Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Whether she stole or not she made the bad decision to put the car in drive and her foot on the pedal. One person decided the outcome and it wasn't the cop. Horrible outcome that was 100% avoidable.

I've been accused of stealing before and it's easy to prove you didn't and it takes less than a minute.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My life not being in danger, I would just get out of her way and file charges, and do a felony stop arrest. Screw the alcohol at this point.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Easy to arm chair quarterback this one. In reality I'm guessing the key points are that they had probable cause to detain her and that she tried to run one of them over. Another case where compliance would have ended the situation without tragedy. Unfortunately society is teaching people to fear police and resist/protest/etc... any time they don't "feel safe".

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    If we don’t recognize that mistakes are made then we don’t try to fix them. Driver should have froze when fight, flight, freeze instinct kicked in. Fear & panic will do that.

Cop should not have put himself in unnecessary jeopardy. Training deficiencies?

Expensive lessons to learn.

What if this is a pattern for this department? Could seem like baiting people?

IDK I was asking a specific question about procedures.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Not trying to paint with a broad brush. I think in that situation, a petty theft, pick her up and graduate her to a felony. Just my armchair video commentary.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This crazy woman tried to run down the police officer. She got what she had coming. But of course all the liberals are crying and blaming the police, instead of the criminal.
    You are correct. But what is the safest way to get out of danger when the car starts rolling? I guess the 2 tier approach works too. I can see doing everything possible to stop the threat. I just think stepping out of the way from a car about to take off is not a bad idea. So now there's no danger, and she's going to flee. And probably move to the Cayman islands.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You are correct. But what is the safest way to get out of danger when the car starts rolling? I guess the 2 tier approach works too. I can see doing everything possible to stop the threat. I just think stepping out of the way from a car about to take off is not a bad idea. So now there's no danger, and she's going to flee. And probably move to the Cayman islands.
    Sounds like a "duty to retreat"

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So, duty to retreat?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Ok, let us just say the officer stepped aside and she drove off. They may have a plate but what if the car is stolen? Do they give pursuit? What about the dangers of a high speed chase? What if she flies out of there, even though not being pursued, and causes a fatal accident? Would the same people crying they should have let her go be crying they should have tried harder to stop her? Wait and pick her up at home? Like they did at Ruby Ridge?

Sounds like a no win situation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, let us just say the officer stepped aside and she drove off. They may have a plate but what if the car is stolen? Do they give pursuit? What about the dangers of a high speed chase? What if she flies out of there, even though not being pursued, and causes a fatal accident? Would the same people crying they should have let her go be crying they should have tried harder to stop her? Wait and pick her up at home? Like they did at Ruby Ridge?

Of course it is. Then people whine the 'police won't do their jobs'. That's the way you want it, that's the way you get it. Case law even supports it. The government interest in detaining someone for theft is pretty low on the scale of things society cares about and is getting lower. INGO runs the gamut from hang thieves to mail them directions to the jail and a court date and if they don't show, that's cool. Society is moving more and more to the second.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Of course it is. Then people whine the 'police won't do their jobs'. That's the way you want it, that's the way you get it. Case law even supports it. The government interest in detaining someone for theft is pretty low on the scale of things society cares about and is getting lower. INGO runs the gamut from hang thieves to mail them directions to the jail and a court date and if they don't show, that's cool. Society is moving more and more to the second.

:(

I prefer "hang thieves". If you like taking things that aren't yours, you are of no use to society, and we'd all be better off with you not there.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Did anyone mention duty to retreat.

Yeah I thought of that too.
    I didn't think of giving them directions to the jail. They should put a map on the back of a business card. :):

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Oh d@m, she was driving right through him. Good shoot IMHO.
    That's a better perspective than the body camera.

The body cam footage had the snow plowing trimmed out.

Top Bottom