• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Today i decided to break in my new press while waiting for my bullets to get here in the mail. It went great. I deprimed and sized, and flared and primed. Just on little issue

The priming arm that sits in the ram was sticking bad. I had to keep pushing it down with my finger. Is that normal? What will solve that issue?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't use it !

Seriously, I wouldn't know. I have a single stage and a Lee turret and regardless of which I use, I like using Lee's hand held auto-prime. I enjoy walking away from the bench and going outside or in the front room with the family and doing the priming there.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't use it !

Seriously, I wouldn't know. I have a single stage and a Lee turret and regardless of which I use, I like using Lee's hand held auto-prime. I enjoy walking away from the bench and going outside or in the front room with the family and doing the priming there.

Yep. That ^.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Regardless if you get used to that safety prime or not, you really should have one of these around anyhow. If for no other reason that wanting to sit outside on a nice evening and priming 500 cases in no time. If you get one, just be sure to remember you also need a shell holder. It uses a different shell holder than the press, but they only run maybe $ 3.00.

A link to the hand held in case your not familiar with them. The older style is round. Actually, all the ones I have are round. I know nothing about the newer style.

Click here: Lee Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool - MidwayUSA

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I know they are only 20 bucks but im on a budget and if i have a primer that works ill probably use it. Sorry for being blunt. I didnt know if anybody has had this problem

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Today i decided to break in my new press while waiting for my bullets to get here in the mail. It went great. I deprimed and sized, and flared and primed. Just on little issue

The priming arm that sits in the ram was sticking bad. I had to keep pushing it down with my finger. Is that normal? What will solve that issue?

Do you mean the cup will drop down and out when you lower the ram? If so take it out and lightly smooth the rough edges off it. That helped mine.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Keep an eye out for the older models in the bargain bins at stores and gun shows. I picked mine up for five bucks including the shell holder.

Hmm if i find a deal like that ill definetly pick one up!

Do you mean the cup will drop down and out when you lower the ram? If so take it out and lightly smooth the rough edges off it. That helped mine.

No the cup gets stuck up on the shell holder and doesnt slide back down where it belongs

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I keep mine in the ram of my lee press while depriming to make sure the spent primers land in the catch tube. Occasionally it'll stick. I don't sweat it. I just knock it down as I remove the case or when I put the next one in.
    Cleaning that slot in the ram might help or stoning the primer arm.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Happens to mine sometimes. Two things ususally cause it:
    a chip of metal stuck in or around the cup
    insufficient lube

Don't use too much oil, as that may make it worse. Lightly coat the arm and cup and wipe off excess. Check your shell holder for metal chips also.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    i think im gonna polish it up tomorow. see how that works. it was kinda annoying doing 100 rounds today that way

ill check for the metal chips too! thats for the tip

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

I have the same priming system on my press. I finally got fed up with it not working properly and broke down and bought the hand priming tool. (Actually this was about 2 days after dicking with the auto-prime system)

It's much faster and I feel much safer knowing the primers are sat correctly. Even if you are on a budget, this is something you need to invest in. If you have to wait another week to start reloading, you owe it to yourself to do it right.

Just my :twocents:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Or you could also check out the RCBS hand priming tool. No extra shell holders to buy. It has a universal shell holder and switching between small and large pistol primers is pretty quick. The only complaint I have about is that primer flip tray doesn't always work very well. Other than that, a great tool. I'm not sure how it compares in price though (Mrs. HD got me mine last Christmas).

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Keep the slot in the ram clean, remove any rough edges from both the primer arm and the slot, and keep it lubed.

I used some Mobil 1 i had laying around in the garage when i first got the press and I haven't done so much as LOOK at it let alone oil it again.

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    Mine started doing that after a couple months of use. I cleaned out the ram, lubed up the area, and still kept having the problem. I agree it's a pain when doing a lot of rounds.

I finally broke down and did what everyone else on here did. I bought the hand held Lee priming tool. I am yet to use it, but have heard hand priming is better from just about everyone. Plus, I can sit and watch tv inside while doing it. My reloading bench is in the garage and it gets kinda hot in there.....

Top Bottom