• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbm76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Looking for a pistol that has a reversible/ambidextrous magazine and slide release. Definitely LH dominant but I'm fairly accurate with my RH. I'd like to practice with both for now but I want to make sure that I can use my most comfortable/accurate hand if need be.

I've been looking at the S&W M&P and the Walther PPX (9 mm or .40). Thoughts on those two? Are there any others I should consider?

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    I like the Walthers. I've had a PPQ and a PPS, they are both very lefty friendly. I don't use the the slide stop to release the slide. I use the sling shot method, so it opens up the selection of pistols a bit more. Don't overlook the gen 4 Glocks, they are very easy to shoot left handed. They do not have an ambi slide stop though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Of the two, I prefer the M&P.

Springfield XD would be another. The slide stop is not ambi, but the mag release is.

On the M&P you have to choose between left and right handed mag release, the XD works both ways all the time. Honestly between the two, I'd rather have ambi mag release when the SHTF, advantage XD, IMO.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    The Ruger SR series is ambi safety and mag release. Love my SR9c. I am a lefty but cross-aim pistols. So I shoot right handed with them.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Looking for a pistol that has a reversible/ambidextrous magazine and slide release. Definitely LH dominant but I'm fairly accurate with my RH. I'd like to practice with both for now but I want to make sure that I can use my most comfortable/accurate hand if need be.

I've been looking at the S&W M&P and the Walther PPX (9 mm or .40). Thoughts on those two? Are there any others I should consider?

I have a Ruger SR9c. It has ambi manual safety and mag release. No dual slide release. Pretty sure the full size SR9 and SR40 are similarly configured.

EDIT: FFJAKET beat me to the punch.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    As a lefty, the H&K P30 is the easiest gun made for us that I've yet tried. Between the two you listed.....I honestly don't like either but the M&P has easier access to mags and other accessories.

ETA: Don't necessarily rule out a gun solely because it doesn't have an ambi slide release. I can't remember the last time I used one anyway. Actually, the same for the mag release. Most lefties learn early and adapt to controls that were designed for righty.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Go with a gen4 glock. Anyone will do. Doesnt have a ambi slide release but trust me you dont need it( its not really good to release slide like that).it does hace an ambi mag release though which really matters. Im a lefty I had an M&p40. Didn't like the gun much ran into issues from the get go. Plus has the worst trigger. I'd never expect smith to put out something like that... I switched to Glock and haven't looked back since you wont be disappointed.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm not certain why anyone who is serious about self-defense shooting would limit his training to his strong hand, or not practice weapons manipulation with both hands. Having said this, I'm left-handed and I use Glocks. The slide-stop can be worked with the left forefinger, as can the magazine release. For right-handed use, I can release the mag with my right thumb, just like right-handed shooters do.

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    I'm a lefty as well and I would recommend the Glock gen 4. I find it easier to just use my pointer finger to use the slide release and mag release. It really doesn't take much practice and is just as fast as an ambi. But I'd suggest to try out a few different ones and which ever feels best to you will be the winner

cbm76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    I'm not certain why anyone who is serious about self-defense shooting would limit his training to his strong hand, or not practice weapons manipulation with both hands. Having said this, I'm left-handed and I use Glocks. The slide-stop can be worked with the left forefinger, as can the magazine release. For right-handed use, I can release the mag with my right thumb, just like right-handed shooters do.

I don't disagree with you. The intention is to train with both hands. That being said, I will always choose my strong hand if I have the choice.

All in all, there's a lot of good stuff to consider.

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    Im a lefty and just picked up a FNS-9 All ambi controls. Mag release, slide, & safety. plus three 17 rnd mags. very nice gun also came stock with night sights. For the money no other gun comes close!
    http://

Last edited:

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.

As an old "lefty" I never really thought about getting a gun because it was left hand friendly. I'm so used to adapting to RH oriented guns a left-handed weapon seems un-natural to me.:laugh: I have good luck with my Springfield Armory XD's I have a .40 and 45s model but my M&P, Rugers and Taurus's work just as well for me. Like you I can shoot with either hand but I do a little better left-handed. I actually carry left-handed when using an IWB holster and right-handed when I pocket carry. Good luck in your search for a new handgun. Looking forward to reading what you finally decide on and why.

FootLoose.45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    lefty also. i have gone back n forth between a sprinfield xdm and a smith m&p. the xdm doesnt have ambi slide release and the m&p does. i like the both of them but the m&p is my edc gun.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Have the Walther and can attest to its quality and reliability. I'd also encourage you take a Beretta PX4 for a spin -- it's comparable to the guns you're considering and has a reversible magazine release. You can always use the "slingshot" method for slide release.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    The Ruger SR series is ambi safety and mag release. Love my SR9c. I am a lefty but cross-aim pistols. So I shoot right handed with them.

Have to second the SR I've shot SR9 a few times, have SR22 both my sons have put thousands of rounds through lefty neither has ever caught case as eject is nearly straight out the side.

It is larger and a lot heavier but Beretta 92FS/M9... I must be one of the very few that still carries one of these animals... Mag release flips for Lefty in about 30 seconds ejects far enough to side and back to not pose issue for Lefty shooter...

:ar15:That and it is the most tested handgun in the world, many will complain about the long trigger take up but it is one of the most solid 9mm guns you'll ever fire.

Top Bottom