• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I used to get brights flashed at me all the time in my Jeep.

As much as I wanted to respond with all 6 Hella 500’s, it turned out I did need to re-aim my lights. Previous owner never did after the lift.

Bonus, you can see a lot better with properly aimed headlights.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Like everything else, light technology has vastly improved. I bought a new truck last month, and I have had several people flash their brights at me. I didn't have my brights on.

They put a whole row of lights on the truck at rear view mirror height.

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    Lots of problems around here is people with trucks loading bed and causing headlights to aim higher and blinding oncoming drivers. Not really much you can do about it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have LED lights on my Jeep. And they all have been properly aimed. The problem is, most people aren’t smart enough to figure out how to aim their lights. It just requires 25’ of level ground, and a couple tools.

Fun fact. Most vehicles with the 52” LED light bars, aren’t hooked up. The owners aren’t able to figure out how to wire them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Lots of problems around here is people with trucks loading bed and causing headlights to aim higher and blinding oncoming drivers. Not really much you can do about it.

Well, if DOT / NHTSA would get serious about self-leveling headlamps like Europe is...

And that scenario accounts for .01%.

A friend drove up, got out, and I said, "Your left headlight is way high."
    "Yeah, it was like that when I bought it a year ago, my husband hasn't taken it to the shop yet."

It took all my effort to keep my mouth shut. Fortunately, I've never met her husband, so he hasn't gotten a dope slap for being so incompetent.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Like everything else, light technology has vastly improved. I bought a new truck last month, and I have had several people flash their brights at me. I didn't have my brights on.

Ditto. New Lincoln Continental and about 50% of folks think the brights are on...until we flash the brights. Just the running light LEDs seem darn bright; then again we don't have fogged over light covers yet either so standing out from the crowd is easy so far.

The eyes have it; clean glass, clean lights and clean glasses are imperative to good night vision.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Recently installed LED's in my motorcycles, and will be switching to LED's when the bulbs in our cages go out.

The problem I personally have is the blue hue HID bulbs, something about them causes SERIOUS havoc with my astigmatism.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This guy is the problem.

B79DF0F0-4D4E-4265-9A4E-DD5AE1D0BB2B_zpsozixikdl.jpg

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    This guy is the problem.

B79DF0F0-4D4E-4265-9A4E-DD5AE1D0BB2B_zpsozixikdl.jpg

This person is creating an unsafe situation and should be pulled over and ticketed, as well as others who abuse their freedom. Steep ticket with 14 days to have it removed or next time 30 days in the slammer or suspended license. It's truly getting out of hand.

LazyAce

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The problem I personally have is the blue hue HID bulbs, something about them causes SERIOUS havoc with my astigmatism.

I have some form of night blindness that warps headlights in the dark (probably my astigmatism), but those blueish HID bulbs destroy my eyes even when I'm wearing my glasses.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have some form of night blindness that warps headlights in the dark (probably my astigmatism), but those blueish HID bulbs destroy my eyes even when I'm wearing my glasses.

I hate those blue lights too. Years ago, they switched to blue lights (or blue and red) for police cars because they determined that there were too many other red lights on vehicles, signs, etc., and they wanted to make sure that the police lights stood out. Shortly after that it seemed like those blue headlights started getting popular. :n00b:

LazyAce

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I hate those blue lights too. Years ago, they switched to blue lights (or blue and red) for police cars because they determined that there were too many other red lights on vehicles, signs, etc., and they wanted to make sure that the police lights stood out. Shortly after that it seemed like those blue headlights started getting popular. :n00b:

I learned my lesson early when the HID/LED's really started gaining traction in newer vehicles. I flashed a couple larger trucks thinking they had their brights on, they flashed back and I almost drove into a ditch. That was when I realized I suffered from a form of night blindness, learned a few techniques like staring at line markings on the road (passenger side) to keep me from veering towards the light. Now I just buy anti glare on my glasses but doesn't always work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I put a set of KC roads lamps on the magic bus. We only use them when driving unlit country roads or seriously dark areas and no oncoming traffic. They are on a dedicated switch so we have to want to use them.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I put a set of KC roads lamps on the magic bus. We only use them when driving unlit country roads or seriously dark areas and no oncoming traffic. They are on a dedicated switch so we have to want to use them.

Back in my college days (first tour) whenever I went home to visit the fam I used to always spend quite a bit of time out at the nearby wildlife refuge. They had a GREAT twisty turny road about 11 miles long that ran from one entrance to another as a two lane state highway. I LOVED the night time runs but being an open range with buffalo, longhorn, elk and other largish and wild animals it could be problematic coming around a turn in the road to see a few hundred buffalo appear at the ragged edges of the minimal although upgraded stock head lights.

Working in a large chain auto parts/hi performance shop at the time I searched the various sources and ordered two KC Daylighters, built a custom mount and roughly centered them in front of the grill of my 66 mustang. I referred to them as my buffalo lights and explained their purpose which usually got a laugh until I told them I was serious! If I remember correctly those things had a 7 mile reflective range and about a kajillion candlepower output. I burned out several "hi power" relays before I upgraded to some industrial relays and a much bigger alternator than the stock wore out alternator on the car.

Damn that was fun!!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, if DOT / NHTSA would get serious about self-leveling headlamps like Europe is...

And that scenario accounts for .01%.

A friend drove up, got out, and I said, "Your left headlight is way high."
    "Yeah, it was like that when I bought it a year ago, my husband hasn't taken it to the shop yet."

It took all my effort to keep my mouth shut. Fortunately, I've never met her husband, so he hasn't gotten a dope slap for being so incompetent.

Many people now can't read instructions, or use a screwdriver.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a oversized light bar on my vehicle because I run backroads and have in my driving career hit 31 deer. I make it a point to turn them off whenever a vehicle is coming or when someone is walking on the side of the road. It all goes back to responsibility and awareness.

I have been too slow on the draw before and some people have got a hit of my lights but I'm always on the lookout. I also warn my kids when they borrow my vehicle of the extra lighting on the front of the vehicle.

usually the only people that get hit with my lights are people I want hit. So the other night you J****** got hit it was on purpose

Top Bottom