• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearm season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, and .500 S&W

Source: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf Page 6

Handguns for deer hunting: [FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light][FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light]Handguns, other than muzzle loading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.
    Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.
    Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett. Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.
    Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections to the end of the barrel, including the muzzle crown.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    So my .458 socom AR is legal? Wish I had known that sooner can't wait till next year. Another question, is .45 colt same as .45 long colt? I have a circuit judge rifle that I would like my son to use if it is legal for rifle as well as shot gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let me get this straight...

You were able to find INGO. Complete the registration process. Figure out how to post a question...

But are unable to go to an internet search engine and look up the Indiana Deer Hunting Regulations?

Let me google that for you

I honestly and truly mean no offense... But, as the Monday Night Football folks like to say "Come on, man?"

-J-

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Another question, is .45 colt same as .45 long colt?

Yes. There are a lot more calibers that are legal in rifles for deer than the sample listed above. They don't have to be "pistol" rounds, as that is just the nomenclature used to describe them. As long as the bullet is .357" diameter or greater AND the empty brass has a length between 1.16" and 1.8", then it is deer legal in a rifle.

Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks to the 2 non rude answers, they were very helpful. I have only been in Indiana for about 6 weeks and thought I'd ask the people who have actually hunted deer in Indiana and would know best. As to Indy_Guy_77, way to show the Hoosier hospitality.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Let me get this straight...

You were able to find INGO. Complete the registration process. Figure out how to post a question...

But are unable to go to an internet search engine and look up the Indiana Deer Hunting Regulations?

Let me google that for you

I honestly and truly mean no offense... But, as the Monday Night Football folks like to say "Come on, man?"

-J-

I gotz da mad Googlin' Skillz:draw:

Fastest mouse clicker in Northern Indiana

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks to the 2 non rude answers, they were very helpful. I have only been in Indiana for about 6 weeks and thought I'd ask the people who have actually hunted deer in Indiana and would know best. As to Indy_Guy_77, way to show the Hoosier hospitality.

Naw, don't take it too hard there. Question was answered. It's usually followed up by comments from the Peanut Gallery. We like living there, cause there are a lot of nuts. It's FUN!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    i had a dnr officer forward me his bulletin on the new laws today, and the new case length for 2012 is 1.8. i dont know how to add links, but if someone would send me their email address i will forward the complete deer laws bulletin from them.

Top Bottom