• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Magazine released while out walking the dogs. I use a shoulder holster in the winter under my insulated coveralls while out walking the dogs. The FNX-45 mag release and the holster don't always agree and while picking up the dogs dropping I felt something heavy slide down my leg. Yes, it was the magazine. I have this happen on two other occasions and while I like the Urban Carry holster, it has flaws for this particular firearm. Needless to say, I use appendix carry and a sticky holster that works great.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Habits help but you have to focus and avoid distractions.

Spectacles, testicles, wallet, and watch, and of course gun, knife and phone.

For us non-road warriors travel takes us away from our habits. I have this travel tray that everything goes into at the hotel. One place, nothing falls behind the night stand, easy access in the dark of night in an unusual location. I even route my phone charger through one of the snaps so I don't forget it.

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/tactical-travel-tray?variant=27932847697

1805K5_detail_1024x1024.jpg

Dats a lot of tic tacs....

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    i know 3 stories (none were about me!!!)

1st, a friend/customer of the gun shop i worked at, went to the bathroom of the place he worked at (goodwill), pulled out his s&w j frame, set it on the back of the toilet, did his "business" and went back to work, an hour later he realized he forgot his gun, weant back to the bathroom, and yep...it was gone, he called the police and reported it stolen (he didn't lose his job thou even thou he broke goodwills policy of "no firearms")

2nd a member of the gun club left his mosin rifle at the range, just forgot it, he drove back, and it was gone, he called a member of the board, and the club was able to figure out what happened (this took a day or 2), another member picked it up, took it home, and didn't say anything to anybody, we called him to a board meeting, and asked why didn't he contact a member of the board (there are 21 on the bod) to inform them that he found the rifle he said "I have some personal issues going on at home, I wont discuss it with the board". I was one of the minority who recommended a 3 month suspension from the club, he got nothing, and new signs were installed at the club saying "contact a board member if you find anything"

3rd and this one's a doozy! a member was shooting his rifle (garand) at the range, he left all his shooting items at the bay, he walked to use the restroom 200 yards away, another member took the garand home, (just the rifle, none of the other items) the rightful garand owner came back and noticed it was gone, he immediately contacted a member of the board, and the board was able to track down the only other person who was at the range and he said "oh yeah, I thought the owner forgot it", never mind his truck, and all other items were sill at the bay, heres the doozy part, the "member" who found the rifle was elected to the board of directors AFTER this incident, and had to sit across from the garand owner who was also on the board!
    So what’s this range called because I’ll be sure NOT to visit that one...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    So what’s this range called because I’ll be sure NOT to visit that one...

we have a great security system, when you enter and leave, your membership card has to be scanned to open/close the gate! we know who's there at any given time! that's how we found out who had the mosin and garand!, the way to say this is, every club will have "that member" you know, the one who leaves his mess behind for someone else to clean up, the one who ignores the rule about shooting "rifles at pistol only" bays, ones who shoot glass bottles, tv's, water heaters, ones who shoot over the berms, with over a thousand members, id10t's will get in.

and when they get caught doing stupid things, they pay the price!, we caught 1 person shooting an ar15 at a pistol only bay (no bottleneck cartridges allowed), he was a guest of a member, the big problem was he (the guest) was shooting at a falling plate rack, that was for pistols only (that rack is why we don't allow rifles or bottleneck rounds on that bay), so, his host (the club member) was suspended from the club for 3 months, and had to pay 1/2 the replacement cost of the plates his guest destroyed (there had been others who shot holes in the plates, that's why he only paid 1/2 the cost)

instance#2 it was close to 50/50 vote to suspend, his personal issue played on the heart strings of some board members, so he didn't get punished
    instance#3 happened before I was on the board.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Many years ago I left my pistol at the jail after booking a prisoner.

I think we've all done that. It usually happens when you're booking a prisoner and you get another hot call and have to run out the door.

I have an uncle that bought a house and found a very nice M1 Carbine in the rafters of the garage.

I found two revolvers in my current house after I bought it. It was a foreclosure and the realtor happened to be with me when I found them on a shelf in a bedroom closet. He wanted to call the police and have them take the handguns, but I told him that I'd bought the house as is and the guns were now mine.

Last edited:

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    A buddy of mine rented a car from Enterprise and found a loaded Ruger P89 in a holster with spare mag in the trunk. Called up and had the store manager come retrieve it. My buddy wanted to sell it. Another friend and I wouldn't let him.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sort of in the ballpark, maybe the parking lot of the ballpark:

SSgt Notsobright showed up at our NATO base as part of the US contingent. He received the additional duty of being a member of the Security Augmentation Force, which meant during exercises and operations he got some training and was issued a rifle (HK G3, this being a NATO base in Germany) to augment the base security force.

We had an exercise and sometime during his shift he went to the on-base bank -- I never found out if he had permission or he just left his post. The bank had a no-weapons rule posted on the door (!), so SSgt NSB leaned his rifle up against the side of the bank next to the door (!) and went inside to do his business.

By sheer coincidence the USAF Major who was the commander of the US support detachment (provided all the USAF people assigned to NATO with "services" like annual PT test, personnel stuff, mail service, etc) walked up next, saw the rifle, and thought to himself "This ain't right." He picked up the rifle and headed back to his office to figure it out.

Right about then SSgt NSB came out of the bank, noticed his rifle was gone, and went to security force hq to notify them. (Given what turned up later on this guy I'm surprised he just didn't take the rest of the afternoon off. Among other things he arrived on base with substantial financial problems and immediately racked up some more.)

I was working in the NATO Command Post during the exercise, and I got a call from the chief of base security, a German officer, who says "One of your (meaning US) members lost his rifle." I did the "Lost his what!? Who!? How!?" schtick and he told me what SSgt NSB had reported. I call the US Senior National Representative, a US bird colonel who has command authority over all US personnel on the base, and he told me he had just gotten word from the major about finding a rifle. I replied "Thank God, I was afraid he had sold it."

:xmad:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Didn't have a mag pouch at that time but dropped a mag in a strip club. Luckily I always check so I was able to retrieve it with no one noticing.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Killeen, TX, 1993. 49th Armored National Guard doing their annual summertime field problems. Some soldiers got hungry and drove off post to the nearest McDonalds in Killeen. I was there and I didn't pay much attention until as I was leaving, I walked by their parked and empty vehicle, glancing inside. There were 3 or 4 M16 A2 rifles laying about, unattended. Looking back now years later, I should've informed the soldiers of their carelessness and told them to secure their weapons. Instead I thought, "Oh crap, I don't want ANY part of this", and left.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if memory serves me corectly, a military case of m16's fell off a truck just outside Owensboro Kentucky, I could just imagine the "discussion" the commander had with the weekend warrior after that (national guard)

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    This just happened a few weeks ago...

Co-worker asked me to take a look at his sons AR that he built, said he was having some issues and he's aware building these is my hobby. I agree to take a look and he brings it in the next day. As the day starts, my dealership arrives to take my car for an oil change and drops off a loaner as per usual ever few months. As I'm leaving work, coworker gives me the rifle and I throw it in the back hatch. Arrive home, kids are going nuts, wife is busy and I forget to get the rifle out. No big deal, I'll just switch it back to my car today when the dealership drops it off. Dealership driver arrives the next day, swaps keys, and splits. No need for me to even go outside since I don't ever put anything of mine in the loaner vehicle. Getting ready to leave for the night, co-worker asks, "hey, did you find anything with that rifle?". ME - "OH $#!%......". I immediately call the dealership, ME - "hey is that loaner still there?" Dealer - "I think, let me check" ME - "I left something in it, I'm headed your way" Dealer - "hahaha, it's a gun isn't it?" Me - "Sad face emoji... Yes, will you please secure it?" Dealer - "sure thing, we have it".

I went and picked it up straight away. I know the folks at my dealership very well and they take great care of me. Paid off to have the great relationship in place. Needless to say I felt like an idiot.

Top Bottom