Legal issues with sale to Illinois resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    Guys,
    I've been contacted by a potential buyer from Illinois about buying a rifle I have for sale. He says that he is a FOID holder. What are the issues with going ahead with this transaction? It should go thru a FFL and he should have a FOID is about all I know. Can anyone brief me on this or should I just turn it down? I don't want to run afoul of the law!

Thanks Tim

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If the FFL in Illinois will accept direct shipment from a private party (it's legal but not always within policy for the specific FFL holder), you can ship your unloaded rifle through USPS (assuming Illinois has no provision prohibiting your specific firearm type or caliber).

Or, you can have a local Indiana FFL do it for you. He/she will charge a fee for that service....generally $20 or so, plus shipping costs and insurance.

You can assure that the FFL in Illinois is "kosher" by getting the info required here: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    Regardless of whether the buyer receives his purchase at an IL FFL or an IN FFL he will be required to wait 24hrs. after passing the NICS check befoe he can pick it up per Illinois law.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I decided to turn the offer down. Too many worries on my part. I talked to an FFL locally too and he also advised me to turn the sale down too. Sad to turn money down, but it will sell eventually.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No offense, but I don't know what you're worried about. It's perfectly legal for either an Indiana or Illinois FFL to handle the transfer for you. You deliver the rifle to the FFL, take buyer's money and tell him to have a nice day. He finishes his business with the FFL, pays him his transfer fee, waits the 24 hours and takes his new rifle home.

I don't know what your local FFL was worried about either, unless he's never done a sale like that, and doesn't know the regs.

Top Bottom