Left to Right OR Right to Left? (Action Pistol)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    This was brought up at the last FNS in my squad. So while we cant get out and shoot comfortably. I thought that I would start a possible learning thread about shooting left to right or right to left. Some people say that they shoot better one way or the other. I feel that it has a few determining factors. And I would like to get your opinions.

Its my opinion that a right handed shooted IF right eye dominant is always going to shoot better left to right. because of the right dominant eye leading. Or snapping your eyes to the target. Same goes for a left handed shooter if the are left eye dominant they are going to shoot bettter right to left. Because of the left dominant eye leading or snapping your eyes to the target.
    Now I also believe that if you are shooting with your weak eye closed all the way. That this is going to slow you down alot when transitioning targets. The reason being for me being right handed and right eye dominant. If I'm transitioning to the right and my left eye is closed. I wont pick up the gun coming in to the sight picture until it is almost to late and might over swing the target. I guess I'm saying that its best to keep both eyes open while doing transitions.
    But what if a person has problems with keeping both eyes open while shooting? Well there are ways to help correct this or alt least improve it.
    Try a piece of scotch tape over your weak eye for awhile. Then while practicing Squint your eye almost shut but where the is still some picture coming through. With enough practice you will start to use bot eyes regularly.
    So what do you guys think? Is my opinion right or some what right. If you have a different opinion I'd love to hear it. Is there other ways to help with not being able to shoot with both eyes open?
    Thanks

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    You are up early on Saturday
    I don't have anything definitive to add except my own experience.
    I feel like I shoot better going left to right but when I time it there really isnt that much difference. I have an awful time shooting with both eyes open, it is one of the things I am working on this winter. I am going to try the tape for awhile during dryfire,I had forgotten about that.
    One last thing , If I remember to do it, on a course of fire that requires stong hand only I shoot right to left because the gun naturally recoils in that direction and you don't have to fight it as much.

runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    The few times I've consciously tried it, it seems I shoot better from left to right.

If I remember, your left handed? I am left handed also and I do better left to right too. I also cannot open both eyes and shoot to save my life, I see 2 of everything. However, when I shoot my carbine with a red dot I can open both eyes with no problem. Weird.
    Anyway, I am going to try the scotch tape drill and see if it helps. I have the next couple of months to work on it. Thanks.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I am right handed and always go right to left. Ive shot about a billion Bianchi plates before and that is how I always did it, so it is sort of ingrained. Someone else told me before that they wanted to run away from the ejecting bras and not into it. Personally I doubt any of it makes a real difference.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I normally shoot better (at least I feel like I do) Left to right. Now, if the targets happen to change size as you go, I prefer to go smaller to bigger. Get the tougher shots out of the way first and then speed up as you go.

As far as shooting with both eyes open, I can't bring myself to do it! I'm a bird hunter and still close one eye to shoot a shotgun! My brother makes fun of me becuase I've shot too much rifle and handgun so I"m not a very good shotgunner. That's OK, I kick his ass when we shoot rifles or handguns, so it evens out!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    If I remember, your left handed? I am left handed also and I do better left to right too. I also cannot open both eyes and shoot to save my life, I see 2 of everything. However, when I shoot my carbine with a red dot I can open both eyes with no problem. Weird.
    Anyway, I am going to try the scotch tape drill and see if it helps. I have the next couple of months to work on it. Thanks.

You are correct. I'm left handed when involved in anything that involves aiming. This includes anything Billiards to archery. However, I am right hand dominant. I believe Riverman is the exact opposite. What can I say, we come from a strange family :D:dunno:

I've not really done enough timed drills to see if it really matters for me. I feel more comfortable left to right.

If I can get out today, I'll run some timed drills to see if it matters for me.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    This is because your non shooting eye cannot see the dot, it can see the front sight.
    I have multiple images when shooting irons with both eyes open. It's as if the image from the non shooting eye is superimposed up and to the right of the dominant/shooting eye image(sight picture).

Position the tape on your shooting glasses so that when your head is straight up it doesn't interfere with your vision, when your neck is bent and your head is forward it should prevent the eye from seeing the front sight.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This was brought up at the last FNS in my squad. So while we cant get out and shoot comfortably. I thought that I would start a possible learning thread about shooting left to right or right to left.
    FNS covers a very limited distance from side to side. On the stages that are "longer" a shooter can get into trouble, even on 5 shot stages, due to having to twist at the hip. It is much more pronounced on shouldered weapons but still an issue to be aware of when talking Left to Right.

Physics dictates you will twist at the hip faster and smoother moving from strong side to weak side. It has nothing to do with your vision, eye dominance or any other issue. It is your range of movement in your hip.

Lets assume you shoulder a gun on your right shoulder. Shoulder a gun, any gun, in any stance. From this point of aim, turn to your right. Note how far you were able to effectively turn. Come back to the original point of aim and now twist left. Much farther, much smoother.

Given a choice, you will move faster and more fluid from strong side to weak.

Another example. Hold your arm out in front of you at shoulder height like you are going to shake hands, point your thumb straight up. Rotate wrist to right, note how far it travels. Come back to center, rotate to left.

It is not a visual element at first but when you force any part of your body into a twist of any kind it then affects your shooting. It also affects your ability to hold a stance, sight picture, steady grip and manage recoil.

20 years ago, when I first shot steel with a handgun I would prefer left to right and I shoot right handed. Now, after applying more of my shotgun-foo to handguns and carbines, I will go right to left. By setting up my body just a bit to the right/strong side, it allows me to have a better hip twist and use a wider field of view.

For the record, I am two handed and also have cross eye dominance issues, such as described by Litlratt. I overcame issue Slowhand has of opening both eyes, but that is a thread by itself.

All of these factors affect your lateral speed. Each shooter has to work it to determine his or her best technique. Shotgunners take it to the extreme shooting at clay targets going 60mph. There is a lot of knowledge there that has now carried over to handguns.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am right handed and always go right to left. Ive shot about a billion Bianchi plates before and that is how I always did it, so it is sort of ingrained. Someone else told me before that they wanted to run away from the ejecting bras and not into it. Personally I doubt any of it makes a real difference.

I'm the exact opposite. I've always shot the plates Left to Right. Different strokes...

On paper arrays, I prefer to shoot Left to Right, but will go the opposite if there is an advantage to doing so. One should train to do both, even if you find that you're doing it your preferred way 90% of the time.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I tryed both ways while practicing with 3 targets set about 6-8 ft apart. Times were faster going left to right. Kept messing up the transistion going right to left kept over swinging the target. Guess I need to work on that part. But when I did get it from R TO L was still over of the par time that I had set from previous L TO R. Maybe its just cause thats the way I practice the most. I do understand you need to be able to shoot both ways. Im still just curious to why one way is normally better for each shooter.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    practice both directions equally, and you will be capable equally

Its my opinion that a right handed shooted IF right eye dominant is always going to shoot better left to right. because of the right dominant eye leading.

I could argue that person could better see the target unobstructed going the other way, especially when the targets are close. I only point that out as an example because the physiological variables are too numerous (where the eyes focus, how fast they focus, how strong the dominance, how fast they move, etc). But all that said, the differences are too minor to matter on a timer.

mongo404 said:
    its just cause thats the way I practice the most. ... Im still just curious to why one way is normally better for each shooter.

You answered the question, then asked it!

People basically favor one direction because they tend to practice what they like or what feels natural, and then the other method continues to seem harder and harder. Of course, this is true of just about any aspect of the game.

Generalizing.... What if the array is strong hand only? What if it's weak hand only? Where is the stop plate and how does the direction you shoot affect your transition onto it? What if there are multiple positions during the array (how does the direction you shoot affect your entry/exit?)? You have to be strong in both directions so you can adapt to the stage rather than trying to adapt the stage to your preference.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I tryed both ways while practicing with 3 targets set about 6-8 ft apart. Times were faster going left to right. Kept messing up the transistion going right to left kept over swinging the target. Guess I need to work on that part. But when I did get it from R TO L was still over of the par time that I had set from previous L TO R. Maybe its just cause thats the way I practice the most. I do understand you need to be able to shoot both ways. Im still just curious to why one way is normally better for each shooter.

Rather than separating L2R and R2L into different strings and worrying about total time, set up 5-6 targets equally spaced, get some HIGH cap mags if you can (20-30 rounders), and just keep going back and forth, one shot each, trying to keep your splits as consistent as you can, even if it's not the fastest you can go in any one direction. Kinda like a multi-target Burkett timing drill. By trying to keep your splits consistent, you will eventually improve the direction that is giving you trouble..., then you can work on lowering your splits a couple hundredths and repeat, etc.

-rvb

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What if the array is strong hand only? What if it's weak hand only?

-rvb

Generally :) ... A right hand shooter should right-to-left on SHO, and the opposite on WHO COFs. The idea is that as the arm is is coming into the body, the chest muscles are continuously contracting, making for a more stable shooting platform.

YMMV

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Generally :) ... A right hand shooter should right-to-left on SHO, and the opposite on WHO COFs. The idea is that as the arm is is coming into the body, the chest muscles are continuously contracting, making for a more stable shooting platform.

hmmm... I agree w/ the answer, but for a different reason... I'd say because that's the direction the recoil moves the gun.

not sure about muscles contracting... if they aren't opposed by other muscles, then there is movement... and that's not a stable platform. So I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...
    [pause]
    ok, before hitting submit I thought about it for a minute, and tried to airgun what you are saying... Now I think I see what you are saying... and that's true, IF you keep everything but your arm stable, and you are sweeping your arm from target to target... but that's not a consistant platform, imo. Swivel with your knees and waist. keep the upper platform stable and consistent, imo.

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Yeah rvb I see that know that I reread it. Thanks guys!!! Things like this thread I think helps everybody. Thats willing to try different things to improve. I do understand You need to be able to transition both ways exspeacially on feild courses just by the way there set up could force you to go either way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to shoot left to right because I saw everyone else doing it that way. I prefer turning left when I can (maybe I was a NASCAR driver in a previous life), so one day I tried shooting right to left. It feels better, but I don't know if it's faster or not.

In matches, you have to be able to go in either direction depending on the challenge posed to you. On El Pres, for instance, it makes sense to start shooting the first target you see as you complete your turn, then go back the other way atfer the reload. In NRA Action Pistol, you have to shoot the mover an equal number of times moving right to left and left to right.

The same is true for defensive encounters. While the number of targets in a USPSA or IDPA match is ricidulous in terms of survival, being faced with two very bad people is not uncommon. If there is an obvious difference in the level of threat they pose, then it make sense to engage the greater threat first and then the lesser (assuming it's possible to due so).

If given my choice, I will go right to left, though.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wonder what role our dominant eye has in our preference? If you don't shoot with both eyes wide open (some don't), is your vision biased to your dominant side?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My action shooting experience is limited to FNS (although I hope to expand on that in the coming USPSA and IDPA season :) ), but I will tell you that there are literally hundreds of industrial engineering studies that indicate a right handed person will generally perform both fine and gross motor skills more quickly and more repeatably if they work from their right side to their left side. Does this hold true for shooting sports? I dunno.

Top Bottom