• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I just ordered a couple boxes of this ammo in hopes of transitioning to it as the carry round in my Glock 42. I've seen some reviews, and it looks promising, but also very consistent in how it behaves in FBI-style gel tests. I know Tim at Military Arms Channel was carrying it in his G42, as well. (At least until he switches to a G43 for summer/light carry). In fact, this ammo appears to move the .380 into 9mm territory with penetration and the "wound" channel. It is a pretty radical departure from the norm, though.

Anyway, has anyone shot this stuff? What do you think? I'm going to put 6 mags or so rounds down range, then if the G42 likes it, I'll carry it and order more for practice.

I'll then shoot up my remaining Remington Ultimate Defense (current carry round) and a box of Hornady Critical Defense. Both appear not to perform too well in the gel tests, with the Hornady not penetrating enough, and the Remington inconsistently opening or overpenetrating without opening. Here's one of the videos. It is pretty interesting, and will lead you to others. They are pretty interesting videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw

The effectiveness of the .380 can be improved by good ammo. Some of what I've assumed to be good ammo may not be so great. This may not be the answer, but it sure gets you thinking about it.

I will carry my G42 more often in the warm months, so that's what got me thinking about it as we're heading toward summer. Otherwise, I most often carry a Ruger SR9c or Glock 19. In 9mm, some of the ammo like Golden Sabers or Critical Defense have more acceptable performance. Right now, my main 9mm carry ammo is Federal Hydra Shok (appears to be an excellent performer) or Remington Golden Sabers. I had read sometime back that the Golden Sabers were pretty consistent with expansion and penetration in 9mm. I'm not really sure, except it was disappointing in .380. I may move to the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator in 9mm, too, once I have the $$$ to do it properly.

Sorry for the ramble. I've just been enjoying the research and have been thinking about it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The Xtreme penetrators from Lehigh have mostly run well in my G42, but I did have a failure to feed in 20 rounds. That's not good enough for carry. I think the edge of the bullet caught on the feed ramp. I'm guessing on that, though.

They now have Xtreme Defender ammo with a modified bullet design that appears to be less likely to snag on the edge of the feed ramp. I'm going to order a box of it and give it a go. It will be from Underwood, though. They load them hotter, and their stuff runs better in my guns. For now, when I carry my Glock 42, I'm running Freedom Munitions with Hornady XTP hollow points. They run perfectly.

I've got Underwood Xtreme Penetrators in 9mm and 10mm, and they both run perfectly. I've shot it through my Glock 19, 43, and 20. The 10mm would be a good load for bears, IMO. I saw a video where it penetrated 2 inches of bullet proof glass, so I don't think it would have much trouble with a bear skull. It is a really hot load, too.

Finally, I have Underwood with Xtreme Defenders in 9mm and carry it in my Glock 43. It is +P+, so it is a pretty hot load. It also runs perfectly in the G43, and is my carry ammo in it.

Both the Xtreme Penetrators and Xtreme Defenders are very accurate, whether from Lehigh or Underwood. I think the fact the bullets are CNC machined instead of cast makes them more consistent.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Xtreme defender looks sweet, but I can't stomach $30/20 rounds + shipping.

Yeah, that's the hard part, and it certainly isn't range ammo. I got it on sale when it first came out, but it was still steep. Really, I'm only going to stick with the Xtreme Penetrators on the Glock 20, again, for bear country.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Yeah, that's the hard part, and it certainly isn't range ammo. I got it on sale when it first came out, but it was still steep. Really, I'm only going to stick with the Xtreme Penetrators on the Glock 20, again, for bear country.

Yeah...I have to put at least 20 rounds through several magazines to determine feed/ejection reliability...$30 is a pretty steep test to throw down range if the ammo sucks in my gun...I got a bunch of .380 american gunner aka hornady custom for 9.99/box of 25 on black friday weekend.

I've watched a lot of shootingthebull410's gel tests with 380 and what not and he throws out stuff that "over penetrates" (goes further than 16" in ballistics gel) but tbh I don't think that should be a disqualifier.... I mean if the bullet went 32" yes ok there's a problem, but that gel is nothing like human tissue. Shooting a dead pig seems to be a better test than the gel as far as real penetration is concerned, and the Lehigh 9mm round didn't even penetrate a dead pig through the shoulder so I'm guessing that any .380 jhp wouldn't either.

Top Bottom