• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm curious what pistols are out there that are built with lefties in mind. The SW M&P comes to mind with all the ambi controls, but as a righty that doesn't own one, I dunno how well that works out in reality.

I ask because the fiancé is a southpaw. I'm trying to think of something she'd like to shoot. She doesn't mind recoil so much, and had no problem firing my 1911 or Glock 21 with full power 45, and actually preferred them over a USP9. she HATED my Sig 226 in 357 Sig though. (from this I gather that bore axis translates more than cartridge characteristics for her )
    Her favorite by far was a FN 5.7 with a can that a gentleman at Pop guns was kind enough to let her fire a few rounds from.

Her main beef with all of the above has been the left side controls.

What pistol that out of the box, or with the addition of ambi-lever are low recoiling and lefty friendly, would the rest of the southpaws recommend?

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I shoot left handed. I shoot a glock 19, I find it very easy to just use the mag release with my left middle finger.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I'd recommend just using normal pistols. It's a little annoying at first, but with practice a left can manpulate the controls on an autoloader just as well as a righty. Better, in some cases, because we can hit the mag release with out trigger finger without sacrificing a proper grip.

If your fiancee's hands are too small, or her hand strength not high enough, to manipulate an autoloader like that, try revolvers. They are lefty friendly, too, and you can reload from a speedloader just as fast as a righty.

The reason I don't recommend guns with ambi controls are that you can never be sure whose gun you're going to end up with if SHTF. What if your fiancee's special-super-customized-for-lefties M&P or FN gets knocked out of her hands and she has to pick your Glock or 1911 up off the floor? Solves a lot of problems just to have her learn to shoot the guns she's likely to encounter in the first place.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I've never had an issue really shooting any guns, but I prefer a Glock just because there is no safety to fool with and I can easily hit the slide release with my index finger you just get used to it after a while, like everything else made for righties.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife is a lefty and her favorite pistol if the Browning Hi Power. Saftey on my MkIII is ambidextrose.

The way the Walther P99 is made makes the Magazine release good for south paws. Basically the gun is completely ambidextrose. Wife doesn't care for the Walther though since the .40 is a little too "snappy" for her tastes.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I'm left handed and I carry a CZ 85. It's a great gun. It's reliable, accurate, and all of the controls are ambidextrous except the mag release which isn't a problem at all with a little training.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    enough said? you didnt hardly say anything..... i know nothing of the p7 series and would like to hear some actual commentary on what makes it a good gun for a lefty

more details please:D

Hk P7 series have the squeeze cocker. This feature is very nice for either shooter (left or right). If the slide is locked back, squeeze the cocker, and the slide is released, the striker is engaged and you are ready to fire. Look at a typical handgun - manipulate the slide release and you still have to make slight adjustments to your grip to be ready to fire. I'm waiting for someone to say, "I don't have to make adjustments." ;)

With the P7, it doesn't matter if the slide is locked back or not, the same method used to fire will release the slide. Add the fact that it has an ambi mag release, and it becomes the most ambi-dextrous gun available. Of course this is my opinion.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    im left handed. shoot left handed.the springfield xdm .40 works perfect for me compared to many other semi autos ive messed around with.work the mag release no problem what so ever.great gun.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Doesn't the Walther line have the mag release in the trigger guard? I don't think the slide release is on the left though. I know a couple of women who love their walther p99's in .40.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i supposed a break top revolver wouldnt be that bad.i dont personally own one but good thought.only revolver i own is a taurus judge that ive shot i think twice and put it away.

Haans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Muncie
    I use a Walther P99.

Walther's pistols, since the P5, have been ambidextrous. The P5 in particular ejects its brass to the left, which is an interesting quirk that some lefties find useful. H&K's line from the P2000 on are also southpaw-friendly.

Haans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Muncie
    Doesn't the Walther line have the mag release in the trigger guard? I don't think the slide release is on the left though. I know a couple of women who love their walther p99's in .40.

The slide release is on the left on P99s. This generally means that a leftie uses their offhand, placing it over the top of the slide and either pulling back on the slide to release it, or their thumb or fingers to press down and release it.

G17_shooter

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Fillmore, IN
    Southpaw here - I've shot many different pistols and none seem to effect me unless they are specifically setup for a right handed shooter with the thumb rest. I shoot the G17 in USPSA and carry the Kahr PM9, Keltec P32 or various .38 revolvers... no issues.

Top Bottom