• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So basically it was a waste of the LEO's time and the guy with the guns time who was driving home doing nothing illegal, because some guy freaked out and peed himself at the sight of a gun.

Yep, sure is. I wish dispatchers would screen out man with a gun calls. Whenever, I get them, I ask "dispatch, what are they doing?" .... their reply "nothing," :rolleyes: and yet, I still have to go.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Didn't see this one posted yet.
    Police surround car after gun scare | wthitv.com

Oh no not another legally armed citizen.

He needs one of these:

132.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wish these stories would end with...

"The man that made the call to police was apprehended shortly after, forced to pay a small fine for prank calling the police, and will be attending a class/school to educate him on Indiana laws."

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Didn't see this one posted yet.
    Police surround car after gun scare | wthitv.com

Oh no not another legally armed citizen.

A similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago. I was getting off work and just made a very large deposit for the company I was working for. I was in my car taking my pistol out of my holster and putting it in its case when someone in a truck drove by the office (I was parked on the street), and looked down to see me doing it.

So, shortly, after as I was driving home, I swung by my bank since I had to make a quick withdrawal (the reason I didn't leave my gun in holster on me) and 4+ squad cars flew in to the bank parking lot. I saw them coming from everywhere, one even inadvertently jumped over a parking curb. I was like "holy $%&t" I wonder what's going on?? I have a front row seat to something big. I thought maybe there was a hostage situation or someone was in the lot who just robbed the bank. I was in my late twenties so I was pretty excited...until I saw the person they were surrounding was me.

I looked behind me and there was a PO aiming what looked to be a shotgun right at me behind his door. The others were also aiming various weapons at me. Looking back it was actually pretty crazy. But, in the end all went well. The officer approaching me from the side asked if I was armed. I calmly said "yes, and that I have a permit. I just made a large deposit for the company I worked for..." With my hands in plain sight, held up above my steering wheel I then told him where it was and he opened the other door, grabbed it and took it to his car.

They were all actually pretty cool with me and one even started talking shop and said that he liked the pistol. It was a Beretta 92F with wood grips. I understood their concern, especially since I was driving into a bank parking lot. It was kind of alarming, but since I ended up with all my body parts in good order all was well. I asked him what I could have done differently to avoid what happened, and he said nothing really, other than be more careful. It was just a misunderstanding. It's not like I did this all in plain view. I actually did it all well below people's line of sight if they were walking by. It just so happens that a large truck drove by and was able to look down into my car.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Why does he need an XD?

I would constantly knee knock that.
    Wish these stories would end with...

"The man that made the call to police was apprehended shortly after, forced to pay a small fine for prank calling the police, and will be attending a class/school to educate him on Indiana laws."
    Good point. False accusations cost money. If nothing is going on then why are the police called repeatedly? Do we call the police everytime someone knocks on our door for trespassing?

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I wonder what state the driver was from since the police said he had a "PERMIT" for the handgun...

I wonder if the police told the reporter "permit" or "license". Or did the reporter just call it a permit. It might also help to educate the public if they understood that the license is to carry a handgun, not a SPECIFIC gun.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    A similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago. I was getting off work and just made a very large deposit for the company I was working for. I was in my car taking my pistol out of my holster and putting it in its case when someone in a truck drove by the office (I was parked on the street), and looked down to see me doing it.

So, shortly, after as I was driving home, I swung by my bank since I had to make a quick withdrawal (the reason I didn't leave my gun in holster on me) and 4+ squad cars flew in to the bank parking lot. I saw them coming from everywhere, one even inadvertently jumped over a parking curb. I was like "holy $%&t" I wonder what's going on?? I have a front row seat to something big. I thought maybe there was a hostage situation or someone was in the lot who just robbed the bank. I was in my late twenties so I was pretty excited...until I saw the person they were surrounding was me.

I looked behind me and there was a PO aiming what looked to be a shotgun right at me behind his door. The others were also aiming various weapons at me. Looking back it was actually pretty crazy. But, in the end all went well. The officer approaching me from the side asked if I was armed. I calmly said "yes, and that I have a permit. I just made a large deposit for the company I worked for..." With my hands in plain sight, held up above my steering wheel I then told him where it was and he opened the other door, grabbed it and took it to his car.

They were all actually pretty cool with me and one even started talking shop and said that he liked the pistol. It was a Beretta 92F with wood grips. I understood their concern, especially since I was driving into a bank parking lot. It was kind of alarming, but since I ended up with all my body parts in good order all was well. I asked him what I could have done differently to avoid what happened, and he said nothing really, other than be more careful. It was just a misunderstanding. It's not like I did this all in plain view. I actually did it all well below people's line of sight if they were walking by. It just so happens that a large truck drove by and was able to look down into my car.

WOW...thats a story, had me laughing....but I gotta give the LEO's a total FAIL for drawing down on you. Thank God you weren't shot....thank God it didn't happen in Canton, OH.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    WOW...thats a story, had me laughing....but I gotta give the LEO's a total FAIL for drawing down on you. Thank God you weren't shot....thank God it didn't happen in Canton, OH.

I know. My buddy, who's brother is a LEO still gives me grief to this day about it. I guess it was just bad timing, around the time there were quite a few armed robberies at either that particular bank, or others within the area.

My understanding after speaking with some people about it was that the guy in the truck who called 911 actually followed me and noticed that I was driving into the bank parking lot. Not sure if that is true, but that's what I was told.

I will say this though, the LEO's were very quick to arrive, and to their credit, quick to calm down. I guess Magnum P.I. in the truck who followed me probably thought the withdrawal slip I had in hand was actually a note asking for the teller to empty the vault...or else! ;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well TH LEO was recently killed I believe so perhaps they were just being cautious.

Top Bottom