• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Ok so I bought a Pro 1000 press a while back that's 9mm. I haven't set it up yet but from my reading I am finding that a lot of the issues with this press seem to be related to the primer feed. I noticed some people suggesting removing the depriming pin and hand priming every case before hand instead of using the one on the press. Just wondering your guys experienced opinions on this? If it would be a better option to do so then I'm not opposed to that, and what hand priming tool would be the best one to buy?

I was originally wanting a single stage press but found this new for a good deal so I bought it instead. I am finding out a lot of bad reviews about this press now after doing more research. I'm thinking maybe I should have just went with the single stage since I'm new to reloading.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just make sure you fill the tray once its empty. The primers in the chute need the weight if those in the tray to feed reliably. Also get a feel for it, watch to make sure the primers in the chute "click" down one position with each stroke and feel it seat properly. If you don't think it seated, verify by slightly advancing the turret and removing the brass to check. If you dump powder into a case that didn't get primed, it will gunk up the feed and cause way more issues. Once you get it tuned and are able to 'feel' any issues in the stroke, you'll find that the problems are few and very far between and easily corrected on the fly.

I probably have only about 1-2 priming issues out of every 500 rounds, and its usually when I don't notice the primer tray is empty and the chute is down to about half. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have used a Pro 1000 for a very long time. It is setup at the moment for 9mm. I don't know how many 10's of thousands of rounds I have loaded with it. A couple hundred or more every hour.

There is definately a rythm I have developed to feel the primer enter the case and then seat it. Slow is best while you watch the primers move down the chute then stop. At that point you can seat the primer. With alacrity.

Every now and again, use something to slide the row of primers in the chute back up into the tray. This will clear out the odd dot of crud that might hang up the primers in the chute.

Also, I tap the primer tray every now and again and I do not use the chain to pull the powder lever back. I feel it go up with my finger then I pull it down with that finger.

I have worn out two Lee hand primers. I now have the latest version and I think it is the best yet.

Last edited:

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Like everyone else said, keep an eye on the primer chute. Also make sure the powder hopper is in the right direction (you can mount it backwards) otherwise the disc will slide past the hopper instead of stopping under it.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I'm going to have to check mine I thought it was symmetrical
    Like everyone else said, keep an eye on the primer chute. Also make sure the powder hopper is in the right direction (you can mount it backwards) otherwise the disc will slide past the hopper instead of stopping under it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You might also pull the two halves of the priming chute apart and carefully remove any plastic flash on the edges. Keeping the chute well filled is a must, and establishing a rhythm that allows the "shaker" bar to work helps, too. One of the most ambitious modifications I've seen for the priming system is to buy a $0.50 buzzer at Radio Shack and tape it to the back of the primer reservoir to keep a slight vibration in the system. I was never that ambitious but didn't really have that much trouble with the priming system on my two Pro1000s.

Top Bottom