• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apollo11capcom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2023
    Terre Haute
    I have limited leather working experience, but I have 2 holsters I'd like to alter.

The first one is a fairly new leather inside waistline holster for a J frame snub, looking to open the bottom to accommodate a J frame with 3" barrel. My biggest concern is how to give it a factory looking finished edge after removing the closed end. If I just cut it open it'll look like just that, a cut piece of leather- light colored, fuzzy looking. The factory edges are treated so they're rounded and the process gave it a darkened smooth edge.

The second holster is an old black police issue gun belt holster (I actually have the entire gunbelt with cuff holder and cartridge holders) that smells as old as it looks. The snaps are corroded and break easily so I'll replace those, and I'd like to treat the leather to rejuvenate it and try to get rid of that awful musty smell. The way it is now, if I put to much pressure on the holster I'm thinking it'll actually crack. At that stage is it beyond help?

Any input from leather guys would be appreciated...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have limited leather working experience, but I have 2 holsters I'd like to alter.

The first one is a fairly new leather inside waistline holster for a J frame snub, looking to open the bottom to accommodate a J frame with 3" barrel. My biggest concern is how to give it a factory looking finished edge after removing the closed end. If I just cut it open it'll look like just that, a cut piece of leather- light colored, fuzzy looking. The factory edges are treated so they're rounded and the process gave it a darkened smooth edge.

The second holster is an old black police issue gun belt holster (I actually have the entire gunbelt with cuff holder and cartridge holders) that smells as old as it looks. The snaps are corroded and break easily so I'll replace those, and I'd like to treat the leather to rejuvenate it and try to get rid of that awful musty smell. The way it is now, if I put to much pressure on the holster I'm thinking it'll actually crack. At that stage is it beyond help?

Any input from leather guys would be appreciated...
    Calling Mr. @freekforge.

Check out this guy’s work. He’s a regular member here.

Top Bottom