• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was at the Joe Nichols concert at 8 seconds saloon last night CCing my 1911 and a fight broke out in front of me. I was not involved in the original altercation. However I was involved in helping to break up the fight and holding back one of the aggressors. On my way home after the show I started to wonder if there would be any legal implications had I actually been involved in a fight and carrying a gun. Would it be treated just like any other fight and we would both just be ejected from the venue or would we both be arrested and upon arrest they find my gun and now I have extra charges? Anyone have any ideas?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you're involved in an altercation, have a weapon and don't draw it, especially if nobody ever knew, it may not be the best under the law, but it should stand you in good stead with a reasonable prosecutor, if you should happen to find one. You have, after all, demonstrated restraint and proportional response. You don't want to have to go naked, just because you're afraid you might have to block a punch.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What could I be charged with for just HAVING a gun on me. I am legally allowed to carry.

If you read what I posted, you would know that it says if you are in POSSESSION of a deadly weapon during commission of battery it is a felony.

If you aren't commiting a crime there is no problem. You cannot get in trouble if you are lawfully possessing and carrying a legal firearm where you are allowed by law.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    You were at the 8 Seconds Saloon and a fight broke out?

It was probably about OC vs CC.

I think Titanium Frost is correct except I feel that initially you will be lumped in with the brawlers and possibly arrested. It will be sorted out later and the PA will not file charges.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Is this what you guys are quoting?
    (3) a Class C felony if it results in serious bodily injury to any other person or if it is committed by means of a deadly weapon;

You have to do more than be in possession. You have to use a deadly weapon to cause the battery. Committing a battery while carrying a firearm but not using it is no different than not having one at all.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Is this what you guys are quoting?
    (3) a Class C felony if it results in serious bodily injury to any other person or if it is committed by means of a deadly weapon;

You have to do more than be in possession. You have to use a deadly weapon to cause the battery. Committing a battery while carrying a firearm but not using it is no different than not having one at all.

You are correct. I read it three times and every time I read it I swear it said "possession". Thanks for the clarification.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Was there plenty of people trying to break it up? If so, I'm not a bar person but, if it were me and I was armed, I would have avoided it like the plague.

Top Bottom