• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    i heard it is not good to leave your mags loaded. I got some AR mags i leave loaded i usually put 25 in the they hold 30 and i put 10 in my Springfield XD40 mags and they hold 12. will this hurt them what would it do if i loaded them to the max and let them set.
    just looking to see what other do and think.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i think it just has to do with the mag. spring being compressed all the time it will lose its springyness over time but if that happens you can always just buy new springs

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I leave my duty AR mags loaded all the time with 28 in a 30 round mag and have never had a malfunction related to this. If you do it and notice an issue, just replace the mag springs and continue doing it the way you are. I would rather have to replace mag springs from time to time and have the mags ready than have to load them to be ready. FWIW I have been using the same mags for like 6-7 years and haven't had to replace any mag springs yet.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Unloaded Mags

It will not hurt the magazine springs if they remain loaded. Springs wear through use, compression and release. Unloaded mags are pretty much useless. I don't normally load out to max capacity but that is just my preference. I do cycle through my mags on a fairly regular basis.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Get the MagPul PMAGs. They are working great for me. They also have a dust cover that relieves the pressure from the mag lips. Thats my solution for .223 but I have also never had an issue with any of my Glock mags. I don't see how downloading a few would hurt though.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    It will not hurt the magazine springs if they remain loaded. Springs wear through use, compression and release. Unloaded mags are pretty much useless. I don't normally load out to max capacity but that is just my preference. I do cycle through my mags on a fairly regular basis.

This is true.
    My dad has a 1911 with 4 mags that have been loaded for close to thirty years. every couple years he gets it out, and shoots a few, then loads it back up and stores it for a few more years. last time we shot it a couple years ago, it had no magazine problems (or any other problems for that matter). It fed fine, no misfeeds, double feeds, weakened springs, etc.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    if you have an XD I would fully advise loading that mag full as you as you can because it is a bitch to load when new.

Particularly the XDm. I would also advise taking short breaks during the loading process when you get tired.
    They seem to never fill up.:D

ATM is still firing. Why are you not still firing?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    if you have an XD I would fully advise loading that mag full as you as you can because it is a bitch to load when new.

I just bought some used mags off of another member and they are still a bitch to load. I think they use a leaf spring from a 73 Chevy one ton pickup in those mags.:D

I also keep all my mags full to capacity. being compressed does not wear out spring steel, cycling wears out spring steel. Think about it if your car just sat still all the time would your springs wear out?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I keep all the mags for my Glock full all the time, and all of the mags for my Sig full all the time as well. Yeah, the mag springs may eventually wear out, but any well-made firearm's magazines will likely not experience any malfunctions if they aren't somehow abused. I can definitely see the benefit with reduced mag spring wear by underloading magazines a few rounds under their maximum capacity.

45CalJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I keep all my mags loaded at all times. I thought about unloading my 33 rd mags for my G17 while storing them, but they make too good of a blunt weapon as they are now. If I can't shoot the BG, I can atleast bash his head in with 10lbs of Federal 9mm.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    What I have been told over the years is general rule of thumb is magazines need 8 hours of rest (unloaded) per month, and you can keep them fully loaded for the rest of the time.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Particularly the XDm. I would also advise taking short breaks during the loading process when you get tired.
    They seem to never fill up.:D

ATM is still firing. Why are you not still firing?

Maybe XD shooters should consider using a linked belt conversion, with enough ammo you might be able to eventually hit what you are shooting at!!!:D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Like the other threads have said. Leave them loaded. Cycling doesn't hurt them, and being loaded doesn't hurt them. The best thing you can do for mag springs is keep them clean. If they get corroded then all bets are off, and they will be more likely to fail. If they don't get corrosion on them, the chances of a mag spring failure is slim to none. Car springs fail because corrosion pits act as stress concentrators, not from use.

Top Bottom