LEGAL Guns in schools and churches bill headed to Michigan Governor desk!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    glenn and rush have talked about this at length for the last few days concerning right to work - Michigan, as we know is a blue state but for the last few days have been decidedly red in their state policy.
    how does this happen? and why doesnt it happen more? states are more and more often -bucking the trend- when it comes to disobeying federal policy, pot laws come to mind here.
    the simple question is, why doesnt it happen with more frequency, as it should, but the more philosophical question is, WHY does it happen at all? one would think, if Michigan was dedicated blue, why are they turning conservative in their own policies?

things like this gives me hope that common sense occasionally prevails.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, I was lambasted once on this board because I suggested that the republican party in the state of Indiana was not much different from the democrat party in the same state. Two peas in a pod. Lower taxes much? Nope. Reduce spending much? Nope. Push any meaningful social or liberty issue lately? Nope. O'bannon or Daniels. Sadly, much the same. The republicans have held the governorship in Indiana for, what, 8 years? How long did the republicans have a majority in the Assembly/Senate?

Here are my predictions on state politics in the upcoming super majority republican session.
    1) No meaningful pro-gun legislation. Constitutional carry would be ideal, as would ridding our population of unconstitutional restrictions such as the policies our state universities have about being armed while on campus (isn't it really the people's property afterall?). It would be pretty hard to get these guys and gals to actually read the state constitution and see its rather simple wording on the issue here.
    2) No meaningful tax reform. In my humble opinion, there should never be an income tax on anyone's income as money is property and taxation without consent is outright theft.
    3) No meaningful property rights reform, a.k.a. property tax abolition. Again, land, homes, cars, etc. are private property and should not be ownable only with a condition of a tax being paid to keep said property.
    4) Despite not being a drug user (and I mean the narcotic variety), I do not see our super majority legalizing something as natural as marijuana and taxing it as we do beer and cigarettes.
    5) No meaningful regulatory reform that would attract businesses to Indiana to enhance the state economy with more jobs.

What I do see happening.
    1) More restrictions with regards to private property rights, such as a statewide smoking ban which restricts private property owners the right to decide how their property AND businesses are run.
    2) More spending. Face it, both major parties are addicted to handouts whether they are to people or corporations.
    3) Enough... tired and going to bed.

John

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not sure how good that law will be. It says that schools can still choose to be victim disarmament zones and it will have the force of law. Can't see very many schools choosing to allow guns on campus, given the makeup of most teachers unions.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I'm not sure how the shooter got in, but in the schools around here there is only one way in the door, and you have to be checked in when you do arrive. I'm not sure it's enough.
    I think there needs to be an armed presence in every school. I'm not talking about some bulls!!t TSA type thing, but real security in the form of uniformed, sworn officers. Or heck, carefully screened and trained moms and dads of the kids at that school volunteering. I would have gladly spent a week walking the halls if I knew I was doing some good..

I think it has come to that, and we need to take on the cost as the price of doing the business of education these days. Damn shame, but I think it's time.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I'm not sure how the shooter got in, but in the schools around here there is only one way in the door, and you have to be checked in when you do arrive. I'm not sure it's enough.
    I think there needs to be an armed presence in every school. I'm not talking about some bulls!!t TSA type thing, but real security in the form of uniformed, sworn officers. Or heck, carefully screened and trained moms and dads of the kids at that school volunteering. I would have gladly spent a week walking the halls if I knew I was doing some good..

I think it has come to that, and we need to take on the cost as the price of doing the business of education these days. Damn shame, but I think it's time.

I would most definitely volunteer my time to patrolling the halls of my kids' schools. However, I could see some parent doing something stupid and ruining that. I like the idea of a sworn in guard that has professional training and is continually evaluated. I would like to see a guard station at the only entrance. Just something that is another measure against preventing this type of thing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Why don't I just pay for your medical care too. Oh. Wait.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Why don't I just pay for your medical care too. Oh. Wait.

"We" could have meant the parents of the children in that school, too, 88GT, not necessarily everyone who lives in the district.

FTR, though, I'm right there with you. I think parents' presence and a possibly-armed (no one knows until it happens) faculty would be the best deterrent. Also the least expensive.

Blessings,
    Bill

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    88GT has a point.
    I meant more like a sworn officer we already pay for such as a deputy or a police officer. Part of a rotating schedule or part of a daily shift.

Like I said, it's just time for a trained, armed person in the schools.

Top Bottom