• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I was an Illinois resident. I simply got fed up with the state. I moved to The Dyer/St John area and loved it. I now live in Colorado but I would move back to Indiana if I ever grow tired of Colorado.... translation - many more Californians move here

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I was an Illinois resident. I simply got fed up with the state. I moved to The Dyer/St John area and loved it. I now live in Colorado but I would move back to Indiana if I ever grow tired of Colorado.... translation - many more Californians move here

See ya back here in another year or 2 then :):

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Born and raised here in Fort Wayne, been here nearly the entire time except for a few years back I lived in Columbus Ohio for a while.

Indiana is not bad, certainly worse places to live. Housing prices are fantastic, low cost of living help make it a nice place to live. My main gripe is actually the weather. The older I get, the more I hate the cold. The last several years we have had no spring. Heck, last week we had snow. . . . in May. The wife and I have seriously talked about moving to the Gulf side of Florida but she loves her job up here and I hate for her to give it up. . . just yet.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Just moved to Indiana from illinois March 14th and the wife and I are loving it. Came from a small town to a smaller town only 14 miles away but on the correct side of the state line. Nice quiet place and most everyone seems friendly, of course with us coming from illinois I understand some wondering about us. The whole state is run by chicago democrats, flaming liberals and gun haters, but I will never vote for a democrat in my life.
    Just got new titles and one year plates for my utility trailer, 2004 F-150 and 2004 Harley Davidson total of $225, illinois would have hit me for $350. haven't got our motor home plated yet but it will be a pretty big hit so will pretty much even out. At least the illinois house just sold and we close next week. Took a beating on that but it is still worth it getting out of that cesspool sanctuary state. If I were you I would move as far from chicago and cook county as practical, welcome and good luck. Jim.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    cbhausen summed it up nicely… “The only thing I leave in Illinois is spent hydrocarbons and excrement”. I grew up in Tinley Park, but I won’t spend a dime in that communist state. My motto has become “starve the literal tax and spend beast”.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    cbhausen summed it up nicely… “The only thing I leave in Illinois is spent hydrocarbons and excrement”. I grew up in Tinley Park, but I won’t spend a dime in that communist state. My motto has become “starve the literal tax and spend beast”.

In an earlier thread I said "All I brought from illinois was my wife my dogs and my guns." Jim.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I’ve got a pretty strong philosophy that Indiana is just about the best state. Hear me out:

Outside of Indy/B-town, relatively conservative values all around.
    Still on the conservative end of gun rights.
    Far enough north to not have unbearable summers.
    At least in Central/Southern Indiana, far enough south to not have unbearable winters.
    No hurricanes like the east coast.
    No apocalyptic tornadoes like the states west of us.
    No mountains or oceans. So those places remain interesting to us compared to someone who lives at the ocean or mountains. Basically everywhere outside of Indiana seems like a vacation.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about Indiana. I love it here. My only thing is I wish the Rocky Mountains were only a few hours away so I could experience them more often.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I was preasured into moving to Illinois when my plant in Indiana closed in 2005. I lived in Northern Illinois till retirement in 2017. I moved back to Indiana the next day. Only thing better in Illinois was kite flying. I always said it was because Chicago inhaled so hard.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I was preasured into moving to Illinois when my plant in Indiana closed in 2005. I lived in Northern Illinois till retirement in 2017. I moved back to Indiana the next day. Only thing better in Illinois was kite flying. I always said it was because Chicago inhaled so hard.

I wouldn't want to live there, but there are spots in northern Illinois that are gorgeous. The McHenry County area being one of them.

Jps1983

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2020
    Illinoyed
    Born and raised here in Fort Wayne, been here nearly the entire time except for a few years back I lived in Columbus Ohio for a while.

Indiana is not bad, certainly worse places to live. Housing prices are fantastic, low cost of living help make it a nice place to live. My main gripe is actually the weather. The older I get, the more I hate the cold. The last several years we have had no spring. Heck, last week we had snow. . . . in May. The wife and I have seriously talked about moving to the Gulf side of Florida but she loves her job up here and I hate for her to give it up. . . just yet.

Yea I totally get ya on the weather. I've tried to get my wife to move to Florida every chance I get lol. We have family here In Illinois still, so shes not quite ready for that big of a jump. So we've been looking at areas about an hour or so from were we are now. That's why I had started looking at valpo, but it seems like its leaning to the left a bit, although it may be a bit of an improvement since where I'm from, I'd say the needle is barried in the blue lol.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    If you voted for any member of your current legislature or any of your current state officials, please stay there. Otherwise, make the move. I left Indiana two years ago and I miss it every day. When I drive home from work I frequently forget I'm not in Indiana. I miss a sane government. I miss having a sane governor. I'm just like everyone else though, I'm glad I don't live in Illinois.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I'm a Chicago transplant too, sort of. Moved to Chicago after I graduated from IU. Worked there for around 40 years, lived on the North Side. Retired(2012) and moved to NE Ind. Can't imagine moving back. Overall, it's a lot cheaper and don't have to worry about the politics.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :welcome: 2 :ingo: [SUP]from[/SUP] NWI
    It has already been said about politics, so I will not pile on.

I love Indiana. Born in NJ, it is difficult to believe they once fought for freedom. Army in NC for 8 years I stayed there for another 7. We moved here in 89. It is actually a bit more expensive here.

Oh yeah, if you move to Indiana, you get blamed for all the firearms that find their way into Chicago!

I'm still trying to figure out why Indiana guns go rogue when someone takes them to Chicago. They aren't nearly as dangerous here...

I think they go on Rumspringa.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Very much appreciated

It is the only the Indianapolis guns that go berserk.

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    Indiana is the fifth state I’ve lived in and besides the climate is our favorite. The vehicle registrations here seemed okay compared to KS, NC, and MN. The cost of living here is awesome. The 11 months we lived in MN we were paying 3 times as much for a gallon of milk and housing was outrageous. Even in Hamilton county the cost of living was less than where we lived in NC (Asheville). Plus the politics of the state align with mine.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I live on the Indiana side of the state line just north of 74 very rural area right even with Danville Illinois. Real state around here doesn’t stay for sale long and it’s almost always a young Illinois couple just married or recently with little ones. Seems Illinois, even down state is not family friendly

Top Bottom