• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Les Baer makes great guns. Period. I doubt you will regret buying a Baer, no matter what you intend to do with it. I've heard of very few Baer owners who were dissatisfied.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Thinking about buying a new 1911. Would like to get your thoughts.

I ended up buying an Ed Brown when I was going through the same thing you are now. i never regretted it and I am a presision rifle guy--that was a bunch of money I could have sunk into a very nice rifle.

No regrets here.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Hi there and welcome to INGO! I wrote the bellow a year ago to someone also considering a Baer. Bottom line it is my go to sidearm and has been for 15 years! Other than springs it has needed ZERO work, runs like a scalded cat, action has if anything gotten better and still is FAR more mechanically accurate than I will ever be. There are several great 1911's available in the high end semi-custom area, Wilson, Brown, NH, and I would include the DW Valors (beautifully fit guns). I have been lucky enough to shoot examples of each and they all have a slighly different characters, all are what a great 1911 should be and would serve you well.

"Well I will weigh in as a Baer owner, but I think I am still objective. You are obviously an experienced shooter so sure you have done some research. Baer service is very good in my experience, have actually spoke with the man himself when I called. What Baer does not like is ANYONE messing with his work (changing in non Baer parts, other smiths etc void lifetime accuracy and reliability warranty), and in this sense some have found him stubborn. I guess If you have his well earned reputation that is your perogative. The guns are tight but even with the 4.25 slide my C7 has proven stone ax reliable, with everything I have run through it. I have shot it quite a bit in the past in competition for the reasons your friends do, and the gun is FAR more capable than I am, stupid accurate if I do my part even as a Commander length gun. The 3" at 50yd guarantee is no BS. Some of the Commanche length guns will not slingshot, an issue brought up by many. Basically Baer builds 4.25s on 5 in frames. Mine did slingshot from round one, so no issue with that here (It is a pretty early build not sure if that is why). Honest gripes about the gun are very few and I am picky, blueing is pretty but a bit thin, and many do not like the new baer sights. I had mine built with the old Baer/MMC adjustables and they are a VERY strong adjustable, sadly no longer available to my knowledge. Botttom line is I without reservation believe in Baers, and the price point is pretty damn good for what you get."

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have a Baer SRP with the 1.5" package and it is as solid a gun as you would expect. Absolutely no regrets. best of luck in your search and safe shooting! :patriot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I own several copies of the Les Baer TRS. Outstanding weapon but I think you'll be happy with any Baer weapon.

My only criticism of the TRS is the overtravel screw. What that thing is doing in a TRS I have no earthly idea.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    I would love to have the cashflow for one of those. Did any of you get to check out this past months American Handgunner and the $6,590 custom model on the cover? Bea-utiful.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Once you are to that standard of weapon, It reallystarts to be personal preference, I own a DW CBOB and love it. Others love their EB and others their Baer. Take a look at all of them and pick the one that speaks to you. I am eyeing a Boss as my next .45 1911 butit is behind a few other needs

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Les Baer, Night Force......you'll never regret buying one. Unfortunatley its the higher end of most peoples budget.
    Thats one of many reasons Kimbers are so popular.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    i also own a Baer. Premier ll. Almost got divored when she found the receipt for the money order when I purchased it!! Awesome gun, still don't regret it...

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Once you are to that standard of weapon, It reallystarts to be personal preference, I own a DW CBOB and love it. Others love their EB and others their Baer. Take a look at all of them and pick the one that speaks to you. I am eyeing a Boss as my next .45 1911 butit is behind a few other needs

I agree with him.......there are alot of options when you get to that kind of money....dan Wesson, Springfield pro, smith and Wesson performance center, nighthawks, ed browns, and Wilson combat can be found used for the prices of the lowest baers as well. I would figure out what you want it for and how much you want to shoot it and realistically assess your wants and needs....ie steel frame or aluminum, commander vs gov length, and other features you desire. I don't think baer offers everything other makers do I.e. bobtail but I'm not sure.

Terry Barker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for all the input....wanting a full sized, steel frame. Will use for range and carry. Have NH, Brown, Wilson wanting to try something else. Anyone shoot a monolith framed? Don't mind the additional weight....gives me comfort. Haha

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Monoliths are GREAT to shoot but might be heavy for some as a CCW. Holsters can be harder to find also. But for precision built 1911s it doesn't get much better than Les Baer. He used to run Springfield Armory's custom shop. He also builds small block Ford engines that will pull the fillings from your teeth. He collects vintage Mustang muscle cars. He knows metal. On most Baers the first time you try to pull the slide open you'll think the safety lock is on because it won't move. They're tight. After it wears in it will put an entire mag through a one inch hole. For a long time.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I love these guns even though I don't have one but 6 MOA doesn't seem too great, even for a pistol. Won't a stock Glock or Sig do the same thing? Or am I way off, here?

A great question that sent me looking for answers! Let me qualify my answer by stating up front I am by NO MEANS an Expert Bullseye shooter and hopefully some who are will lend their knowledge here.

First of all most any quality handgun is FAR more mechanically accurate than we are as a shooter. Very few shooters can wring all the accuracy out of their side arm, Box stock Glock or Jim Clark tuned bullseye 1911. This is why ergonomics, trigger, sight radius all are important to us non world class bullseye shooters. These factors help us get CLOSER to the mechanical accuracy of our guns. So how good is a GREAT shooter at 50yds?

"50 yard 10 ring measures 3.36 inches.

50 X-ring measures 1.7 inches.

The National Record for the 20 shot Slowfire Match at 50 yds. is 200-11X, fired by Bonnie Harmon in 1982."

That equates to 20 out of 20 in a 3.36 centered group with 11 in a 1.7 group at 50. So a "stock" Baer will shoot a 200 with theoretical unknow number of X's and is Gauranteed to do so as long as you own it! With a 1.5" package it will mechanically shoot 20/20 x's. Baer only offers this on his Government length 45's in carbon steel, so my lowly commander / comanche is not up to par. I know Wilson offers similar warranty (I think 1" at 25). I am sure others can match this standard, NH, Brown etc. I also would bet an x-5 226 and certainly a P-210 would be up to this standard, though I do not know if they guarantee it?

OK so how about a box stock Sig, M&P, Grock etc.

Great article in G&A Handguns on this subject, with some real world tests by someone who clearly can SHOOT!

The Long Shot

Cutting to the chase of the above article, OFFHAND groups shotting very Average ammo:

MODEL LOAD VELOCITY ACCURACY (ins.) 25 yds. 50 yds. 100 yds.
    Glock 23 Wolf 180-gr. FMJ 876 3, 4.8, 10.3
    Walther P99 Wolf 180-gr. FMJ 890 2.6, 3.3, 8.7
    Les Baer ProwlerWolf 230-gr. FMJ 783 1.2, 2.6, 7.1

hglong_021105d.jpg

So it looks like Les Knows what he is doing and that the old 1911 still wins matches for a reason. For me the "6 MOA" for life knowledge is worth it. It means it is NEVER the guns fault. Now if I could only shoot 1/2 as accurate as my Baer I would be a happy man!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom