• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    About two lustrums ago I started using the Lee Factory Crimp Die Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die - Lee Precision. As a certified NRA Metallic Reloading Instructor I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about with this crimp die. Back in the day I was loading over 18 different calibers but have dwindled to 14 as I am slowing down these days. Still with two favorite loads for each caliber that means my bench is busy with 28 plus handloads. For instance, I will keep factory Ammo on hand but load a Factory Duplication load and an alternate load as well. The alternate load is usually special purpose or a lighter load.

Back in my Benchrest days, I of course would turn necks, size cases, separate lots, and take painstakingly measures to build the best ammo for my custom guns. I have never, or do not intend to run rifle ammo on a progressive machine. I use the old RockChucker Rock Chucker Supreme Press | RCBS single stage for my rifle rounds. However, I may be looking into this new RCBS Summit Press. Anybody out there got one?

I owe a lot of gratitude to Richard Lee. He brought to market lower cost reloading products and for tighter budgets he proved that one could still get the good equipment needed. My first loading tool was a Lee Loader. I think it cost me almost $5. It ended up costing more as I destroyed my moms kitchen table pounding on the tool. I learned then that you can not have too sturdy of a bench. His book Modern Reloading Modern Reloading 2nd Ed - Lee Precision contains a wealth of information.

Okay, so time to compare this Lee FCD with my age old RCBS crimp dies. I will admit that I never cared for the looks of factory crimped ammunition as I prefer a more smoother transition between the brass and the shaft, bearing surface or cannelure. Anyway, getting over the looks, pictured for comparison, are a few .30 WCF, or 30-30 as the kids like to call it. Take note (sorry for not the best pictures) that the factory round has the top part of the cannelure exposed, while my factory duplication load runs the brass to the top of the ring. For the small difference, it allows me to determine the round at a glance as a duplicate load. My alternate loads are easily distinguished as they contain a whole different bullet. I keep an extra seater die in the box preset for my alternate rounds. For instance, in my .223 I will run Federal Factory 55Ball, a factory dup load, and my alternate load is a 69GR Sierra for bigger stuff like yotes and stuff.

Using the Chargemaster Lite Chargemaster Lite | RCBS has been a huge improvement for hand charging cases with powder. I have it set up on a counter separate from the bench (less vibration) and out of any draft. I had a ChargeMaster Combo but it was overkill for my purposes. This Lite model is quick and accurate, more user friendly and takes up less space.

Now being a cheap skate, I use the factory boxes that the ammo came in by turning them inside out and labeling them accordingly to secure my handloads. I got rid of all my plastic ammo boxes as I do not fly anymore and have no use for them. I find them too cumbersome for the bulk amount of shooting that I do. Just me.

Ten years later I can say that this FCD is well worth the money. I still can get MOA groups without constant trimming. I leave no score on bullet jackets and these things are easy to clean and adjust. As far as the more accurate claim, that is hard for me to say since I have always loaded accurate and consistent ammo and this die produces the same. However, with less work. I like that. I know that some industry bullet makers do not support the FCD. I am not sure if this is a marketing result or an embarrassment that they did not patent this themselves. Who knows, but I had to find out for myself and it works for me.

Thank you for reading my posts and Good Loading!

IMG_0731 (002).jpg IMG_0736 (002).jpg IMG_0737 (002).jpg IMG_0739 (002).jpg IMG_0742 (002).jpg IMG_0745 (002).jpg IMG_0747 (002).jpg IMG_0748 (002).jpg IMG_0749 (002).jpg IMG_0750 (002).jpg

Businessend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side
    Nice review. I just ordered one of these and can’t wait for it to come in. Are you loading handgun on a progressive press like the Lee loadmaster?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Nice review. I just ordered one of these and can’t wait for it to come in. Are you loading handgun on a progressive press like the Lee loadmaster?

That is how I load 45acp which is what I shoot the most of by a wide margin. I use the Lee four hole turret press for the rest of my handgun calibers and a Lee single stage for 454Casull and rifle calibers. Everything gets the Lee FCD with one exception, I shoot IDPA mostly with a S&W 625 moon clip 45acp. I load the 45's as normal with the FCD then I run the rounds destined for the revolver through my single stage with a 45 caliber roll crimp. Not only does this prevent the bullets pulling out of the case but the crimp helps the moon clip fall in the cylinder without catching on a square edge of a taper crimp. Jim.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Very good writeup. While Trapper Jim's review is on the LFC dies for rifles, others started mentioning LFC for pistols. Those are totally different animals. I have used a couple of LFC dies for a few rifles (lever guns and semi-autos), but I do not crimp bottleneck rounds for bolt-action or single-shot guns.

One the subject of LFC dies for handguns, I do not like them much. Besides crimping, the die also sizes the loaded round in the pistol dies. I shoot mostly lead in my revolvers (I shoot mostly revolvers) and some powder coated lead for 9mm. If you load lead, which is mostly larger than jacketed bullets, the lead bullets will get sized down to the nominal diameter. I load my Sig 9mm pistols with coated lead sized to .357". If I used a LFC die, that would size that bullet down to a size that is not optimal for my Sigs. Most likely by .002" smaller.

I suggest that if you load lead in your handguns, especially if they are slightly larger diameter, stay away from the LFC dies. They are fine with jacketed, but I don't feel that they are really needed. For more info on this, check out the Cast Boolits site: Cast Boolits

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Very good writeup. While Trapper Jim's review is on the LFC dies for rifles, others started mentioning LFC for pistols. Those are totally different animals. I have used a couple of LFC dies for a few rifles (lever guns and semi-autos), but I do not crimp bottleneck rounds for bolt-action or single-shot guns.

One the subject of LFC dies for handguns, I do not like them much. Besides crimping, the die also sizes the loaded round in the pistol dies. I shoot mostly lead in my revolvers (I shoot mostly revolvers) and some powder coated lead for 9mm. If you load lead, which is mostly larger than jacketed bullets, the lead bullets will get sized down to the nominal diameter. I load my Sig 9mm pistols with coated lead sized to .357". If I used a LFC die, that would size that bullet down to a size that is not optimal for my Sigs. Most likely by .002" smaller.

I suggest that if you load lead in your handguns, especially if they are slightly larger diameter, stay away from the LFC dies. They are fine with jacketed, but I don't feel that they are really needed. For more info on this, check out the Cast Boolits site: Cast Boolits

I have only used the LEE FCD with one handgun load and that is 9mm. I load a lot of cast and coated lead Bullets with it. I agree that it is different than the rifle dies. However, I have had no problems with extra sizing going on. Having said that, lead, lube and coating builds up on the inside wall channel. It would be nice if they designed it with a quick release head for cleaning.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Took me about 5-6 dummy rounds before I got it right with the Lee FCD. Die is great, error was between the floor and the die adjustment knob. :):

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Has anybody done an accuracy test with rifle rounds, with crimp, without crimp. Might prove interesting.

There have been several posted over the years. As with anything involved with accuracy, it's variable because the rifle, chamber, bullet, charge weight, brass, and powder type all come in to play.

With all of that though, for SOME combinations of those listed above show improvement. It's not a guarantee in all occasions though.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Crimp is another variable introduced into ammo, consistentncy in crimping makes a difference.
    With bottle neck cases, *IF* you can get the case shoulder consistently placed, then the FCD can do its job consistently.
    What I see is WAY over crimped rounds...
    I did this myself until someone pointed it out that I only need enough crimp to keep the bullet in place through the chambering cycle.
    That was 40 years ago, and I went out and bought a collet and pressure gauge (in pounds/ounces).
    That helped me a lot to figure this out...
    Crimping deforms the bullet, the more you crimp the more the bullet is deformed.
    Now I have access to a CNC stretch/compression machine, just speeded things up a little, no way I'd pay $50,000 for one just for reloading, so the collet ($15) and the pull pressure gauge ($40) still do the job really well.
    What you CAN'T do,
    The 'Push Test', putting the bullet nose against something solid and pushing.
    You are trying to determine what pressure it takes to move the bullet FORWARD out of the case once you have enough crimp to keep the bullet seated during the loading cycle.
    Once the cartridge is chambered, it's all about the bullet releasing consistently, and that's OUT of the case.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I've got the factory crimp die for .223. Works as advertised for cannelured bullets. Haven't shot enough of them for accuracy to say the effect.

All else being equal, I don't see how a crimp could improve accuracy. It's another variable to add in the mix. I know you sure don't see many crimped rounds used in highpower, across the course (well, maybe the occasional shooter shooting mk262), or F-class.

Oh, I've been using a Summit press since last Christmas. Works as advertised. Only complaint is that the screws/bolts have come loose a couple of times in 2500 rounds or so. Not cool, but not catastrophic.

It's a nicer press than my Lee breech-lock, no doubt, but I can't say it has dramatically increased my scores. Maybe a pont or two, and a handful of X's, but that could also just be my skills improving.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Has anybody done an accuracy test with rifle rounds, with crimp, without crimp. Might prove interesting.
    I did a test a few years ago with a Ruger American Ranch 300blk. I developed a very accurate load using 125gr SST's and Lil'Gun. I then tested accuracy with crimped vs non-crimped loads. The non-crimped loads produced noticeably better groups at 100 yds.

That's just my experience with one rifle and cartridge though, not saying that is true across the board. I tend to crimp any cartridge that will be cycled through a semi-automatic firearm, just for safety's sake.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom