• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Greenwood
    Ok, I am ready to take the plunge into reloading and am wanting some feed back from any INGO's who have used the Lee Load Master. Any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I am wanting to reload for MG , USPSA and IDPA matches. Shooting a 9mm, 40 cal and 223.

:patriot:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have a Lee Pro 1000 and have had zero problems (granted I have only loaded about 200 rounds with it) I also have an RCBS single stage and have had no problems with it either.

So I am sorry I cant give you an info on this press. If you want one for a little cheaper check out this website:

Lee Precision Factory Sales - Lee Load Master

It is the cheapest I have found!

You might want to start on a single stage just to get the feel. Some times it is hard to use the priming device on my Pro 1000 and it I noticed that I need to keep the primer tray as full as possible. My single stage helped me get into reloading. Get a few good books and study up!

Good luck, you will love reloading!!! I would give you a quick lesson and let you make some rounds but I leave for basic on Monday, if you hold off on the press I will help you out when I get back!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am a fan of Lee as value for the money in general, but the Loadmaster is not one I can recommend. I have one and it's finicky. When I have it running smoothly it's great, I can crank out the ammo, but when something jams taking it apart to clear it is a royal PITA. It requires a lot more finesse than the other progressives. I've considered selling mine since I seem to spend more and more time loading on my turret press.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Don't listen to the Lee haters - my LoadMaster has been rock solid and given me no problems whatsoever. It's a fantastic value considering everything that it can do.

There is one thing about the LoadMaster that really sucks though, and that's the setup instructions. Fortunately there's a lot of information online that'll help make that easier:

The LoadMaster Zone: Great videos and forum.
    Lee's own setup videos
    LoadMaster setup guide
    Google

MJ317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thanks

Zoglog and EvilElmo, thanks for the info and links. So far more Pros than Cons towards the LLP. Looking forward to getting started. Will post the outcome and progress. Thanks again. :patriot:

ctomuir

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    North West Indianapolis
    I Love my Lee Load Master now, once i took of the primer feed, it seemed like i spent most of my time fixing cases with upside down or side ways primers, i use a RCBS hand primer now , the press works like a dream, i have recently started to use a Hornady powder measure and a dillon powder check

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So far so good. The Pro AutoDisc doesn't like Unique, or perhaps it's the other way around.

I thought long and hard about whether to get the Lee or the Hornady LNL-AP. Glad I got the Lee, especially now that I hear so much about priming problems on the LNL-AP.

You may want to get a couple of the small plastic parts to have on hand. For instance, one of my kids walked by and was fooling with the press and slid the little primer feed thingy over then raised the ram. Crushed it.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    MJ317, curious if you've gotten started yet.

I'm with EvilMo. :twocents: The Lee LoadMaster and other Lee products are in two different camps IMO. I bought a Lee LoadMaster after months of reading online, and was setup and ready to go in one pistol caliber for less than $400, including brass, bullets, primers, and powder.

Of course it never ends, and after showing Dad the setup, I'll be buying his caliber dies, turret, and shell plate soon so he can join the fun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Lee and Hornady

I have used a hornady progressive almost since they first came out in late '70s or so. The only problem I have ever had with the Hornady primer system was with the last primer in the tube. Solution was to get a plastic rod like Dillon uses or to not let the primer tube get that empty (again, get a plastic rod like Dillon uses).
    The Hornady is the best I have seen ergonomically and for being able to watch what is happening. Dillon and Lee presses seems more crowded and cluttered.
    Heard a lot of complaints about Lee primer system, but the weak link of ALL progrssive presses is the primer system. Personally, from what I have seen (see you tube and such), too many people with Lee presses do not have the press mounted solidly enough. Progressive presses need to be mounted "tight."
    Look at the Lee videos ( Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Setup and Operation Help Videos ), particularly the turret press with the auto-indexing. This appears perfect for rifle reloading or for any one who wants to prime by hand.

one shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Save your money and buy a Hornady I wish I would have! Be prepared to hand prime if you do buy the Lee you will understand after you own one.

Reloader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    The Loadmaster can certainly be finicky as well as the 1000 model but once adjusted it rocks. Youtube has some good videos on setting up a loadmaster that are worth the watch. My biggest grip on the loadmaster is the shot fall on the primer tray ...not letting it get to low helps with most primer problems. Enjoy!

Top Bottom