• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Anyone out there have a left handed recommendation for my girlfriend? She wants something purple, but I've talked her into getting it cerakoted if she really wants purple. She doesn't like the fact that most semi-autos eject back towards her face, so she's convinced that a revolver is the only way for her to go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im a lefty and frankly, if she has problems with rounds hitting/near her face, she is doing it wrong. :): I only have issues if I am doing point and fire drills (gun close in, near my gut). Then its not brass hitting me but the shock wave that comes from the chamber thats normally going over my head. :dunno:

If you cant convince her, a revolver wouldnt be a bad choice. Its better than nothing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife is a lefty. She owns a Walther PK380 and S&W M&P Pro. No problems with brass in the face. She hates revolvers.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Hi there, I too am a left handed shooter, and really have no issue with hot brass to the face. I would suggest trying something she likes to see if hot brass is actually going to be an issue; in my experience it is not. YMMV good luck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Odds are the feeling is unreasonable fear. My wife is a rightie, and she still gets brass down her top if she forgets to cover up at the range. I think that might be her concern... and frankly it happens to both hands.

Have her stand back directly behind you about 3 feet while you shoot left handed. shoot steady and slow and have her move out to your right (paying attention to the arc of the brass so she doesnt catch any in the face) as you shoot so she can get a good view of exactly how close it DOESNT get to your face. even if you arent shooting in a two handed isosceles stance, she hopefully will see that the rounds arent going anywhere near her face, and a left handed gun is unnecessary.

Now shooting my AR is a little unnerving when I consider the brass is flying past my nose, but as long as I dont stick my head out to the right I have nothing to fear.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    All she's previously shot is a Beretta M9 when she went through basic, but she didn't like the fact that it came back towards and in front of her face. I'm wanting something that ejects normally, but kind of forward instead of back.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Have her square her stance up. More isoceles. That will put the gun directly in front of her face. Doesn't really matter if you shoot with your right or left hand the gun is very close to the same place felative to your face.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh yeah. My daughter is a lefty. She just turned 4 but we are 90% sure she is a lefty. Daddy already has her pistol training planned.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Ah, depending how she was taught I can see the potential issue...as I am retired mil myself. She now has the freedom to adapt her stance to meet her needs. I have never found a semi auto that fires the way you suggest...am watching to see what you find on that topic. Revolver is an option, but I would suggest trying before buying as I have yet to find a revolver with a trigger I can manage accurately.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    The pistol market is very lefty friendly, lot of ambi equipped models to choose from.

This is a very legitimate point. There are alot of ambi friendly pistols. The Beretta she trained on has an ambi safety and changeable mag release. The XD series of pistols are very ambi friendly. There are 1911 platforms that are ambi friendly. I cannot speak to the Glock platform but perhaps someone else can....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock Gen4 has reversible mag release. The slide stop is not that big a deal.

M&P has reversible mag release and ambi slide stop.

SR9c has ambi mag release and safety.

Walter PK380 is fully ambi.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Freakish lefty here. Shot a multitude of semi-autos: M&P, various 1911s, Beretta 92M1A1, Desert Eagle, etc..... Never had brass come close enough to my face for me to notice when shooting a pistol.
    I agree with the comments of several others above. It may be her stance.

That being said, maybe she doesn't want to adjust it to make the semi-auto work for her. If that's the case, then just get her something she can and will learn to hit the target with...whatever form and flavor that might be.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Wife is a lefty. I echo a lot if what has been said. She shoots std handguns and revolvers just fine from either hand. As should we all. She also shoots a RH AR (with a red dot) with both hands. We don't have issues until she uses a scope with a dominant L eye. We move to a LH rifle if a scope is involved.

As mentioned above consider changing her stance if brass is a major issue.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm a lefty. I've never had a problem with empty brass hitting me in the face. Except of course every 1911 I've ever fired that didn't get custom work done to the extractor.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is a very legitimate point. There are alot of ambi friendly pistols. The Beretta she trained on has an ambi safety and changeable mag release. The XD series of pistols are very ambi friendly. There are 1911 platforms that are ambi friendly. I cannot speak to the Glock platform but perhaps someone else can....

This is why I have one, and eyeing another. :rockwoot:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It doesn't hit her in the face, from what I know, she's just afraid it will because it goes across her line of sight. Maybe if something ejected more forward, instead of directly to the right, that might appeal to her. The odd part is, she LOVES shooting shotguns. I'm gonna let her try my Glock and 1911 (when I buy it) and if she wants one of those, great. If not, we'll keep testing until we find something. She REALLY likes revolvers though. SO she may just get a revolver to start and see she can find something else that she wants.

Top Bottom