• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    As with anything just repetition. I have attempted this and have no patience for it. I got it done and it looked pretty good but not ever doing it again.

We'll see. I have a checkering file on order as of yesterday!
    And yes, more factory tour videos of different companies would be interesting.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Saw this on another forum and thought someone here might find it interesting.

[video=youtube;xQjqLdTmaro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjqLdTmaro[/video]

Good video. I get the American Rifleman on the Outdoor Channel on Dish. It's often a really good show.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As with anything just repetition. I have attempted this and have no patience for it. I got it done and it looked pretty good but not ever doing it again.

True, the time it would take you to do something on a car engine would be vastly quicker than for me lol. I'd pay money though to see someone completely checker a frame in 30 lpi in 45 minutes as he claims.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm all for hand work. But I also can embrace technology when it has the ability to improve the process, function or aesthetics of the item.

Mass production has it's place. But using technology to reduce cycle time is not something I'm interested in when I am looking at custom and/or bespoke work. I want to know that the item has been scrutinized to it's very core to be sure it is right. The last thing I want is to pay big money for something that performs like bargain goods.

If I was going to buy one of these, and they told me that they were going to use a mill to do the front strap checkering instead of by hand, it wouldn't bother me in the least as long as it was done as well as it was done manually.

Now when it comes to wood stocks, I'd rather see hand checkering vs machine. I think in wood it gives it a more "craftsman" look to the wood vs a perfectly cut machine checkering job.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm all for hand work. But I also can embrace technology when it has the ability to improve the process, function or aesthetics of the item.

Mass production has it's place. But using technology to reduce cycle time is not something I'm interested in when I am looking at custom and/or bespoke work. I want to know that the item has been scrutinized to it's very core to be sure it is right. The last thing I want is to pay big money for something that performs like bargain goods.

If I was going to buy one of these, and they told me that they were going to use a mill to do the front strap checkering instead of by hand, it wouldn't bother me in the least as long as it was done as well as it was done manually.

Now when it comes to wood stocks, I'd rather see hand checkering vs machine. I think in wood it gives it a more "craftsman" look to the wood vs a perfectly cut machine checkering job.

I agree, when you're getting a gun at a Baer price point who really cares if it's machine checkered or hand cut, the guys who buy >5K custom 1911's think it's a big deal but I prefer the machine checkered. A lot of the biggest names in 1911's (and Colt) send their guns to Pete Single who does it by machine but also offer it by hand if you want to pay a ridiculous premium. That person who supposedly does it for Baer remarked that after some cortisone shots its not so bad, if you're needing cortisone shots to continue working i'd be like it's about time to add a few machining step to the CNC!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree, when you're getting a gun at a Baer price point who really cares if it's machine checkered or hand cut, the guys who buy >5K custom 1911's think it's a big deal but I prefer the machine checkered. A lot of the biggest names in 1911's (and Colt) send their guns to Pete Single who does it by machine but also offer it by hand if you want to pay a ridiculous premium. That person who supposedly does it for Baer remarked that after some cortisone shots its not so bad, if you're needing cortisone shots to continue working i'd be like it's about time to add a few machining step to the CNC!

I own more than several Les Baers. I could care less about machine or hand checkering. I want the piece to run, like a sewing machine.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have not heard of them before but they do seem to have good prices. I’m less than a month out from my 56th birthday too. 56 is a milestone year that needs to be celebrated some how, right?
    That is a big one deserving of treating yourself.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Kind of sad that he doesn't want to improve his processes. But that is a perfect example of American manufacturing...we have always done it this way and always will. This is a prime example of why manufacturing in America is dead!

People have often been fooled by the assumption that more technology always results in either maintaining or improving quality. My experience from a career in American manufacturing is that managers are quick to reach for the newest bright and shiny thing but slow , or just flat unwilling, to insist on and develop excellent human performance.

In shooting terms, sometimes it ain't the arrow it is the Indian.

Top Bottom