• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    The basis for this question is that I am looking for places with different terrain and unknown ranges to safely practice ranging with a reticle and shooting at mid-range distances (400-600 yards).

So, in reading the Indiana hunting regulations for, let's say coyotes, my take is that it is legal to shoot any rifle, at any time of day, on state-approved hunting land (Glendale FWA, for my intentions), so long as I have a valid hunting license. Season permitting, of course.

Does anyone see a problem with this legally or ethically? I mean, if a coyote wanders into my FOV, I would be happy to shoot it.

John

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    So what you are really saying is you want to go into the field and actually practice with your rifle under actual field conditions as opposed to shooting at a designated and approved range?

I'd say kudos to you! Most folks think a few shots at known ranges from a benchrest is all the need to become Natty Bumpo in the field.

The ethical and legal issues that I'd focus on first are to ensure that you are shooting in a safe and secure manner with a good backstop. Beyond that, informal target practice is a good thing and there are plenty of places where you should be able to take it.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    So what you are really saying is you want to go into the field and actually practice with your rifle under actual field conditions as opposed to shooting at a designated and approved range?

I'd say kudos to you! Most folks think a few shots at known ranges from a benchrest is all the need to become Natty Bumpo in the field.

The ethical and legal issues that I'd focus on first are to ensure that you are shooting in a safe and secure manner with a good backstop. Beyond that, informal target practice is a good thing and there are plenty of places where you should be able to take it.

Thanks for the reply. I have been hunting/shooting for 25 years, but I have lately wanted to learn to shoot beyond 100-200 yds--which is what the 2 local ranges of which I am aware afford.

So, do you all think it would be legal to target shoot in such a location, wtihout the pretense of hunting?

John

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you can find you exact location on Google earth. You can turn it into a poor mans range finder by changing the distances to yards. And clicking on different spots in your hunting area. Saw that on "Gun Nuts" shoot better in a miinute segment or one of those type shows.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The basis for this question is that I am looking for places with different terrain and unknown ranges to safely practice ranging with a reticle and shooting at mid-range distances (400-600 yards).

So, in reading the Indiana hunting regulations for, let's say coyotes, my take is that it is legal to shoot any rifle, at any time of day, on state-approved hunting land (Glendale FWA, for my intentions), so long as I have a valid hunting license. Season permitting, of course.

Does anyone see a problem with this legally or ethically? I mean, if a coyote wanders into my FOV, I would be happy to shoot it.

John

yes, and if you get permission from a land owner , you can hunt them year round..
    be sure of what is behind your targets.. on public land there is a greater chance of someone else being out there..

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you can find you exact location on Google earth. You can turn it into a poor mans range finder by changing the distances to yards. And clicking on different spots in your hunting area. Saw that on "Gun Nuts" shoot better in a miinute segment or one of those type shows.

ive used google earth. its actually extreamly close. id say the variance is that i didn't click the exact spot i was standing when ranging. defintally close enough for 600 yd hunting shooting

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32

Yeah, I've heard of that. What I am wanting to become proficient at is ranging distances with my reticle, though.

When I was a kid, we'd just pull the truck off the road in the river bottoms and blaze away into a hillside. Does anyone still do that?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I get what you're looking to do and support the skill you're trying to hone; however in terms of DNR properties, not private properties; tread lightly at best

312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2
    Sec. 3.
    (c) A person must not discharge a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property except as follows:
    (1) As authorized for a law enforcement officer.
    (2) In the lawful defense of persons or property.
    (3) Under a department permit that authorizes the discharge.
    (4) As authorized at a shooting range.
    (5) In the lawful pursuit of wild animals. The exception provided in this subdivision does not apply within two hundred (200)
    feet of any of the following:
    (A) A campsite.
    (B) A boat dock.
    (C) A launching ramp.
    (D) A picnic area.
    (E) A bridge.

From this .PDF: http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00080.PDF?

Which came from this page: Indiana General Assembly - Indiana Register

Which I was directed to from here (first link under "Rules"): DNR: Statutes & Rules

It would seem to me that the wording on the permit in question is going to be the key if you want to deviate from DNRs shooting ranges on DNR land, for the purposes you described.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    Thank you, sir. That's the kind of information for which I am looking. So, as long as I am shooting, lawfully, at a wild animal, I should be okay. Any regulations pertaining to how many times one is allowed to "miss"?

Also, do you care to offer any interpretation or additional information as to how this would apply to any non-DNR state owned land?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not sure on the miss limits, or what you mean by other state owned lands; but I did realize I forgot to finish my initial post when I got caught up in my research, if you're near Hoosier National Forest, then it appears you've got a lot more leeway

• Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across roads or bodies of water is also prohibited.
    • Target shooting is permitted in the general forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness) as long as other persons in the area are not placed at risk and there is no damage to resources such as using a tree as a target.

Hoosier National Forest- Alerts

I would use the contact info on the left to find out the exact legal code, so you can know word for word what is allowed to keep on the proper side of things with the feds and be able to explain your situation if questioned.

The laws about state land I mentioned in post #9 would cover FWAs state parks state forest and state conservation areas, at the county level I'm supposing you'd need to look at local ordinances, and for other lands look at the agency responsible (for instance the fair board covers the fairgrounds and so those with LTCH cannot carry at fairgrounds during the state fair not on criminal law but due to fair board rules); private land is largely at permission of owner, in safe manner, and county/local ordinances governed.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville

^^ that right there. Good advice!

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    I'm not sure on the miss limits, or what you mean by other state owned lands; but I did realize I forgot to finish my initial post when I got caught up in my research, if you're near Hoosier National Forest, then it appears you've got a lot more leeway

Hoosier National Forest- Alerts

I would use the contact info on the left to find out the exact legal code, so you can know word for word what is allowed to keep on the proper side of things with the feds and be able to explain your situation if questioned.

The laws about state land I mentioned in post #9 would cover FWAs state parks state forest and state conservation areas, at the county level I'm supposing you'd need to look at local ordinances, and for other lands look at the agency responsible (for instance the fair board covers the fairgrounds and so those with LTCH cannot carry at fairgrounds during the state fair not on criminal law but due to fair board rules); private land is largely at permission of owner, in safe manner, and county/local ordinances governed.

I appreciate the heads-up on the HNF. I'm in the southwestern part of the state--not far at all.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    When I was a kid, we'd just pull the truck off the road in the river bottoms and blaze away into a hillside. Does anyone still do that?

I do nearly every day but the hillsides are on my place.

Before spending a lot of time developing reticle ranging skills consider that laser rangefinders get better and better every day.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center

Iv'e been Google Earth for 3 or 4 years for ranging groundhogs, and setting up shots on them at known yardages. Its handy to use the stick pins.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I might be missing something here, but taking shots of several hundred yards at random targets on public land could endanger someone who isn't visible from the shooter,s location. The mention of different types of terrain certainly opens the possibility of unseen hunters, hikers, etc., being placed in jeopardy.

If I've misread all of this, then apologies offered; but if not, then I see a need to rethink this.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    I might be missing something here, but taking shots of several hundred yards at random targets on public land could endanger someone who isn't visible from the shooter,s location. The mention of different types of terrain certainly opens the possibility of unseen hunters, hikers, etc., being placed in jeopardy.

If I've misread all of this, then apologies offered; but if not, then I see a need to rethink this.

Yes, I think that you definitely misread; however, apologies not necessary. If you would, please insert the term "deer" or "coyote" in place of "random targets", and let me know if that changes your premise.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    I do nearly every day but the hillsides are on my place.

Before spending a lot of time developing reticle ranging skills consider that laser rangefinders get better and better every day.

Laser range finders are wonderful tools--when they work. But that would defeat the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish. It's the challenge that makes it interesting and worthwhile.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    If you can clearly see and identify your target, and you're pretty sure where your bullet is going to hit, then I don't see any issue with range.

Having said that, at the distances you're talking about it's easy to misjudge by a bunch. One helpful way I have found to improve ranging is by hiking and picking an object at an unknown distance, tree, rock, etc., estimating range and then walking it off to see how close my guess was.

Certainly not an exact science, and uneven terrain doesn't allow a straight line walk, but it is one way to improve range estimating in the woods,

Top Bottom