• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matthewquigley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I have a Lee turret press that I love. I'm looking at getting the Hornady dies because I really like the idea of the micrometer on the seating die. Will the Hornady die work with the Lee press? I'm still pretty new at this and this die seems like an easier way to load my .223 rounds since OAL is so critical. Thanks!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    OAL to the ogive is critical...most dies, with or without a micrometer adjustment, are quite consistent at repeating that dimension. I'm loading 1/3-MOA rounds for a factory 308 rifle using plain old RCBS dies. No micrometer needed. YMMV :twocents: n' all that.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Yes, the Hornady dies will work. All modern dies (with the exception of conversions for the Dillon SDB) are threaded in 7/8"x14" threads, as are all single stage, turret, and progressive presses (with the noted exception above). Interchangeability between modern dies and presses is not a problem.

The only time that OAL becomes a factor is with VLD bullets, which I assume you're not using to start. If you are using VLD bullets, then make sure you invest in dies that allow for a standard/VLD bullet seating plug change. Again, 99.99% of the time this is not an issue.

If you're using XM193, SS109, or standard mil profile bullets, you're in the clear.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    The micrometer allows you to return to a given COL. However, how many times do you need to return to the same COL? If you shoot a bunch of different bullets, how many times are you going back to that bullet? If you shoot a lot of a single bullet, how many times will you lose your die setting?
    It sure doesn't make the COL variation any less as that has to do with variations in individual bullet ogive and any flex in the press. The die simply sits there.
    Buy what makes you happy, but be sure that what you buy will at least give you the result you are paying for.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Make a dummy round with each of your bullets.

Then when you load that bullet again, (simplified version!) put the dummy round in your press and screw the die and bullet seater down on the dummy round and voila, you're ready to load.

Double check the COL on the first round, obviously, to make sure it's where you want it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Make a dummy round with each of your bullets.

Then when you load that bullet again, (simplified version!) put the dummy round in your press and screw the die and bullet seater down on the dummy round and voila, you're ready to load.

Double check the COL on the first round, obviously, to make sure it's where you want it.

That's the way I was taught...and it's worked just great for more years than I care to count! :D

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Hornady dies are probably the worst dies made, in terms of the finished product's concentricity. Their results get worse as bullet profile gets better and their VLD stem doesn't have much effect.

Luckily mic heads for both seaters and/or sizers are available from nearly all manufacturers. I particularly like them for sizers as they greatly speed up the process of matching headspace to chamber. Seaters not so much as I use the dummy round setup process as described above. They aren't a liability regardless and when loading small lots of a few hundred rounds per bullet/chamber or chasing lands or the like, they cut out some time at the bench.

matthewquigley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice! I've been using the dummy round method. I think I'll just use the saved money to buy more powder, bullets, brass, etc! lol...loving my my Nosler Varmageddon. Puts the hurt on groundhogs!!

Top Bottom