• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Is this the same INGO that didn't have a problem with the mechanic joy-riding and burger-buying in the customer's vehicle? :scratch:

I don't let people borrow things. Or I do, and I remember why I have a policy that says I don't.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Is this the same INGO that didn't have a problem with the mechanic joy-riding and burger-buying in the customer's vehicle? :scratch:

I don't let people borrow things. Or I do, and I remember why I have a policy that says I don't.

Do you have a trailer that I can borrow to haul some things?

OK was that too soon to mess with you about the trailer you had stolen?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a few things that I will loan out to anyone. For the most part, those are things that I bought cheap (auction, Craigslist, pawn shop, etc) with the idea that I would not need often and not be too mad if I lost. Some of these are things that I have spares, and I loan out the bad one.

I have a lot of things that I will loan out to very few people. Within my family (and Wifey's), return-it-as-good-as-you-got-it is a well established rule. Just about everyone else is more likely to get my help than to get to borrow.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Do you have a trailer that I can borrow to haul some things?

OK was that too soon to mess with you about the trailer you had stolen?

Naw. Someone was posting a "used A/C unit" in the classifieds just a few short hours after I posted about having a brand new one stolen a few years ago. Trucks and trailers don't get loaned out. Period. I'll drive. But no one touches my baby.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    My dad used to borrow broken items and return them in working order. e.g. "If I fix your broken backhoe can I use it for a few days?" He always returned items in better condition than he received them. That is just the way to operate.

Ive done this one. It works well for me, the owner, etc.

I have family I wont loan anything to. My car, a screwdriver, or a ham sandwich. So OP, its up to you. You can either keep sending your stuff to be broken, or just tell the guilty party NO!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    When I was a kid growing up, my father had some advice about borrowing things. 1) Before borrowing, consider the worst case scenario of what you would do if the item got damaged beyond repair or even stolen. 2) Try to give the item back in better condition than when you borrowed it. (Clean it, sharpen it, fill it with gas, fresh coat of paint, etcetera)
    So I loaned a lawn roller to a family member. It is the kind that you fill with water for weight. I always used it and then drained it when done. Simple.
    I hauled the roller to the guy. He had it for far too long and didn't return it. So today I thought enough is enough and went to retrieve it. As I am loading the roller, I discovered that he had left a considerable amount of water in it for who knows how long and it has several small holes rusted through. I mention this as I am loading it up. No "I'm sorry", "my bad", nothing. So I come home and weld up half a dozen holes, fill it and try to use it and find three more holes.
    Same guy borrowed a pole pruner several years ago and broke it too.
    The next time the guy asks to borrow something do I politely say, "No" or do I bring up the reasons why I am saying "No"?

This makes me nervous, as we actually have a lawn roller on loan to a family member right now! This person is usually pretty responsible, but it has been awhile...
    I will usually say "no", and maybe give the reason if I don't really want to loan something. I have even had to tell my own parents "no", long story...but it has to do with borrowing vehicles. It's not a good feeling. :(

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My dad has a poster hanging in the shop that is the golden rules of borrowing things. I can't quote it from memory but it goes something like this:
    1, if you borrow it, return it promptly
    2, if you break it, fix it
    3, if you can't fix it, find somebody that can
    4, if it can't be fixed buy a new one
    etc (there are actually 14 rules I think, but I can't remember them all)

Either way, growing up we learned those rules quite well. If somebody disrespects me or my tools they will be very lucky if they get another chance. I am VERY willing to let nearly anybody borrow nearly anything I have (even INGO members; go look at the tool loaner thread), but returning a tool in a damaged or broken condition is going to get you some negative attention.

That being said, when I borrow things I always try to return them in better condition. If it's a tool that you can't really top off the gas on etc I at least clean it up better than when I received it. I recently borrow my neighbor's sliding compound miter saw. He was showing me how to work it and it seemed to be "catching" on something. I took it home and before proceeding with the project I was doing I fixed the "catching" problem. Some people have been taught/have learned how to respect other people, but unfortunately too many people have NOT learned respect...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Scout6A, at the very least, I'd never loan my stuff to the guy(s) that have proven they won't care for your stuff. Like you, I was always taught to return something better than it was when I borrowed it. A few months ago, I decided to redo the floor in my hallway bath with tile. A friend of mine has a very nice Dewalt tile saw...a very nice system. He let me borrow it and was shocked when I returned it to him looking almost brand-new. (It was pretty dirty when I got it). He asked me why I did that. Apparently, that philosophy on returning items is not widely taught anymore.

My neighbor about crapped himself when I borrowed his wheelbarrow and returned it with a fresh coat of paint. Same condition or better.

I'll loan just about anything to anyone (if I know you) but I'm a glutton for punishment.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have a neighbor that borrowed something from me and never returned it. Later, he came over and asked to borrow it a second time. I explained that I no longer had it because he failed to return it the first time he borrowed it. He got mad at me and accused me of lying about it. It was something cheap and not a big deal, but it was all very strange.

Top Bottom