• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Ok, loading with the Pro 1000 is definitely a Zen thing...after a few hours of obsessive, mechanical engineer tinkering/improving I found I can crank out over 12 rounds a minute...it just requires a complex choreography of pull, flick case slider, tap completed round chute, eyeball powder charge, thump bench with knee to agitate primer feed, place bullet, push lever, feel primer seat, blow any debris off of shellplate...repeat! :). With a little more work, I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this hunk of tin!

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, loading with the Pro 1000 is definitely a Zen thing...after a few hours of obsessive, mechanical engineer tinkering/improving I found I can crank out over 12 rounds a minute...it just requires a complex choreography of pull, flick case slider, tap completed round chute, eyeball powder charge, thump bench with knee to agitate primer feed, place bullet, push lever, feel primer seat, blow any debris off of shellplate...repeat! :). With a little more work, I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this hunk of tin!

Should have purchased a Dillon. I've never read any serious complaints about Dillon presses. And the SDB I own has reliably provided me with several thousand rounds of quality pistol ammo so far without encountering a single problem. ;)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Should have purchased a Dillon. I've never read any serious complaints about Dillon presses. And the SDB I own has reliably provided me with several thousand rounds of quality pistol ammo so far without encountering a single problem. ;)

Yep, Dillons are very nice. I have several friends who run them, and I think they are wonderful machines. But, as I said, since I AM a mechanical engineer, and CAN make the Pro 1000 run, I will have those same several thousand rounds of ammunition completed in a few hours, and still have enough extra money to buy another gun!

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, Dillons are very nice. I have several friends who run them, and I think they are wonderful machines. But, as I said, since I AM a mechanical engineer, and CAN make the Pro 1000 run, I will have those same several thousand rounds of ammunition completed in a few hours, and still have enough extra money to buy another gun!

Have fun tinkering while I'm at the range shooting. ;)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Both posts are right

You can make a purse out of a sows ear and it will hold coins

I too spent years MAKING a Lee 1000 work and as it got older and got more wear on it the time I was spending MAKING the lee work was cutting into the time I could be reloading, shooting, cleaning guns, ect.

My experience with the Hornady Projector is about the same but the Projector is a world above Lee

What I can add to the conversation is when I converted from my Lee 1000 to SDB I immediatly started reloading a slighty quicker pace BUT I spent NO time working on the press and the same goes for when I went from the Hornady Projector to the Dillon 550

As my shooting hobby has progressed life has progress also and I find I have less time and one regret I have is not selling my SDB and buying a 650 the day they came out

Good luck with keeping the Lee going but if its anything like the one I had it will eventually outlive its aggravation factor.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine works great!

I'll admit the Pro 1000 can be a bit tempremental. I bought a used one several years ago, and it got a little frustrated. I sent it back to lee to be refurbished for half price as advertised on their site. I got it back in less than a week repaired at no charge. Along with a note about things I might have been doing wrong. I can pump them out pretty good now. Still would like to have a Dillon some day, but at my current volume, it will do for now.

Top Bottom