• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife is actually ready to buy her first firearm in her name. She has a Sig P238 and a Taurus 85. But I bought those years ago when laws were different. I'm buying off Bud's online from my account. Does it matter that my name is on that account? When we pick it up from the FFL she will fill out the paperwork.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife is actually ready to buy her first firearm in her name. She has a Sig P238 and a Taurus 85. But I bought those years ago when laws were different. I'm buying off Bud's online from my account. Does it matter that my name is on that account? When we pick it up from the FFL she will fill out the paperwork.
    I believe the purchaser needs to fill out the paperwork.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I was afraid of that. So if she would carry a firearm that is in my name, is that a legal issue?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I guess I was getting confused buy that new law that says all sales must go through an FFL

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I'm not mistaken it's perfectly acceptable and legal to give it to your wife as a gift.
    You are not mistaken.

One may gift a gun to someone as long as they are a proper person and it is an actual gift; e.g. you did not use their money to buy it. THEN it would be a straw purchase.

But if its your money and you want to gift it to her, perfectly legal.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was afraid of that. So if she would carry a firearm that is in my name, is that a legal issue?
    The license say, "any handgun legally possessed."
    As long as you're o.k. with her possessing it, it is legal for her to carry.
    That supposes of course that she is not otherwise prohibited...
    Now you don't even need a license.
    I am not a lawyer...

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I thought there was a law that passed a couple of years ago. I did a search. I guess it did not pass...or maybe I was dreaming. LOL
    You might be thinking of illinois, I believe there all face to face transfers have to recorded. A transfer must either go through an FFL or you must fill out the transfer information then that must go to an FFL to be retained for 20 years. Jim.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    As mentioned above, it is not a straw purchase if it is a bona fide gift. So it is perfectly legal for you to buy the gun on your account and then give it to her. But if you're purchasing it using your account, you will be the one who has to go the FFL and fill out the 4473. If your wife wants to have the true experience, she should just create her own Bud's Gun Shop account. (Takes all of 10 min.)

Top Bottom