Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown help me decide...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Go to the Indiana Gun Club they have many Wilson, Baers, Browns and Nighthawks available to fongkenso you can decide yourself. Personally at the Baer price point I prefer the Dan Wesson guns but that is preference. Wilson Combat is my favorite at the $3000+ range.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Go to the Indiana Gun Club they have many Wilson, Baers, Browns and Nighthawks available to fongkenso you can decide yourself. Personally at the Baer price point I prefer the Dan Wesson guns but that is preference. Wilson Combat is my favorite at the $3000+ range.

Im planning on going there tomorrow actually so i can set a couple side by side and play with them a bit.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I own a Baer Custom carry, it's a full size pistol, it's my most accurate 45 and can hit anything I aimed at. I can keep my shots in 2" at 25 yards. Granted, it doesn't come in a fancy box, just a plain cardboard box. But it is a very fine pistol. Best for the money and out of the box accuracy .

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Last time I was in Indiana Gun Club, they didn't have many Baers. They have a ton of Wilsons & Ed Browns...

Check the store hours... They are closed Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

I love my Baer...
    6-10-15 010.jpg

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    You can do yourself a favor and just upgrade to a Glock. 1911's are old technology and are just plain unreliable.

But for real, I'd get a Wilson Combat if it was my money.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Take a look at my signature and you can see the many I have owned. In all honesty it really depends on your price range. I am really a huge fan of the Nighthawk Marvel pistol right now... You will not find one under 3K... I think the cheapest used one I have seen is $3400. I am partial to NH pistols though.

Crafter is putting out a nice 1911 right now as well. The NN or Frag would be on my short list of "next to own"... Take a look at those.

Of the three you mentioned, skip the Baer... its a fine 1911 and yeah, its accurate, but if you do not pay for the 1.5" guarantee accuracy wise its no real difference than the others mentioned. The refinement is just not there though. Finish is not as nice, blending is not as nice, and over all fitting is not as nice. They are great for the money so dont take that as me bad mouthing them.

Brown... Nice pistols, but if you are not buying a kobra carrry just move on to a Wilson.

Speaking of Wilson... I have a new in bag all black CQB Elite that I have shot maybe 5 total rounds out of... Let me know if you have any interest and I can PM you some details... I just dont shoot it (I have two CQB Elites) and the all black one just sits in the safe;)

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Take a look at my signature and you can see the many I have owned. In all honesty it really depends on your price range. I am really a huge fan of the Nighthawk Marvel pistol right now... You will not find one under 3K... I think the cheapest used on I have seen is $3400. I am partial to NH pistols though.

Cragter is putting out a nice 1911 right now as well. The NN or Frag would be on my short list of "next to own"... Take a look at those.

Of the three you mentioned, skip the Baer... its a fine 1911 and yeah, its accurate, but if you do not pay for the 1.5" guarantee accuracy wise its no real difference than the others mentioned. The refinement is just not there though. Finish is not as nice, blending is not as nice, and over all fitting is not as nice. They are great for the money so dont take that as me bad mouthing them.

Brown... Nice pistols, but if you are not buying a kobra carrry just move on to a Wilson.

Speaking of Wilson... I have a new in bag all black CQB Elite that I have shot maybe 5 total rounds out of... Let me know if you have any interest and I can PM you some details... I just dont shoot it (I have two CQB Elites) and the all black one just sits in the safe;)
    I'm interested if he isn't! But in response to your post, I had a Kobra, and didn't find it to be all that. I am still firmly in the CQB camp, and I neck er bought the Elite, just the plain CQB.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    OP - I think it depends on who you are. Anything I get will either show signs of use and abuse or else get sold because I am not using and abusing it, so for me Baer was an easy choice rather than spend another 1000 or so on cosmetics which I do not care about.
    Service wise, I had a question once (forget what it was), so I called LB and they answered it, I also had the adjustable rear sight come apart so I sent the slide to lb and they replaced it free and in a reasonable amount of time. No worries.

That said. If you appreciate the cosmetics I don't think you could go wrong with a Wilson (no experience with your 3rd option), and my buddy that shoots one refers to it as "My Wilson" so you could do all that name dropper stuff :) .

What ever you do I would call 1911Heaven before committing the cash.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I had a Kobra, and didn't find it to be all that.

i was more referring to the 4.25 commander bobbed frame for carry purpose... Functional and elegant. I didn't spell that out, but more along the lines of what I should have said.

It was also one of my first higher end 1911's I owned and the that pistol that got me into moving to the semi-custom 1911's. So it holds a place in my heart...

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Last time I was in Indiana Gun Club, they didn't have many Baers. They have a ton of Wilsons & Ed Browns...

Check the store hours... They are closed Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

I love my Baer...
    View attachment 44644

Last time I was there they had three, they don't keep many because they do not sell well when compared to the others. And if OP wants a Kobra Carry I strongly suggest looking at a Dan Wesson VBOB

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Take a look at my signature and you can see the many I have owned. In all honesty it really depends on your price range. I am really a huge fan of the Nighthawk Marvel pistol right now... You will not find one under 3K... I think the cheapest used on I have seen is $3400. I am partial to NH pistols though.

Cragter is putting out a nice 1911 right now as well. The NN or Frag would be on my short list of "next to own"... Take a look at those.

Went to Indiana Gun Club today and could not believe how many Wilsons and Ed Browns they had probably 25 of each and 2 Les Baers
    handled everything side by side and think I'm going the Wilson route Baer with a really close second. They said They sell Wilsons about 20:1 over the
    other semi customs

Cundiff5535 would love some details on your cqb elite also

Theslab1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Lafayette
    Wilson QCB fit & finish is of very high quality. Smooth operation. Great shooters.They just feel the most complete to me. Check them out at Indiana Club Club and compare to others. Service is excellent as well. Excellent resale/ good demand. You won't be disappointed.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    My fav are the WC's, however if I found one of any of them used for a savings I'd jump on it.

....I guess my point is that you really can't go wrong with any of the brands that you have listed.

Top Bottom