• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    WD your relative got lucky that his id showed he is a resident of the town. That pertty much de-escalted the jbt from doing anything else unlike in bill b case where a lot of other bad stuff followed him weeks later.

Your relative wont have to worry about that.
    In this case showing his id is his golden ticket since it shows he is a resident of the town.

For the rest of you. The town in question hates outsiders especially northern county people. They will profile you and harash you, ticket you, make false statements, arrest, all to ensure you, an outsider, do not come back.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've had two incidents when they didn't respond.
    the worst by far, I witnessed a shooting in downtown Indy. Before we all had cell phones.
    I drove a couple blocks until I found an IPD car on the side of the road. Told the officer what we'd just seen, the officer seemed more interested in the female in his front seat than in what I had to say.
    I was in disbelief! I don't know if he thought I was bull****ting or what.
    I got pissed off, yelled some not so nice words at the idiot and took off, tried for a few more minutes to find another officer, gave up and went home.
    I'm pretty sure the shooter missed his intended targets, as they ran away, but it scared the crap out of me! They were on the sidewalk, we were in my car, maybe 30' away max..

To this day I can't believe anyone that wears the badge could disregard something like that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    the worst by far, I witnessed a shooting in downtown Indy. Before we all had cell phones.
    I drove a couple blocks until I found an IPD car on the side of the road. Told the officer what we'd just seen, the officer seemed more interested in the female in his front seat than in what I had to say.
    I got pissed off, yelled some not so nice words at the idiot and took off, tried for a few more minutes to find another officer, gave up and went home.
    I'm pretty sure the shooter missed his intended targets, as they ran away, but it scared the crap out of me! They were on the sidewalk, we were in my car, maybe 30' away max..

To this day I can't believe anyone that wears the badge could disregard something like that.

I can see how that would have been disturbing to you at the time. The officer in question could have been an idiot but I would need some additional information before I could make that call.

Were there other witnesses?
    Could it have already been called in and already had other officers responding?
    Who was the female in the car? Was she a girlfriend or a victim/witness of a crime?

When I made the statement that we aren't in the business of refusing calls for service I was specifically referring to someone calling 911 with a legitimate request, such as a man walking down the street with a rifle. If someone calls 911 and wants to report the pizza delivery man shorting them $.50 in change we probably aren't coming.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can see how that would have been disturbing to you at the time. The officer in question could have been an idiot but I would need some additional information before I could make that call.

Were there other witnesses?
    Could it have already been called in and already had other officers responding?
    Who was the female in the car? Was she a girlfriend or a victim/witness of a crime?

When I made the statement that we aren't in the business of refusing calls for service I was specifically referring to someone calling 911 with a legitimate request, such as a man walking down the street with a rifle. If someone calls 911 and wants to report the pizza delivery man shorting them $.50 in change we probably aren't coming.
    No other witness that I saw besides the people being shot at. Doubt it was called in yet. I found this officer within one or two minutes of the shots being fired.
    the female? Who knows. Not a witness, they were a couple blocks away.
    I know that MOST officers are good people that want(and do) to do a good job, but this guy was a total douche!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    No other witness that I saw besides the people being shot at. Doubt it was called in yet. I found this officer within one or two minutes of the shots being fired.
    the female? Who knows. Not a witness, they were a couple blocks away.
    I know that MOST officers are good people that want(and do) to do a good job, but this guy was a total douche!

Perhaps he was but there may have been things at play that you were not aware of. Just trying to provide possible explanations for what you interpreted as an officer not doing his job. If he was speaking with a victim of a crime or there were already officers out on that call I could understand why he did not stop what he was doing to rush that way.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

You couldn't find a pay phone or an open business and use their phone? Must not have been very important to you either if you gave up so quickly.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    WD your relative got lucky that his id showed he is a resident of the town. That pertty much de-escalted the jbt from doing anything else unlike in bill b case where a lot of other bad stuff followed him weeks later.

Your relative wont have to worry about that.
    In this case showing his id is his golden ticket since it shows he is a resident of the town.

For the rest of you. The town in question hates outsiders especially northern county people. They will profile you and harash you, ticket you, make false statements, arrest, all to ensure you, an outsider, do not come back.

I lived in Amory Ms., a very small town, of around 5,000 back in the 90's.....

They didn't like "outsiders", and wanted to keep their little town, little .....

The P D, would be very harsh, on any visitors.....

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Perhaps he was but there may have been things at play that you were not aware of. Just trying to provide possible explanations for what you interpreted as an officer not doing his job. If he was speaking with a victim of a crime or there were already officers out on that call I could understand why he did not stop what he was doing to rush that way.
    I totally understand!
    if that was the case, I think he could have conveyed that to me. You had to be there. He blew me off like I was lying to him.
    I basically said "if it doesn't matter to you then F OFF!", figured there wasn't anything else I could do and went home.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You couldn't find a pay phone or an open business and use their phone? Must not have been very important to you either if you gave up so quickly.
    I probably could have found a phone if I was so inclined. You're correct.
    By the time I got done with the idiot pretending to be a cop there was NO WAY the perps OR the victims would be anywhere near where I saw them. If the kids being shot at were innocent, I assume THEY would have found a cop or a phone. The shooter and his buddy? I'm sure they were long gone!
    I did what I could at the time. It was late at night(no business open) on Market St. Just west of the circle. A buddy and I were just driving around. Turned the corner, saw three teens walking one way as they passed a couple of other teens walking the opposite way. They exchanged some words, heard one of them say "I'm gonna pop a cap in their ass". They got about 10-20' away and we heard 2 or 3 shots.
    I've never seen anyone run faster in my life!
    It scared the crap out of us!

If you're wondering how I heard all that from inside my car... It was late night, summer, windows down, t-tops out, and the kids between us and the brick buildings made it real easy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I lived in Amory Ms., a very small town, of around 5,000 back in the 90's.....

They didn't like "outsiders", and wanted to keep their little town, little .....

The P D, would be very harsh, on any visitors.....

It is this SAME mentality with the town in OP.
    Back in the 80s-90s I would even tag them as racist again any non-whites but that has changed in the past 10 years.
    Still the mentality that if you are not a town resident you do NOT belong in the town p-e-r-i-o-d.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Well, it's done. I am proud to say that the person in the OP is my son. He shipped out this week ... finally.

Just two weeks ago he came home from one of his rucks to say that he was stopped again. The officer chirped his siren and lights to get my kid to stop and chat with him. My son told me later that he had been stopped or checked out two other times since last year (in addition to the original stop in the OP). The time before this last one, he said the officer chirped his siren and lights, drove slowly by ... looked him over ... waved ... drove on. The officer on this very last stop asked him when he was leaving because they were still occasionally getting calls about him. I'm sure they will be relieved he finally shipped out. The nervous nellies in the neighborhood can finally simmer down.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Tell your son I said thanks for giving his service to our country! I'll pray for his safety. I have so much respect for these men that serve our great country.

You should be proud, you've raised an honorable young man!

:patriot:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Tell your son I said thanks for giving his service to our country! I'll pray for his safety. I have so much respect for these men that serve our great country.

You should be proud, you've raised an honorable young man!

:patriot:

Thanks.

I stood at the MEPS in Chicago and was in awe at ALL the young men and women. They seem so young. Sure, I realize some of them are there for college or because it's their only/best option to get out on their own but I didn't get that feeling from the bunch of kids I saw. Only a sense of duty. I was already emotional over my own kid but seeing all the kids saying goodbye and getting on that bus put a lump in my throat. Good kids ... every last one regardless of branch of service. There's still a glimmer of hope for this nation with kids like these.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm still hung up on the "patted down".
    They're responding to a man with a rifle call, what's he doing, keeping the rifle in his pocket?

Top Bottom