• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I am brand new to reloading, and have been reading anything I could for the last month or so. I'm loading 9mm for now (maybe 5.56 down the road), with more time than money on my hands, and I want to shoot between 400-500 rounds a month. I think I am going with the Lee Classic Turret, since using it as a single stage will benefit me the most while being able to transition it out of single stage might be useful.

Does anyone have objections and/or advice on this press? A better alternative?

Also, does anyone know if there is a shop in Indiana that sells them? I figured it would be better to support a local business and not pay shipping at the same time, as long as it isn't too far away (+/- 30 miles from Camby)

:ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Lee Classic turret is a great budget press that offers a lot of flexibility. Not sure about local to Greenwood. The best prices I have seen are online. Try FS reloading or Titan reloading.

If you just want to load 9mm for USPSA and don't mind giving up the flexibility of the turret, I would recommend a Dillon Square Deal. They are about $400 new and good presses for loading 9mm. They are pistol only and kind of expensive and a pain to switch cartridges.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    The Lee Classic turret is a great budget press that offers a lot of flexibility. Not sure about local to Greenwood. The best prices I have seen are online. Try FS reloading or Titan reloading.

If you just want to load 9mm for USPSA and don't mind giving up the flexibility of the turret, I would recommend a Dillon Square Deal. They are about $400 new and good presses for loading 9mm. They are pistol only and kind of expensive and a pain to switch cartridges.

I have looked on FS Reloading and was planning on ordering it on there if there wasn't anything local, but figured it was worth a shot

Loading just for USPSA crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if limiting myself like that may be a bad move right off the bat...Also the Lee is about half as much

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I started off with the Lee Classic about 4 months ago. It was fine starting out and for some people it can be a great option. I bought mine off Amazon i believe as it was the cheapest option.

It just depends on how much you shoot. I started USPSA at about the same time and shoot approximately 700 9mm a month. With my Military schedule and other life activities it didn't take long for me to realize I needed something more efficient so I bought a used Dillon 550 from Bobcat. I plan to keep the turret for less used calibers and the Dillon only for 9mm/45acp.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    ...I started USPSA at about the same time and shoot approximately 700 9mm a month. With my Military schedule and other life activities it didn't take long for me to realize I needed something more efficient so I bought a used Dillon 550 from Bobcat. I plan to keep the turret for less used calibers and the Dillon only for 9mm/45acp.

This is kind of what I was planning on, getting into the swing of reloading and updating my equipment if I need to. Like I said, right now I have more time than money, so I don't have a problem taking 5 hours a week to reload if that means I get to shoot when I want..

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I loaded on a turret for a couple years. Great press, but when I started USPSA I upgraded to a progressive(Loadmaster) and load 9 mm quickly. Turret is still hanging out on the bench to load lesser calibers and rifle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    More time then money? Go with the turret press. I really enjoyed loading on mine. I did not find it to be much slower then the progressive. Always same like something is slowing down the progressive. This is usually a spent primer not popping out or the primers failing to feed. With the turret you can usually catch this stuff right off the bat. Plus switching calibers is a breeze.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I started with the Lee, it will do the job. I also have a RCBS Rockchucker I use for depriming rifle. I upgraded to a 550.
    Not local to you but, Kempf's in Michigan City is a Lee dealer, they have a web page, or at least they used to.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like my lee pro 1000. Gave me some trouble getting it properly setup but once its dialed in it works great.

Get a good scale and set of calipers. Shop around and find deals on your components.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have the Lee Classic Turret press and like it.
    It is faster than a single stage. I like that I can run it like a single stage, or speed it up a bit. If I understand your position (balancing budget and time), it should be a great press for you.
    Don't forget online sites like Midwayusa -- if you catch them with a generic sale (like $25 off of $200, etc) it can really help to make the cost very competitive.

I pieced together my own kit, but their starter kit is ok as well. (I'd suggest getting a second manual and a different/better scale)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah the scale in the kit sucks! But if all a person does is uses the autodisc measure then it is really all you need. The size of the hole in the disc determines how much powder is dropped. You need a scale to double check the disc, but otherwise there is no adjustment. I actually liked the autodisc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yeah the scale in the kit sucks! But if all a person does is uses the autodisc measure then it is really all you need. The size of the hole in the disc determines how much powder is dropped. You need a scale to double check the disc, but otherwise there is no adjustment. I actually liked the autodisc.

Yeah, the autodisk is actually pretty great for basic handgun loads!
    I got the double disk set to get a bit more variety.

Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I am brand new to reloading, and have been reading anything I could for the last month or so. I'm loading 9mm for now (maybe 5.56 down the road), with more time than money on my hands, and I want to shoot between 400-500 rounds a month. I think I am going with the Lee Classic Turret, since using it as a single stage will benefit me the most while being able to transition it out of single stage might be useful.

Does anyone have objections and/or advice on this press? A better alternative?

Also, does anyone know if there is a shop in Indiana that sells them? I figured it would be better to support a local business and not pay shipping at the same time, as long as it isn't too far away (+/- 30 miles from Camby)

:ingo:

Try Bradis 2 in camby. That's where I got mine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Titan has a very good selection of parts for the turret press as well. I ordered from them and was happy.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    If you end up with a Lee press, get the auto drum powder measure instead of the auto-disk. It's a more accurate with drops and easier to dial in.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    If you end up with a Lee press, get the auto drum powder measure instead of the auto-disk. It's a more accurate with drops and easier to dial in.
    I agree! I have never used the auto disk powder measure, but do have the auto drum powder measure on top of my classic turret press and really like it. I do not see any reason why I would go to the disk with how well the auto drum works. And, it is seems more intuitive to set up and use.

Side note: Buy the Lee Riser to set the powder measure up a little higher so that you dont have an issue with your other dies being in the way.

Top Bottom