• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I swear somewhere I have seen a Lee Loader for 12 ga shotshells. I don't find them on Lee's website now or see them listed for sale anywhere.

Do they make them or did they make them at one time?

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Anyone have any experience with it? I'm thinking about getting one as well. The price is definitely right. Also, can you do multiple shells at once, or do you have to run a single shell through all the stages before starting on the next one?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lee had a one step at a time, Lee Loader kit a long time ago, when paper shotshell hulls were the norm. You also need the bathroom scale to seat those old school wad pressures. My uncle did shells that way as a kid.

The Lee press they sell now is cheap,pretty much all plastic, and you must move one shell at a time through the whole process. It really does not size your hulls, so that is a limitation. The plastic bushings (that gauge your powder) are pretty marginal and fine grain powders leak a lot. They do not hold up if you are going to be doing much reloading. Lee is pretty good about selling replacement parts when it breaks down.

My recommendation is to look around for a MEC Jr. the 500 or the 600 is fine. It was produced as a no frilles, entry level machine and they DO hold up. My first MEC Jr, was $29.00 NEW on sale, and it is still making good shotshells. I think new is almost 5 times that money now. I just picked up a used one in 20 gauge for $70.00. My MEC Grabber is from 1976 and has loaded 10's of thousands of rounds, and other than a spring and wad guide fingers, has needed nothing.

I do not know anyone who started with the Lee shot loader that didn't stop reloading or buy something else pretty much right away

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    My recommendation is to look around for a MEC Jr. the 500 or the 600 is fine. It was produced as a no frilles, entry level machine and they DO hold up.

:+1: for the MEC. I have two Jr's a 12 & 20 gauge and a 12 gauge 650. Awesome!

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    Back when I had my FFL I purchased a Lee LOAD - ALL II. I just wanted to have the capability to reload shot shells too. The Lee LOAD - ALL II is like the RCBS Jr. was, a single stage press. One shell at a time. As far as quality its a Lee...it's OK, and gets the job done but not something a trap shooter would want. For me, the occasional shotgun shooter it's just not worth my time to reload shot shells but at least I can if I want..

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    No, I'm not looking for a reloading press. I had two MEC shotshell reloaders and sold both of them because I have no use for a shotshell press.

What I'm looking for is a Lee Loader kit. I have one for reloading rifle cartridges and want one just like it for shotshells, too.

This is what a Lee Loader looks like:
    http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-22-hornet.html

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Whatever floats your boat. There are a couple up for bid on ebay.

Thanks for the tip. All used ones for sale. I guess they used to make them but don't make them any more.

And, holy moly, looking at the prices they are selling for, I'm not the only man who wants one! If it weren't for the crimp starter I think I'd just make one of my own for alot cheaper than that. I wonder if I could get a MEC crimp starter and bodge something up from that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is easy to get a crimp starter die from MEC for their presses. Even Midway sells them. You select 8 point of 6 point and the gauge.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    Saw a guy at the Crane Credit Union many years ago. Normally when someone is all bandaged up I try not to stare or say anything..this particular time I asked "what happened" to which he replied, You ever heard of a Lee Loader.
    nuf said.

gemihur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got one in 16ga. I got it because the commercially available loads when available did not often come with preferred shot size. They work pretty good and after a little practice you can actually improve your shotshell performance from digesting Federal and Winchester shells. Very cost effective also.
    If you get your hands on one you won't regret it! :thumbsup:

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    If you mean the Red top Plastic Loaders, don't buy it. I bought both a 20g & 12g and ended up giving them away and buying Mecs in 12, 20, 28, & 410. After loading a few cases of shells I just couldn't take it any more. too slow.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I just gave away a Lee Load all to a fellow INGO member. It will load shells, but very slow. I use only MECs . I have loaded many thousands of shells with them.

Dave

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've got one that used to be my dads and he used it quite a bit back in the day. I deprimed and reprimed about 250 shells with it. I just haven't found out what kind of powder I need and what kind of loads I want. I bought a lyman shotshell book but its all so specific that I'm not sure if ill mees things up. Some of my hulls are remington and some winchester and all my wads are winchester. Is it really that big of deal to mix them up just a bit from the book?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have 10 &12 GA sets (not for sale) can't say they're a great way to load shells ..hard to get a tight crimp only keep them for sentimental reasons and SHTF. I do wish Lee would make a set for.410
    that work in a standard press...I don't shoot enough. 410 to justify buying a Mec.

Top Bottom