• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    So, is there a difference between a switchblade (or auto opening knife) and a spring assist knife? Is one or both legal/illegal to carry? I saw this similar discussion on a similar thread, and started to wonder about my spring assist that I carry as a utility knife.

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

What specifically does "Opens Automatically" mean, with respect to a spring assist?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

What specifically does "Opens Automatically" mean, with respect to a spring assist?
    "Assisted open" knives are legal since they require the user to exert pressure on the blade itself to engage the spring assist.
    Switchblades open by applying pressure to a release button and not the blade.
    It is a small, and stupid, difference.
    The idiocy over switchblades came about when I was a kid and movies of the day purported that switchblade knives were the primary weapon of "Gang" members.
    Which was a huge load of crap.
    The true stupidity is that sheath knives are perfectly legal and they require NO opening assist of any kind.
    Just draw it from the sheath and cut away. :n00b:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Assisted open" knives are legal since they require the user to exert pressure on the blade itself to engage the spring assist.
    Switchblades open by applying pressure to a release button and not the blade.
    It is a small, and stupid, difference.
    The idiocy over switchblades came about when I was a kid and movies of the day purported that switchblade knives were the primary weapon of "Gang" members.
    Which was a huge load of crap.
    The true stupidity is that sheath knives are perfectly legal and they require NO opening assist of any kind.
    Just draw it from the sheath and cut away. :n00b:

Plus, they're vastly superior if you want to use one as a weapon.

Top Bottom