• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just another reason to love Indiana...no laws restricting the rights of an individual to carry a long stick!

On a more serious note...my father-in-law lives in VA and had to take a class on the use of one in order to get his liscense to carry it. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes...it's a seperate liscense from their CCW

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I believe any citizen should be able to carry any weapon they wish. That said a expandable baton screams police. This is about avoiding the appearance of evil. A sturdy pen in the eye like the Zebra 701 which you can carry anywhere..even in your hand, will stop a fight as fast as an ASP, and you will not hesitate to use it like a prohibited weapon.- Just my $.02- George
    Agreed. Also check out the Tactical Defense Pen by Mil-Tac: Tactical Defense Pens - TDP-1

I carry one everywhere - including the Peoples Republic of Illinois. (They haven't' banned writing utensils - yet).

That said, I'm not aware of any Indiana law that prohibits collabsable batons (athough I have to admit I've never researched the issue). If they were going to be illegal, I'd have to believe they would show up in the "prohibited instruments of violence" statute, Ind. Code 35-41-5, along with self-opening switchblades and Chinese throwing stars - and they don't.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    For less than a tenth of the price of a "tactical" ink pen, you could invest in a Pentech brand "Matisse" like I have. All metal construction, very pointy nib. If, God forbid, I found myself in a position where I was actually ready to consider utilizing an ink pen as a weapon, I think I'd trust this one as much as I'd be willing to trust any writing implement; tactical or otherwise.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    We own an asp that I got for my wife when we were having dog problems in the neighborhood (big and small dogs). Twice she deployed it and in both cases the barking dogs got quiet and left. Probably the "CLANK" sound, but whatever, it helped.

We don't use it much anymore, but have not gotten rid of it either.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I used to carry kubotans with me (even in high school I sometimes had one around my neck--just to see if anyone knew what it was).
    When I worked for a lawfirm during college, my kubotan was my keychain.
    For some reason, I didn't leave the keys at the office when I walked over to the courthouse for routine file work. Was prevented entrance to the county courthouse if I had that kubotan keychain. (and they wouldn't let it stay on the table).
    Mind you, that was 16 years ago!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I gave my sister one of those expandable batons along with some pepper spray when she moved out to Seattle. I figured if she wouldn't take a gun with her for home defense, I had to send something. And she's a very strong, quick, physical person so I thought a baton would work out well. I may need to buy her an ASP brand one though. She told me a couple months ago a friend of hers extended it hard and she couldn't get it to collapse again. Not sure if she ever got it or not.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    It absolutely pains me how police are trained to use the stick because of liability reasons. Most of it flies in the face of what is actually makes the stick so effective. A simple rattan escrima stick is absolutely my favorite SD tool hand down.- George

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I emailed the ISP a couple of years ago and was responded to by a Female State Police LT whose name I cant remember. She said yes a private citizen can own and carry one but they are considered a [STRIKE]lethal [/STRIKE] Deadly weapon not a less lethal weapon.

Last edited:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Don't forget a good old tactical light...big or small... is not illegal anywhere that I know of. But what do I know?

C'mon, what if it is not tactical? Paint it black and velcro some MOLLE to it:rockwoot:

I agree, lights are underrated.- George

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Batons are just another tool to have in your box. They have their place in usage, along with a wide variety of instruments.
    They big thing is not to get hung up on the idea that I only have a firearm, or I only have a edged weapon. Also try to avoid the thought that only a firearm, edged weapon, or baton is a weapon. If you take the mindset that you are the weapon and all other things are tools to be used, look around your locations and you might be surprised at what is readily laying around to pommel someone into submission with...

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Lethal weapon?

Wonder why she would say that. Maybe she thought she just had to say something?

Very odd.
    If you wield it against another human the ASP baton is considered a deadly weapon. This is the same as a baseball bat. The BB bat is not considered a deadly weapon but it will be classified as such if you use it in the commission of a crime.

Top Bottom