• Willegene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    South Indy
    I am looking into the idea of buying a press

I am looking at the Lee Turret Classic press

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have not seen much else in the same price range

Just want to make sure I get the best for my money

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I'd say without a doubt, the Lee classic turret is a great starter press. Some may tell you to go with a single stage first, but the Lee classic turret can be used as a single stage by taking out the indexing rod. It's a great value for the money and gives you room to grow into the hobby. Like wolfman said be sure to get the classic press and not the value press. You won't be disappointed.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    The Lee Classic Turret would be a preferred choice as a beginner press, and as mentioned above, you can use it as single-stage until you are comfortable with the auto-indexing. Unless you are doing .50 cal rounds or something odd, you can use it for anything as far as I know. After using it for a while now, I see zero reason to buy a single-stage press, as they almost cost as much as the Lee, all said and done. Once you learn the minor nuances of the press, it runs pretty quick... with brass and everything set up to go, I run about 200-225 rounds an hour. I pieced mine together on MidwayUSA instead of getting a kit and used a discount code, as it allowed me to get the exact stuff I wanted and none that I didn't (like the scale, which most say is kinda crappy, but I can't say from experience). I picked up a much better RCBS 505 scale off eBay for like $35 shipped.

mdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    I started with one about 20 years ago, only kept it about a year,turret would not index properly started damaging brass,got rid of it and bought a used RCBS Rock Chucker and added Piggyback unit to it,been using it ever since.RCBS has been outstanding with the very few issues I have had with it.

iunderpressure

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2014
    Corydon
    I love my Lee Turret Press. I like Lee dies too. I don't like their scales or any powder measuring devices.

Once you set up dies for a certain load. You never have to touch it again, and you just switch out the turret when you want to change calibers.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If I could only have one press for the rest of my life, it would be the Lee Classic Turret.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The Classic Turret is probably the most bang for your buck out there.
    Highly recommended.

DKeene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Crown Point
    I started out with an RCBS kit. I spent more money than I needed to. I have no complaints about the RCBS at all. However, I wanted a turret and a friend of mine had the Lee you speak of. I bought it and have been touting its praises ever since. You will not regret it. Price, quality and excellent customer service have made me a big fan. Best of luck, be careful and have a great time reloading.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    I bought a Lee 3 hole turret in the early 90's and a 4 hole turret when they became available. Both presses have worked perfectly with 23 die sets ranging from .380 and .22 Hornet up to .45-70. I agree with all of the positive Lee recommendations above.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Kramer
    I bought the turret as a beginner on a budget about 22 years ago. I still use it. Later I wanted to try a progressive press so I purchased a pro 1000.
    I can't begin to guess how many times my sons and I have pull the handle on that thing. I have also called Lee ( several years ago ) to ask questions about their product and found them to be friendly and helpful. Unless something has changed with quality control over the years, I wouldn't be afraid to spend money on their presses. Have fun with your new hobby. I find it relaxing because I'm so focused on what I'm doing I forget about life's other stressor's.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Lots of good answers here, and I'll agree with it being a good beginning press. I'd definitely recommend it before a progressive.
    I have probably 5k through my lee turret and it's still going strong.

Willegene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    South Indy
    Thanks for all the responses and opinions
    Sound like the press to go with, not sure when I will pick one up but hopefully sometime this summer

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the responses and opinions
    Sound like the press to go with, not sure when I will pick one up but hopefully sometime this summer

I see you made your decision, but I will add more praise to the Classic Turret.

I started on a single stage, after about a month I moved to the Turret. It is worlds faster than the single stage. I only have an hour or two to dedicate per week, so instead of reloading 50 rounds per week, I can do 200 or so without trying too hard.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We have have a Lee 4 hole turret press, a rock chucker and a Dillon Square Deal. If I had to go with one press on a budget it would be a 4 die classic turret

Top Bottom