• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    any place to buy leech's in central Indiana? I would like to try these on a bobber for small mouth on the blue river.... would be easier to fish with when out with the wife and kids instead of casting all the time.

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    WAlmart sometimes has them. As far that is concerned you might be luckier if you just walk thru dirty creek beds and pick them off of you legs. There is a little bait shop in frankfort that has them usually. And maybe the one in crawfordsville.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You already have a great bobber bait for Smallies, Gulp minnows. I have caught hundreds of them using slip bobber and 1" gulp minnows.

This year I added a new gulp bait and the other day I pulled a dozen from one hole with it. It's a 1.5" crawdad in bright orange.
    Gulp!® Inch Hawg | Berkley®

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Try making a leach trap with a couple of old tin cans and a scrap of raw meat and catch them out of creeks and ditches.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Can you elaborate on how you rig up the gulp minnows on a bobber?
    I will snap some pics tomorrow of a couple rods and explain the rigs. All easy to find tackle at stores in Indy. I would do it now but it's raining good here and those rods are out by the dock.

The equipment list is:
    Bobber stops
    Beads
    Thill slip bobber
    Split shot
    Hooks

I am a huge fan of using quality slip bobbers and use all kinds. At first I thought Gulp was expensive. After you compare it to live bait costs and the ease of carrying it with you, no waste and takes up no space, it's genius.

You can use both live bait or Gulp on the same rigs.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    A few years ago, I was in the Florida panhandle doing some redfishing on some flats.

I caught a very nice, sturdy redfish on a live shrimp.

When I got back to the house and cleaned it, I found my shrimp (of course) and also a GULP brand shrimp that the fish had stolen from a previous fisherman.

And I got to grillin!

For the most part, everything was delicious. But that GULP brand shrimp just wouldn't brown up. It was tougher than I would have liked. But I didn't have to think twice about deveining. (although I seldom do anyway)

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just put the GULP in a ziplock and saved it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    A few years ago, I was in the Florida panhandle doing some redfishing on some flats.

I caught a very nice, sturdy redfish on a live shrimp.

When I got back to the house and cleaned it, I found my shrimp (of course) and also a GULP brand shrimp that the fish had stolen from a previous fisherman.

And I got to grillin!

For the most part, everything was delicious. But that GULP brand shrimp just wouldn't brown up. It was tougher than I would have liked. But I didn't have to think twice about deveining. (although I seldom do anyway)

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just put the GULP in a ziplock and saved it.

6/10

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

You accidentally hit "6" instead of "9". :dunno:

In all seriousness, I've completely given up on live bait in freshwater. I'd rather cast a fly. But in a "bait" situation, I'm going GULP or similar.

In sal****er ( that is what happens when you don't put a space between "salt" and "water") surf, I'll usually tie a Carolina rig and rely on GULP sand flea or shrimp to bring them in.

If things are slow, I've been known to put a GULP on one side of a pompano rig and live or cut bait on the other side. Surprisingly effective. And with the color choices, it's difficult to struggle with natural baits when there is such variety available in color, size and shape.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I already bought some 2 inch gulp minnows to use on a weedless jig head... but rigging it up on a bobber seems easier for what I am doing... Really just need to know what/how you are doing.... hooking it through the back and just letting it sit in the water? that doesn't seem like it would work to well to me because it is still plastic. or are you using the bobber to change the movement somehow and still "working it" on a retrieve?

The reason for the leeches is because they will live for a month or two which will give me several trips with them... and when I go with my wife and kid its hard to cast and retrieve when I am in charge of steering the canoe.... I cant turn around and fish the good spots like I can when I go in my kayak and am alone in the boat.... so with the bobber I will hook it up on my ice fishing rod so I can throw it to the deep spots and let the current take it through the target zones.... I should end up with a lure in the water for longer periods of time, and in the strike zones for MUCH longer periods of time, which should equate to more fish regardless of the bait.

I just cant see a gulp minnow sitting on a hook below a bobber doing anywhere near as good as a leech hooked in the sucker squirming all over the place as it gets swept downstream by the current.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    481534001440034141images1-1.jpg

A guy goes to breakfast and he sees Jesus in his French Toast. He shows it to you but you just don't see Jesus, all you see is French Toast.

THIS is your French Toast moment Indy. Do you see the smallie on the bobber or do you just see the bobber? I was setting up my grocery rods for some pics for you and to get ready to catch some fish for myself. I saw a few new bobbers I had yet to test this year so WTH, rigged one up and walked out to test it. Caught this guy.........using a gulp bait. I will get you picks tomorrow. After this guy I started fishing, they were up in the grass across the river. Pulled a few more same size 1-1.5lbs.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Rods are lined up, pics in the morning when I head out there. I like the new bobber I tested because you can go back and forth from bobber to straight jig fishing. I will try to grab some links before purge night begins. Power will be out most of the night.

New bobber from above. I rigged it with a jig and bobber stop instead of hook and split shot. Cast the jig or put the bobber on, bobber goes on and off easily. It's an improved version of the mini stealth.
    http://www.thill.com/product/gold-medal-supreme-mini-stealth/

My go to bobber in the smaller sizes for 4 & 6lb test, sometimes 8. If I am fishing deep or in wind on lakes I switch to wagglers

http://www.thill.com/product/gold-metal-center-slider/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom