• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    You can even randomly run the VIN if you like. I used to run the plates of cars around me all the time at red lights. Sometimes you get a stolen hit, warrant hit, plates don't match the car, etc.

What exactly do you think the harm is? If you're in public view, your whereabouts and identity certainly aren't private.

I dont see a problem with this, is an LEO is driving around, and they dont have a call why not run plates? especially if its a suspicious looking vehicle?!?!?! so many people will have problems with this yet this is how they catch bad guys. Why not run plates? As said before, they could reveal stolen cars, warrants, all kinds of bad stuff. They could be preventing a serious crime by simply typing in a number into a computer.........since the person is OUT IN PUBLIC. not sure what the issue is here

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    That is specifically mentioned in the IC code as grounds to impound a vehicle until the VIN can be verified. Like an altered s/n on a firearm, its illegal in and of itself.

So, if I have a bunch of papers on my dash, and they happen to slide down to the little box and happen to cover the VIN, my car could get impounded? Seriously?

Can you please provide the relevant IC that justifies this?

More out of curiosity than anything else.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    It never ceases to amaze me. You see on the news "routine traffic stop nets record drug bust" or a wanted murderer. How do you think that happens. One of the tools is a plate check. You don't like it… easy don't drive on the road. Problem solved. I used to love…."why aren't you catching the real criminals"…….. well when I wasn't going run to run to run or taking my 15th report of the shift that exactly how I did it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really. You're going to compare the jews being murdered to running a plate. Thats pretty sad

Of course, because being upset about a plate being ran just sounds ridiculous if you don't compare it to mass murder.

The INGO faithful continuing the rebellion against the imaginary dictatorship one post at a time. You'd think we live in North Korea the way some of these people carry on. Oh, except they are allowed to continue and don't disappear...imaginary dictatorships are more forgiving in that regard.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm never walking outside of my house without a mask on.

Guy-Fawkes-mask.jpg

???

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I dont see a problem with this, is an LEO is driving around, and they dont have a call why not run plates? especially if its a suspicious looking vehicle?!?!?! so many people will have problems with this yet this is how they catch bad guys. Why not run plates? As said before, they could reveal stolen cars, warrants, all kinds of bad stuff. They could be preventing a serious crime by simply typing in a number into a computer.........since the person is OUT IN PUBLIC. not sure what the issue is here

What makes a vehicle "suspicious"?

I heard a call a lot of years ago, where an officer was checking out some "suspicious paint" on the road. I'm still not sure what, other than it's location, made the paint suspicious, and a car, on the road, being driven, is where it's expected to be, so I don't see suspiciousness there, either.

I'm not being snarky here, I'm really curious: What makes it "suspicious"? Of what is it suspected of doing?

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The INGO faithful continuing the rebellion against the imaginary dictatorship one post at a time. You'd think we live in North Korea the way some of these people carry on. Oh, except they are allowed to continue and don't disappear...imaginary dictatorships are more forgiving in that regard.

Beh, it's the whole, "you can't make me go to bed, Mommy!" thing that some never get over. No big deal.

Maybe we should have the police close their eyes until they get a call for help?:D

You have no right to look at me.

Geez, it's just like last night at the bar.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm not being snarky here, I'm really curious: What makes it "suspicious"? Of what is it suspected of doing?

Reasonable suspicion comes from the totality of the circumstances of what the officer can see and articulate: committing infractions or ordinance violations, cloud of reefer smoke, women screaming "help me!" out the window, car parked on sidewalk, car driven into a sandwhich joint without a drive through, behind liquor store in July with four guys wearing ski masks and shotguns, inter alia.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I've caught ISP cars with the license plate reading assault cameras on the trunk lid running up and down my Terre Haute street on a number of occassions. What's the compelling state interest in my private car parked curbside in front of my own house?

Free property. and an easy notch on their belt.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I love these I-know-how-to-be-a-cop-better-than-the-cops-do threads. They rank right up there with the IANAL-but-I'll-give-you-legal-advice-anyway threads.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Of course, because being upset about a plate being ran just sounds ridiculous if you don't compare it to mass murder.

In the Name of protecting the public

Your face can be scanned find out information about you.....
    Your plates can be scanned find out information about you......
    Your internet you use can be scanned out to find information about you......
    Your cell phone can be scanned to find out information about you.... ( wait the supreme court stopped some of that not to long ago now it called get a warrant if you want to search my phone)
    so what's next papers please wait ........
    Random check points to check paper and ID's .......(no need for paper we have plate scanner and face scanner for that:dunno:)
    BTW ........ The Patriot acts can make people disappear with out due process...just saying

security for the price of giving a little freedom is always a bad thing ...so what future technologies will be used in the name of security should make you wonder .
    You have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear is been said by many times in our world history

Last edited:
    Top Bottom