• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am looking to purchase my 1st reloading kit. I am looking at one of the Lee kits and the Rock Chucker Master kit. I will be reloading .223 and 40 SW to start out. I'm having a hard time deciding.
    I've head that the Rock Chucker is one of the better ones and that I will not be disappointed, nothing really negative. I've heard from some that the Lee is great and if a perfect starter press. I have read and been told that the Lee is a little loose and may cause issues if I want to get into precision shooting. The price difference between the two kits are quite a bit. I've got $300 or less to spend on the kit.
    What to do?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Buy once, cry once. Every time I bought less than what I wanted I was never satisfied until I finally cut loose the money. Then you have to sell what you didn't want in the first place. You will never have to sell the Rock Chucker.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Unless things have changed, Lee kits come with their little aluminum frame "Challenger" press. It works ok but does not have the strength or the leverage of a larger sized, iron framed press like the Rock Chucker or the Redding boss. Both of those are iron framed. I prefer the Redding because the frame is set about 30 degrees out of line which makes seeing what you are doing a little easier. From prior experience, the Lee works for pistols and smaller rifles, but full length sizing .308 and bigger, the Lee is really taxed.

As far as the kit, it is hard to find a powder scale that isn't better than the Lee. Same with the powder measure. Lee dies are fine, but most of their other equipment is cheaper to buy because it is cheaper made. Like the man said, spend a little more and end up with something that is better. Good Luck

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    I started with a Lee setup, and while I have had absolutely not trouble with the press and dies, the rest of the kit is sub par. I would definitely go Rock Chucker, but I would talk to Andrew at Profire. He set my buddy up with a "kit" for a great price. My buddy got everything and more he needed (and wanted) and didn't spend any more than a kit would have cost online. Just my .02

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Buy once, cry once. Every time I bought less than what I wanted I was never satisfied until I finally cut loose the money. Then you have to sell what you didn't want in the first place. You will never have to sell the Rock Chucker.

^^^+1-To add to BGDave, I like the older model of the RockChucker. They can be had on E-Bay for around the $100 range, and will serve you for life.
    You will also find that some of the items in the "Kits" are the things that you will want to replace down the road also. The three main QUALITY items that you will need:
    1.Good press
    2. GREAT scale
    3. Good powder measure

If you stay with RCBS, Redding, or Dillon, E-Bay can be your friend. If there is ANY problems with these Mfg. tools, these companies will make it right. Just my 2 cents worth..Bill.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I bought the Lee kit for reloading a few years ago. Started with .308 and now I also do my .40 S&W on it. Will soon be doing .223 on it as well.

There is nothing wrong with the press. I didn't like the powder scale it came with, so I bought an RCBS Rangemaster 750 to compensate. I also had trouble getting the priming system to work on the press, so I bought a hand priming tool as well. I get great results from it. The same results as my friend does with his Rock Chucker when it comes to accuracy.

However, when using his Rock Chucker, I especially liked the cam-over feature. It allows you to push as hard as you want and the piston won't move any further. That way you know where it is set and as long as your die isn't moving, you'll have great consistency. His was also much taller, which allowed more room to set the bullet in before it goes into the die. (.308 due to length of the cartridge. Probably won't have that problem .223 and definitely not .40)

That's my two cents. :)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have owned and used a Rock Chucker since 1979, started with .38, and currently load 9mm, .41, .44, .45, both LC, and acp, .223 and .308... LOVE it !!!!!

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I agree with mattdennis3.. Talk to Andrew @ profire, he's a great guy in general and also knows his reloading so when you have questions you also have someone with tons of knowledge.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you're loading a fairly high volume of pistol and 223 ammo, go with the Lee Classic Turret press. It will cost right around $100, brand new. Do not buy the Lee kit.

If you're loading a lower volume of precision bolt-action rifle loads, get the RCBS Rock-Chucker kit. It costs a lot more, but is still a great value.

Neither will disappoint you. If you get the green press (RCBS) and want to load a bunch of ammo, you'll wish you had the speed and convenience of something a little faster. Talk to Andrew, or any experienced reloader. They'll help you make the right choices.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I love the Rock Chucker. I've got probably 100,000 pulls of the lever and it operates like it was brand new. The only reason I don't use it much any longer is that I bought a progressive press from Hornady.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    On this same note, does anyone have any experience with an RCBS "partner" press? They are around $75. I wonder if they are iron framed. I have only seen them in the catalog. Thanks

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Reloading is one thing I have found where "going green" has never had any regrets. That being said I loaded for 10 years on my Lee Challenger and never had a problem, including .30-06 rounds. I will be giving it to my best friend so he can get started. They work, but they are not as solid as the iron framed models.

As an aside, I hated the Lee turret I have. Will be selling it someday.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I bought the Lee and have been very happy with it for several years now. I upgraded the scale as soon as I could and went with an RCBS powder dispenser/scale setup. Amazing accuracy and cost savings. I reload .45 acp, .223 , and .357. I hope to upgrade to progressive but will hang on to the Lee for percision rifle and hunting rounds one at a time.

Top Bottom