• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfy2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems like most would like to,just for self-protection purposes. And some would like to in hunting season. Or when shooting trap or other shooting sports. But as many LEO's feel there is no conflict between personal and property rights. Property rights trump personal rights.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    congratulations. this is now the stupidest post i've read on this forum.

comparing civil rights to carrying a firearm on someone else's private property. :rolleyes:

Since when is carrying a firearm not a civil right?

That is now the "stupidest" post anyone has read on this forum.

wolfy2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly what I'm saying HotD. How can that be. It's why I started this thread. Yes,I choose to work here,thankful for the job. But didn't realize that all the people that worked here gave up their rights to do it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Exactly what I'm saying HotD. How can that be. It's why I started this thread. Yes,I choose to work here,thankful for the job. But didn't realize that all the people that worked here gave up their rights to do it.
    \
    The 2 A is a limitation on government.

T2D4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Nice to know that I completely surrender all my personal rights when I step upon your property.......NOT!

thankfully i saw the first post before responding to the idiocy contained in the second. yikes.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Any "secured facility" is exempt. So if your company has a fence and employees labeled as "security" they're exempt. Any facititly also licensed under the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, is exempt. This includes many hospitals with nuclear medicine or imaging services.

Funny, one my clients has a facility exactly as you described. Barbed wire, armed guards and swipe ID cards to access certain parts of the building. They are in NO way exempt from the "parking lot" law.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Nada, nope.

You are on a public street, not company property, if they suspect you of anything and you are parked on a public street they are SOL, unless they contact the local PD and request a warrant search.

If they suspect you of wrong doing, it's like shoplifting, has to be done after [STRIKE]you are out the door and before you are off the property, otherwise you have grounds for a lawsuit.[/STRIKE] you have passed the LAST POINT OF SALE.

I snatch up people all the time before they walk out the door and they've all been convicted. I've also chased people well off the property and they've all been convicted.

But staying on topic. Your employer can not search your vehicle when ever they want unless you signed off on it. Worst they can do is fire you. Police will need probable cause or a warrant to search it. Your employer simply telling the police they suspect you theft is NOT P.C.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Your employer can not search your vehicle when ever they want unless you signed [STRIKE]off on it[/STRIKE] a contract.

FIFY

Some companies have you sign a contract of sorts. Even a simple one to make sure you understand their rules. Some rules state that your vehicle is subject to search on their property. No PC needed if you signed your rights away when hired.
    The worst thing they will do is let you go if you do not comply.

When in doubt - ask HR. I'm sure they will be happy to look it up for you.

Don't like the rules, don't sign and don't work there. :)

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    FIFY

Some companies have you sign a contract of sorts. Even a simple one to make sure you understand their rules. Some rules state that your vehicle is subject to search on their property. No PC needed if you signed your rights away when hired.
    The worst thing they will do is let you go if you do not comply.

When in doubt - ask HR. I'm sure they will be happy to look it up for you.

Don't like the rules, don't sign and don't work there. :)

A contract that can be terminated at any time, by either party. Situation solved by definition of "employment at will".

However, if an employer does wish to search the vehicle and you don't consent by relinquishing your keys to open it, they simply cannot breach the peace by breaking your window and gaining access. They can't even prevent you from leaving. They may, however, contact law enforcement and file a criminal complaint.

What LE does at that point, is a matter of an investigation and due process.

If the employer doesn't like the rules, they don't have to have anyone park upon their real estate.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    congratulations. this is now the stupidest post i've read on this forum.

comparing civil rights to carrying a firearm on someone else's private property. :rolleyes:

Do as I please? To keep a legally owned firearm in a locked vehicle in the company parking lot which is not a secured area ?

Hell, I thought everybody could keep a firearm locked in their vehicle while at work.

It is not only a civil right, it is a natural right to defend the life your Creator gave you. Absolutely 100%, that is your right. It is also your right to speak and to communicate with others.

It is NOT, however, your right to be on your employer's property, nor anyone's property other than one in which you have an ownership interest.

Case in point (that I've used before) You may extoll the virtues of Arby's Roast Beef Sandwich all you like. You can even, if you choose, pay the local newspaper for some space on their newsprint to do so. I doubt you could pay McDonald's enough money, however, to do so in their dining room. Even if you could, you're paying for it, so it's still not a right. One of my former employers disallowed tobacco anywhere on their property, even in the employees' cars. Caught = fired. I don't agree with laws telling property owners how they're "allowed" to use their property, whether that means a smoking ban or a gun-owner's "parking lot law". The one leads to the other, as we proved here.

I think you meant "at will employment"

and even in an "at will" state you cannot be fired for an illegal reason.

True. See post #116. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    If the company owns the parking lot then you have no recourse. Our company had the same policy. No one enforced it to any degree but it was grounds for dismissal and every one knew it.

Top Bottom