LEO Gets Pistol in Face during Stop (Video), thank God for malfunctions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raider600

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So why did the BG's gun fail?
    Was it the gun or his ammo or user error?
    What type of gun was it?
    At the end the LEO says the guy ran into a tree/pole. Did the LEO hit the guy thus causing the crash?
    What happen to the guy?
    Where was this? Did the BG have a permit/license (if needed in his state)
    "Illegal" gun? Stole? Bought it?
    Prior record? Stolen car?
    Drugs?

Thanks!

didnt you watch the video?
    dude got shot multiple times while driving away, and ran into a pole. cop didnt run him off the road
    the dudes dead im sure
    montana?
    looked like a revolver
    who cares if the gun was illegal
    does prior record matter?
    drugs? sounded drunk to me

Hamilton officer cleared in fatal shooting during January traffic stop

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    didnt you watch the video?
    dude got shot multiple times while driving away, and ran into a pole. cop didnt run him off the road
    the dudes dead im sure
    montana?
    looked like a revolver
    who cares if the gun was illegal
    does prior record matter?
    drugs? sounded drunk to me

Hamilton officer cleared in fatal shooting during January traffic stop

That you get shot multiple times (by any caliber) is NO indication that you will die. Yes I did see the video but it was not clear if the driver did die or not from what I saw.

I was asking about prior record to understand a bit more of why the driver thought that killing the LEO would "save" him from the DUI. Or was it perhaps that he had a warrant for his arrest already? Or had done time already and was NOT going back for any reason.

The same for the "illegal/legal gun question". If the driver was a felon (assuming here) then wondered if he figured I'm already in trouble and if I get busted with the gun I'm in more trouble so might as well take this LEO out before he takes me out.

Guess I'm just more curious as to the state of mind, what the driver's thoughts were, how those compare to others in his situation, etc.

Is there anything we can learn from this that we can use from a non-LEO perceptive. ie. Gun failure, effectiviness of shooting at the run away car, etc.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    We have covered this thread in detail a few times before, lots of detail in the other threads if someone wants to find them.

The police officer made several mistakes, this is a fact, all he can do is teach and help others learn from his mistakes.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It was a revolver the BG had. For some reason it was a spent casing that he tried to fire. The officer returned fire and struck him several times through the seat back. He died then crashed. The BG did get a round off but did not hit the officer. The officer made a few mistakes but overall did a fantastic job. Hit the BG in a moving vehicle, though the seat back. He died from gun shot wounds. Also, the officer was clear and calm on the radio...VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Not sure how many people could have done the same. Have a gun pointed at you point blank, take fire, shoot back, then get on the radio and sound calm and collected. Great job. The few minor mistakes are overwhelmingly shadowed by the positives. If the BG had a live round beneath the hammer, the officer would have likely been shot and killed. Reaction is ALWAYS slower than action. A bit of luck saved the officer's life.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    When I was very young, an ISP Trooper had brought his wife and kids over for dinner and a visit. I remember overhearing him tell Dad about another officer who had been killed with a shotgun blast at the side of a road as he approached a vehicle. Didn't catch the department or how well he knew him, but it left a huge impression on me.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Why would it matter, he could have put 14 rounds in the guy and only one was fatal. I could have been a 9mm or a .45, if it was a good shot it was a good shot, how many and what round means nothing. Where did "the" round hit is the important, I am guessing brain or spine...

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Why would it matter, he could have put 14 rounds in the guy and only one was fatal. I could have been a 9mm or a .45, if it was a good shot it was a good shot, how many and what round means nothing. Where did "the" round hit is the important, I am guessing brain or spine...

calm down dood! I'm just curious. Caliber and barrier penetration fascinates me :dunno:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    It was a .40 cal Glock. The LEO thought he had fired 6-8 rounds but in fact had fired 14, of which 6 hit the vehicle. One passed through a passenger seat and the driver seat striking the driver in the back, killing him.

Driver had a history of violence against LEO.

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I think it was the super ninja duck the cop did...or maybe the Angel hovering over him, all I know was his nerves were (no pun intended) shot for the rest of the shift!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    calm down dood! I'm just curious. Caliber and barrier penetration fascinates me :dunno:

I as well. From what someone else posted, a .40 Glock. It looked like the first one or two rounds completely obliterated the back window.

Did anyone else notice that after the glass was broken, the shot right after that, the guy in the seat appeared to slump (not duck) forward in the car? It looks like something hit him, he floored it, but ran afoul of a pole.

Granted adrenaline was going and accuracy astray, but it looked like he really did a number on the driver before he started driving away. If only 6 hit the car, I would imagine they were the first 6 fired, the rest looked pretty shakey and the car was already on it's way.

Plus 1 Techres for this video: A GRAND and GOOD example of how it doesn't matter how many rounds you have, get the first ones out first, quickly and accurately. :yesway:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I'd say the first and possibly the second round did not do anything but break the back glass. The ones after that were going for the damage. I probably would have emptied my pistol also. An extra round or two or three is just insurance you have hit your target. Your trained to keep shooting until the threat stops moving.

Had this happen to a friend about 20 years ago. He was holding a Rem870. The scum took it from him. pointed it at his chest, point blank range and squeezed the trigger. The gun did not fire. The officer then took it from him and took him to jail. They took the gun to the range the day and it fired, with the same shell in it. God was looking after him that day. The guy just got out of prison a few years ago for that event.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Thank God that wasn't and IMPD officer, we wouldn't hear then end of all the things he did wrong in public's eyes... including the power being out for several hours in a neighborhood and someone very important being late for work!

Top Bottom