• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Also, before you build a pistol, be absolutely sure that the lower has never been configure as a rifle before. Most manufacturers will sell a pistol lower that has a letter certifying that the receiver was never built as a rifle. Once a rifle always a rifle, you can't make a rifle into a pistol. But here is where this gets sticky, I have heard that as long as it was built as a pistol first, it can have a long upper put on it, (no longer classifying as a pistol) but it can still revert to being a pistol. You just can't take a gun that was originally a rifle and make it into a pistol. So I would recommend having your lower transferred as a handgun on the 4473 and if possible, get a letter of certification that it wasn't built as a rifle prior to leaving the factory.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ...it can have a long upper put on it, (no longer classifying as a pistol) but it can still revert to being a pistol. You just can't take a gun that was originally a rifle and make it into a pistol. So I would recommend having your lower transferred as a handgun on the 4473 and if possible, get a letter of certification that it wasn't built as a rifle prior to leaving the factory.

Just to be clear. A pistol can have any kind of upper on it. Just like a contender can have a 20" barrel if it pleases, it is still a pistol. NOW if you SBR your pistol (which does make it a rifle) and later want to declassify it, my understanding is that you can do so.

To my knowledge, length of barrel or type of upper a rifle does not make a rifle of a pistol. Only a butt-stock makes that change.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    If you take the buttstock off of a rifle are you illegally converting a rifle into a pistol? It sounds like if the buttstock has ever been on it, then it must stay on it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you take the buttstock off of a rifle are you illegally converting a rifle into a pistol? It sounds like if the buttstock has ever been on it, then it must stay on it.

Not exactly. So long as the over all length fulfills the requirement you are ok. You just cannot have a short barrel or drop below minimum over all length.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    There is nothing illegal about my PLR-16 that shoots .223 out of a pistol. Why is there so much discussion on this?

INGunGuy

Because people were trying to explain how not to accidentally make it illegal at a federal level.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    There is nothing illegal about my PLR-16 that shoots .223 out of a pistol. Why is there so much discussion on this?

INGunGuy

If you don't get it then well, you just don't get it.

He's asking about restrictions- restrictions as in what he can and can't do to it. Remember, AR15 pistols look funny with a buffer tube attached.

He's looking to convert one or build one I would guess- they are rare to buy as new.

So, you bought another type of rifle as a pistol. That was obviously an easy task but just keep in mind the OP is building one and really wants to stay on the right side of the law. That is all.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh Ok, well I didnt read the initial post close enough to pick up on wanting to convert a AR-15 to a pistol. I was thinking just shooting .223 out of a pistol. My fault, I didnt mean to sound like a dork.

INGunGuy

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Come on MODS, put this thing to rest already

668.x600.th.rev.kicking.jpg

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Wow, Joe, that was handled very well. Rep! (if I could!)

What? You can't rep? Sheesh!

Redneck- what's the problem? Threads like this should stay open for future questions later on.

It's better to have a thread "Grow" if any more questions come up than to have 5 separate ones that are just slightly different from one another. Right? One-stop shopping?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Redneck- what's the problem? Threads like this should stay open for future questions later on.

It's better to have a thread "Grow" if any more questions come up than to have 5 separate ones that are just slightly different from one another. Right? One-stop shopping?

Agreed...but this seems to be a revolving door.

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    If you build an AR as a pistol can you then later SBR it and put a stock on it? Do you have to SBR a receiver already registered as a rifle?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you build an AR as a pistol can you then later SBR it and put a stock on it? Do you have to SBR a receiver already registered as a rifle?
    You can turn just about anything into a rifle legally (this would included SBR). But if something was built as a rifle originally, it can't be turned into a pistol.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    ar pistols are pistols. so they are legal, just do not put a stock on them. then you have a short barreled rifle. i have shot alot of ar-15 pistols and have never been impressed. profession ordinances were junk, bushmaster bought them. they never figured it out. rocky mountain arms never functioned right. i have always seen problums with short barrels in the ar action..... of course someone is going to say they have one and it works great though........ the best .223 pistol i have shot is the kel-tec PLR beleave it or not. i would take it over any ar-15 pistol. it uses the ar mags but has a gas piston and functions way better.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    You almost say that as if you believe pistols and short barreled rifles are not reliable and not from the pov that its just the ones you've fired that are poor quality. You get what you pay for. If you're like the typical fool that just has to have an AR and buys the cheapest thing possible, of course it won't function well.

Buy an old beat up porsche and tell me that porsches don't handle well.

The keltec functions way better? How many rounds had been through that keltec? I've seen them fail very very early. I was at the range once and a guy had nothing but problems. His exctractor insert was junk and not working. And yes of course, it's an ar15 bolt jammed into a frankengun. I've never owned an ar15 that wasn't 125% superior to any keltec.
    ar pistols are pistols. so they are legal, just do not put a stock on them. then you have a short barreled rifle. i have shot alot of ar-15 pistols and have never been impressed. profession ordinances were junk, bushmaster bought them. they never figured it out. rocky mountain arms never functioned right. i have always seen problums with short barrels in the ar action..... of course someone is going to say they have one and it works great though........ the best .223 pistol i have shot is the kel-tec PLR beleave it or not. i would take it over any ar-15 pistol. it uses the ar mags but has a gas piston and functions way better.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    You almost say that as if you believe pistols and short barreled rifles are not reliable and not from the pov that its just the ones you've fired that are poor quality. You get what you pay for. If you're like the typical fool that just has to have an AR and buys the cheapest thing possible, of course it won't function well.

Buy an old beat up porsche and tell me that porsches don't handle well.
    Well said! :yesway:

Top Bottom