• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am starting training this weekend to be a reserve officer in my town. Reserve officers generally do more public service work like high school game presence than patrol. However, I still need to qualify with my gun that I will have on my side while in uniform. I also need to qualify with any backups that I want to carry. I never really put to much thought into whether I wanted to carry a backup or not. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having a backup. So, I was wondering if any Leo's on here would share what they carry as a backup and where. I've never tried an ankle holster, and the only firearm I have that is small enough would be my p3at keltec and I don't know how I feel about carrying that. This could possibly mean that I would need to purchase a new gun, which is a huge bummer (lol). As always, Thanks in advance for the insight.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I really like the shield in 9mm. Regarding LE, if you carry a glock you may wish to carry a baby version of that caliber. Thisll give you a backup that u can use the same mags in. On IMPD 2 officers were in a chase, when the suspect bailed he shot at an officer Striking his hand and detonating his gun. The other officer threw him his glock 27 and he could then stay in the fight and had 2 mags for reloads.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I encourage you to carry a backup gun (BUG) anytime you are working. I carry a J frame S&W .38 special. PM sent with more information.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    +1 on the baby glock as a backup, if you are issued a FS Glock.
    G27 for G22, G30 for G21, or G26 for G17

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    If the pistol you carry does not have a compact brother, at lease carry one in the cal. incase you run dry with duty gun. Sig has 239
    in 9/40/357 Sig, as does the Sig 224, but not as small as 239. SW MP has the 40/9 c also. SA also has smaller ones.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I don't always carry my BUG but when I do its my keltec .380 in my bdu pocket inside a holster designed for there.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    not a leo, but i know a seamstress that worked in a police uniform store who told me that she has added many a holster to the inside of the plate carrier on the bullet proof vests, i know one officer who carried a p3at and a benchmade infedel in his plate pocket on his bpv

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't recommend an ankle holster. As others stated above, you would ideally carry a gun that has a smaller brother that will use the same mags. At the very least, your BUG should be in the same chamber size as your primary.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry an LCR as my backup. If you are in uniform, I also agree ankle carry is less than ideal. You will eventually be up to your knees in water, snow, mud, etc. Even as a Big City Cop (tm), I've been in water up to mid thigh once and knee deep a couple of times.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Curious.... do municipalities/police depts that do not issue a firearm allow 1911's? I ask because I never see them, but see lots of different things (sigs, glocks, berettas, Springfield XD, M&P Smith etc).

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had a holster sewn into a outer vest carrier was my method. Get one a little bit big (Uncle Mikes cheapie IWB nylon), so there is fabric around the edge to do so. Agree about ankle carry as less than ideal.
    Back in the day, we carried a snub w/ no hammer/or bobbed in a opposite uniform pocket. (or jacket if winter) It worked. Good luck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Curious.... do municipalities/police depts that do not issue a firearm allow 1911's? I ask because I never see them, but see lots of different things (sigs, glocks, berettas, Springfield XD, M&P Smith etc).

Rules vary. Some departments do not allow SAO...but there are some that issue them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We were issued Smith 638's. I carried this in an ankle holster. Lots of foot chases and no problems. I also carried a .44 special bulldog in a pocket holster. Now I believe that dept. issues Kahr P9's as a backup gun.

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    In uniform we had the tailor remove the offside front pocket and replace it with a leather pouch, cut for the firearm.
    Although I carried a J Frame there for years, all the arguments for a compact version of your duty weapon are more than valid, especially if it takes the same magazines.
    Having taught the BUG section at the Academy and tested many a holster, please before you consider an ankle holster, borrow one, run with it, wear it for 8 hours and try to get to it quickly.
    Food for thought, it was designed to be drawn while you were down and on your back. Bending over to draw it or even squatting is not a position of advantage.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    In uniform we had the tailor remove the offside front pocket and replace it with a leather pouch, cut for the firearm.
    Although I carried a J Frame there for years, all the arguments for a compact version of your duty weapon are more than valid, especially if it takes the same magazines.
    Having taught the BUG section at the Academy and tested many a holster, please before you consider an ankle holster, borrow one, run with it, wear it for 8 hours and try to get to it quickly.
    Food for thought, it was designed to be drawn while you were down and on your back. Bending over to draw it or even squatting is not a position of advantage.

Agreed about the ankle holster. I wore mine there for easy access while seated in the car. Being left handed my duty weapon could be a bit difficult to get to quickly.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We're responsible for our own sidearm, and I planned on using my glock 22. I was leaning towards a revolver but I like the idea of using the same mags.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I have carried a back up on the vest, ankle and pocket. Each has advantages/disadvantages regarding draw, security, comfort, etc... It is good advice to borrow an ankle holster if possible before buying. Not all ankle holsters are alike. A Galco ankle glove is much better made and comfortable than the Fobus or Uncle Mikes. I also vote for carrying the compact version of the duty gun for many reasons.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    I highly recommend the 9mm shield. It hides about anywhere and beats a 380 anyday in terms of reliability and ballistic performance. It disappears in a slash pocket in bdu's or in a pocket in pants like mine usually is. Ankle is a poor place. I've seen more than one go flying in a foot pursuit or even a attempted grab while wrestling a resister. I'm a huge revolver guy and still carry one as a primary gun. But if it went down or ran out when I grab that backup I have 8 good rounds on board to deal with things. While there are exceptions to the rule remember most fights are over 6-7 rounds up close and very fast. There are some run and guns fights yes. BUt most times if you are yanking a backup out you are in a very bad way. Practice with it as you would your primary gun and all the mechanical aspects of the draw… fighting etc. Pay close attention to your maintenance schedule as it will be full of lint, crud and dust from carrying it under a uniform. It must go bang every time without fail with your carry ammo.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I carry a G27 on my vest and a 642 on my ankle. The 642 took a swim with me when we went into water to pull a lady out of an upside-down car and got full of 38th Street swamp funk but is no worse for wear now. Like was mentioned up-thread, the 642's purpose and placement is for an "oh crap" scenario where I am down and in a position to reach it as a last resort. It's also pretty handy and within reach range when I'm seated in the car.

Top Bottom