• scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Was it "KY-you"?
    Yep...

The other guy's name was Vernon Lorenz. I agree that, at first, I thought he came off as almost an elitist, but I went up to talk to him on the first break just to get a feel for him, and he was a very nice, cool guy. He just doesn't share my view that OCing is fine and dandy. I honestly don't think he should have even mentioned it since it wasn't really brought up. Ciyou did take a little stab at OC early, but it was brief.

Anyway, I was VERY, VERY impressed with both Ken Campbell and Senator Brent Waltz. They brought interesting vantage points to the panel. A special thanks to Bob Aldridge also for putting this on and posting it here. I feel like a thief for only paying $5.

I don't think I technically learned any new laws that I was unaware of, but my memory was refreshed on them. The biggest thing i took from this was being able to hear thoughts and views from the LE side, the lawyer side, and the legislator side all in the same place about the same topics.

Oh, and INGO, don't worry Senator Waltz assured us the Lifetime LTCH wasn't going anywhere any time soon. haha :cool: :ingo:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    A great introductory to firearm laws. A lot of it was about emphasizing the use of common sense.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Yep...

The other guy's name was Vernon Lorenz. I agree that, at first, I thought he came off as almost an elitist, but I went up to talk to him on the first break just to get a feel for him, and he was a very nice, cool guy. He just doesn't share my view that OCing is fine and dandy. I honestly don't think he should have even mentioned it since it wasn't really brought up. Ciyou did take a little stab at OC early, but it was brief.

Anyway, I was VERY, VERY impressed with both Ken Campbell and Senator Brent Waltz. They brought interesting vantage points to the panel. A special thanks to Bob Aldridge also for putting this on and posting it here. I feel like a thief for only paying $5.

I don't think I technically learned any new laws that I was unaware of, but my memory was refreshed on them. The biggest thing i took from this was being able to hear thoughts and views from the LE side, the lawyer side, and the legislator side all in the same place about the same topics.

Oh, and INGO, don't worry Senator Waltz assured us the Lifetime LTCH wasn't going anywhere any time soon. haha :cool: :ingo:

^^THIS^^ I agree. I'll put my money on Campbell and Waltz any day. And, it took me a while to warm up to Lorenz, but I'll definitely call him first if I ever need to. That man don't talk much...he just plain kicks ass. :ar15:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    ^^This^^...I may not agree with Lorenz' views, but I was impressed enough to take his phone number and add it to my contact book under "Gun Lawyer 3", with the other two being Guy R. & KIrk F.

The guy is sharp as can be.

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    Big thanks for Bob putting this on. I learned a lot and really enjoyed listening to the panel. I don't think I have ever had a day go by so quickly!

Also nice to see so many like minded concerned individuals...

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They recommended this book "Principles of Personal Defense"

Amazon.com: Principles Of Personal Defense (9781581604955): Jeff Cooper, Paul Kirchner, Louis Awerbuck: Books

And after the seminar, we paid a visit to Bradis Guns - I see why all the Indy people like shopping there!

For those in the Fort Wayne area, the Allen County Public Library has a copy. I've been checking it out every once in a while for 20 years. I should probably break down and buy a copy one of these days.

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    I was there. It was a great time, very informative, all the speakers on the panel did a fine job. Also the panel all had a great sense of humor and had the room laughing most of the day. For the record my fav. Speaker was the Boone county sheriff. Thank you Bob for putting this together.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg

Thanks Bob for putting this on. I learned a lot and really enjoyed listening to the opinions and facts from the panel. I don't think I have ever had a day go by so quickly!

Also nice to hear many like minded concerned individuals.

Thanks again
    Turf Doctor

bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    I think I could have just listened to Senator Waltz and Sheriff Campbell all day. Great insight, and lots of confirmation of what I believed I knew (and that was what made it all worth it, hearing things restated from authorities in the subject matter -taking away the "i read on a forum..." doubt).

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Great time and well worth the five bucks admission. For me the second half with question and answer was the best part of the day. I don't think I really learned much new information but it was good hearing it all again with some interesting perspective coming from the different professions of those on the panel. I think the Senator and Sheriff Campbell were the most animated and engaging of those on the panel. Brian Ciyou seemed to be a very knowledgeable and down to earth guy who really wanted,and is willing, to help people understand the law. Lorenz seemed like he would be a very good lawyer to call if you are ever in a situation where a lawyer is needed and probably a good guy but was,IMO, the least personable of the four. He also kind of lost me when he recounted getting a very light sentence for a guy who was illegally carrying a handgun,fired said gun blindly over his shoulder while running,hitting a guy in the back, then proceeding to run from the police and,when apprehended, was found to have drugs in his pocket. He finished by calling him "a good and decent guy". Overall it was a great experience and I thank those who organized it and all of the panel for giving freely of their time to help educate. Would gladly recommend anyone who gets a chance to attend one of these.

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Making my dues and paying my respects publicly to Bob , Bryan Ciyou, Brent Waltz, Ken Campbell and Vernon Lorenz.

You know, the greatest take away from the ENTIRE day was getting to speak with and hear valuable feedback from four COMPLETELY different people.

Taking away their professions, seeing all four of them on the streets,
    I'd never have thought they all had one same motive (Protecting our rights as law abiding citizens).

Big props to Bob for doing what he does as well as the Illinois SWAT guy that was there to speak as well.

I recorded the entire seminar from my phone and listening back on the audio, it really came out pretty clear.
    My "notes" I took down from the entire day were break downs of different subject matters at certain points in the recordings.
    Maybe when I get some free time, I'll upload them in sections.

Lots of great information; I couldn't have asked for a better turnout. Thanks again to everyone who helped,

Jeff

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Making my dues and paying my respects publicly to Bob , Bryan Ciyou, Brent Waltz, Ken Campbell and Vernon Lorenz.

You know, the greatest take away from the ENTIRE day was getting to speak with and hear valuable feedback from four COMPLETELY different people.

I'd never have thought they all had one same motive (Protecting our rights as law abiding citizens).

Big props to Bob for doing what he does as well as the Illinois SWAT guy that was there to speak as well.

I recorded the entire seminar from my phone and listening back on the audio, it really came out pretty clear.
    My "notes" I took down from the entire day were break downs of different subject matters at certain points in the recordings.

Lots of great information; I couldn't have asked for a better turnout. Thanks again to everyone who helped,

Jeff

Couldn't agree more about seeing them on the street and not associating their views. haha.

The IL SWAT guy looked like one bad mo'fo'. I wouldn't ever look at him wrong if I saw him on the street. Talk about intimidating. haha. He had some great vantage points also, and seemed to be very humble about his career.

I thought about uploading my notes too. Just haven't gotten around to it.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Jeff

Couldn't agree more about seeing them on the street and not associating their views. haha.

The IL SWAT guy looked like one bad mo'fo'. I wouldn't ever look at him wrong if I saw him on the street. Talk about intimidating. haha. He had some great vantage points also, and seemed to be very humble about his career.

I thought about uploading my notes too. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks. It makes all the work and long hours for the panel and me well worth it. As he left, Brian Ciyou told me just to let him know when and where for the next one.

The Illinois SWAT commander (largest multi-jurisdictional SWAT team in the nation) is Bryan DeYoung, who retired at a very young age and is now on the Indiana Firearms Training staff. Sgt. DeYoung is about the nicest, most humble, God fearing, caring, devoted family man that you would ever want to meet, but, as Scottka indicated, he is one of the worst choices around as a person to fight!

Here is the good news: Sgt. DeYoung is teaching our advanced classes at Indiana Firearms Training, including Tactical Handgun I, Tactical Handgun II, Tactical Carbine, and Force-on-Force/ECQ as the "capstone" class. Go here for details:
    http://www.iftnra.com/classes.html

Thanks again, everyone, for making the day a huge success!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom