Lee powder measure options. Best accuracy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    All load data is based on a +/- 0.1gn charge range. All powder measures will throw a range of 0.3gn with almost all powders.
    The only powder measure that has done at all better than the Lee PAD or Hornady L-N-L measure is my Lee PPM, but even my Dillon measures all produce loads just as accurate for handguns out to 50 yards. It just doesn't matter.
    The issue with TiteGroup is it will occsionally produce pressure spikes/velocity variations even with individually weighed charges and the range from start to max is often so small that the PAD only has a couple of cavities you can use and I simply don't get decent enough accuracy to put up with the issues I have with that powder.
    We can go through ways to get a bit more consistency, but you REALLY are right where the industry expects you to be.
    If you still can't live with it, get an RCBS ChargeMaster.
    Finally, never had any issue with 231/HP38 being consistent in my powder measures. If you do, there is something besides the powders causing the issue--unless the residual solvent content on that lot is high and the powder clumps.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    THIS

These work well. And they work best against a concrete floor. (3 solid strikes on concrete vs 10 on my bench to get them loose)

Lyman Magnum Inertia Bullet Puller : Cabela's

Though if I screwed up more I'd get one of these for my press (just add collets)
    Hornady® Cam-Lock Bullet Puller : Cabela's

Not that I use it often but I started with the inertia puller and went to the collet style just to cut down on cleanup. If you already have a suitable press, just go with the collet puller, it's only a few bucks more but SOOOOOOOO much easier.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I have the Lee Auto Drum and it is very consistent. I am new to reloading but I have heard Varget does not meter very well. The Varget worked well in my auto drum though. I have also tried CFE233 and CFEPistol. The charges for those two are accurate as well but the drum does leak a little with those two. I don't want to over tighten it though because I don't know just how much tightening the plastic can take.

tranders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Clinton County
    I use the standard Lee disk thrower and have no problem at all metering Titegroup. I am curious what are you using for a powder scale?
    If you are using a cheap digital scale make sure it is not fluctuating. I bought a cheap Hornady digital scale and it won't hold zero for nothing.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I use the standard Lee disk thrower and have no problem at all metering Titegroup. I am curious what are you using for a powder scale?
    If you are using a cheap digital scale make sure it is not fluctuating. I bought a cheap Hornady digital scale and it won't hold zero for nothing.

Since you bring it up, the environment for the scale matters too. A draft, nearby magnetic fields, wobbly table (or floor), vibrations, and more can affect scales as sensitive as we're talking about. A cheap scale in a good environment/setup is going to be worlds better than a fantastic scale in a room with a draft.

tranders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Clinton County
    Since you bring it up, the environment for the scale matters too. A draft, nearby magnetic fields, wobbly table (or floor), vibrations, and more can affect scales as sensitive as we're talking about. A cheap scale in a good environment/setup is going to be worlds better than a fantastic scale in a room with a draft.
    I agree 100%

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I have been using a Pro 1000 with the auto disc since about 1991. In many handgun calibers and tens of thousands of rounds. For Bullseye, PPC, IDPA, IPSC, steel and just shooting.

I don't know how much my charge deviation is. I have never checked it. I just load and load.

I probably am not a good reloader.

this is me too.

I need something that goes bang, cycles the gun, and puts a hole on the paper. Personally I have seen no handgun load that improves a handgun shooters groups. In other words, I don’t think the handgun shooter is being limited by his load. That being said, I’m not a handgun benchrest shooter.

Top Bottom