Lesbian's brutal gang rape investigated in Calif.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    By LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer Lisa Leff, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 36 mins ago
    SAN FRANCISCO – A woman in the San Francisco Bay area was jumped by four men, taunted for being a lesbian, repeatedly raped and left naked outside an abandoned apartment building, authorities said Monday.
    Detectives say the 28-year-old victim was attacked Dec. 13 after she got out of her car, which bore a rainbow gay pride sticker. The men, who ranged from their late teens to their 30s, made comments indicating they knew her sexual orientation, said Richmond police Lt. Mark Gagan.
    "It just pushes it beyond fathomable," he said. "The level of trauma — physical and emotional — this victim has suffered is extreme."
    Authorities are characterizing the attack as a hate crime but declined to reveal why they think the woman was singled out because of her sexual orientation. Gagan would say only that the victim lived openly with a female partner and had a rainbow flag sticker on her car.
    The 45-minute attack began when one of the men approached the woman as she crossed the street, struck her with a blunt object, ordered her to disrobe and sexually assaulted her with the help of the other men.
    When the group saw another person approaching, they forced the victim back into her car and took her to a burned-out apartment building, where she was raped again inside and outside the vehicle. The assailants took her wallet and drove off in her car. Officers found the car abandoned two days later.
    The woman sought help from a nearby resident, and she was examined at a hospital. Although the victim said she did not know her attackers, detectives hope someone in the community knows them. One of the men went by the nickname "Blue" and another was called "Pato," according to authorities.
    Richmond police are offering a $10,000 award for information leading to the arrest of the attackers.
    Gay rights advocates note that hate crimes based on sexual orientation have increased nationwide as of late. There were 1,415 such crimes in 2006 and 1,460 in 2007, both times making up about 16 percent of the total, according to the FBI.
    Avy Skolnik, a coordinator with the New York-based National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, noted that gay, lesbian and transgender crime victims may be more reluctant than heterosexual victims to contact police.
    "Assailants target LGBT people of all gender identities with sexual assault," he said. "Such targeting is one of the most cruel, dehumanizing and violent forms of hate violence that our communities experience."
    Skolnik said the group plans to analyze hate crime data to see whether fluctuations may be related to the gay marriage bans that appeared on ballots this year in California, Arizona and Florida.
    "Anytime there is an anti-LGBT initiative, we tend to see spikes both in the numbers and the severity of attacks," he said. "People feel this extra entitlement to act out their prejudice."

I'm sick of this "Hate Crime" label. If the punishment for rape is not severe enough than raise it.
    Looks to me like these bad guys were looking for trouble and any weak woman regardless of sexual orientation would have suffered the same fate.
    Anytime there is an anti-LGBT initiative we tend to see spikes both in the numbers and the severity of attacks,"
    So when there are Pro LGBT initiatives things are good?
    What is also lacking is, were the number of crimes committed over all, during the same time period increased as well?
    Maybe there are more sexual orientation hate crimes because they define more crimes this way, then they did before.

Last edited:

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Hate crimes are just the government proscribing how you should think as well as act. Human life is just as valuable regardless of race, religion, or sexual preference. What is punished is the evil act plus the evil mental state to do the evil act. Whether or not the evil mind mental state was brought on by hate, rage, or stupidity it shouldn't matter.

Imagine a day when something you think is morally wrong it becomes a hate crime to publicly denounce it. Furthermore, hate crimes devalue non-protected groups because they state that those crimes based on hate are more dangerous than those based on other factors. All of this is simply a way for the government to proscribe how a person should think.

The point is whether the crime was motivated by hate, it was whether the punishment for rape is appropriately tough. Hate crimes should be abolished. It just institutionalized bigotry and racism. If you still think hate crimes are ok, just imagine something you feel strongly about and then imagine it's made criminal to publicly speak out against it. This is where many hate laws are heading for those organizations that disagree with homosexuality. I don't think the government should be proscribing what two consenting adults do, but the government sure as hell shouldn't make it a crime for a local church to argue against it.

In the end, it is very sad this woman was raped regardless of her sexual orientation.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Irregardless, she would have at least stood half a chance had she been armed. Oh wait, this was in San Francisco, the city that tried to ban all guns within the city by having a referrendum with I believe passed, but was struck down by the courts. And here I thought everthing was all flowers in the land of political correctness.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Hate crimes are just the government proscribing how you should think as well as act. Human life is just as valuable regardless of race, religion, or sexual preference. What is punished is the evil act plus the evil mental state to do the evil act. Whether or not the evil mind mental state was brought on by hate, rage, or stupidity it shouldn't matter.

Imagine a day when something you think is morally wrong it becomes a hate crime to publicly denounce it. Furthermore, hate crimes devalue non-protected groups because they state that those crimes based on hate are more dangerous than those based on other factors. All of this is simply a way for the government to proscribe how a person should think.

The point is whether the crime was motivated by hate, it was whether the punishment for rape is appropriately tough. Hate crimes should be abolished. It just institutionalized bigotry and racism. If you still think hate crimes are ok, just imagine something you feel strongly about and then imagine it's made criminal to publicly speak out against it. This is where many hate laws are heading for those organizations that disagree with homosexuality. I don't think the government should be proscribing what two consenting adults do, but the government sure as hell shouldn't make it a crime for a local church to argue against it.

In the end, it is very sad this woman was raped regardless of her sexual orientation.

:+1:repped

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I agree with Blood. Rape is rape. It was once a capital crime and it still should be. Ironically it is the same liberal douche bags that want hate crime legislation that pushed to reduce the penalties for rape and eliminate the death penalty in general.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    First, let me say that my prayers go out to this woman and to her family and friends. I hope they find the grace and strength to make it through this horrific event and come out as well as can be on the other end.

Second, I hope they find the thugs and bring them to full justice, or barring that, God wipes them from the earth in some painful fashion.

Third, there are active Pink Pistol shooting groups in her state IIRC and hopefully she will be able to get some training and support towards being able to better defend herself in the future even though carry is an impossibility there.

Fourth, this is a case example of a hate crime as she was picked for the crime explicitly per the rapists own words. NOW, if you want to argue increases of crime penalties overall vs. just for specific crimes - that is fine with me. Personally, I am for whatever it takes to punish as hard as we should be. I do not get bent out of shape about hate crimes as a multiplier of punishment - I am generally glad to add on by all means necessary. I am not so cool on hate speech laws, etc.

But as we argue here, let's not lose sight of how horrific this crime was and not minimize this event because we want to argue about politics and law.

:twocents:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    "Assailants target LGBT people of all gender identities with sexual assault," he said. "Such targeting is one of the most cruel, dehumanizing and violent forms of hate violence that our communities experience."
    Is this because they are receiving sexual assault from the opposite sex and against their sexual preference? :dunno:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Every crime is despicable. Why is it more despicable if she's a lesbian rather than a little girl or old woman? I'm for punishing crime, not using the criminal code in order to differentiate special groups. The introduction of the "hate" label is what obscures the horror of the crime, now she's a group representative rather than a human crime victim.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    But as we argue here, let's not lose sight of how horrific this crime was and not minimize this event because we want to argue about politics and law.

:twocents:

No one should suffer the humiliation of rape.
    The punishment should apply to the crime and not the supposed reason for the crime.
    A lesbian has no reason to have special protections under the law then any other woman.
    Rape is a violent crime and needs to be dealt with based on the act itself.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The punishment should apply to the crime and not the supposed reason for the crime.
    A lesbian has no reason to have special protections under the law then any other woman.

Very well put, the argument can be that the lesbian was targeted because of her sexual orientation, that is why it should be a hate crime.
    But a heterosexual woman that was assaulted was targeted just because she was an opportunity to be a victim.
    To believe that because both were assaulted in the same manner, but the lesbian was targeted because she was an opportunity and a lesbian should compound the crime is senseless and not fair and equal justice. I would think that the ACLU would be completely opposed to any form of hate crime laws.

34oSc

"any weak woman regardless of sexual orientation would have suffered the same fate."

I'm way confused by what you are saying in THAT statement.
    BTW, "hate crimes" refers to "motive"...ie "I shot him because he was Queer,or Black,or a Jew, or made ignorant remarks" See that's your "hate crime".

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

Every crime is despicable. Why is it more despicable if she's a lesbian rather than a little girl or old woman? I'm for punishing crime, not using the criminal code in order to differentiate special groups. The introduction of the "hate" label is what obscures the horror of the crime, now she's a group representative rather than a human crime victim.

Exactly Correct :patriot:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm sick of this "Hate Crime" label. If the punishment for rape is not severe enough than raise it.
    Looks to me like these bad guys were looking for trouble and any weak woman regardless of sexual orientation would have suffered the same fate.

Actually, I'd like to know what you mean by weak woman also. Didn't I read there were 4 of them? I don't consider myself a weak woman. I have a black belt in karate. I've won International sparring championships and state championships. There were 4 of them and even if I had a gun on me, who knows. I still may have suffered the same fate. I would like to think that I was aware of my surroundings and that I wouldn't have even let any guy get close to me let a lone 4 of them. But you never know...

I don't think you meant weak woman though... maybe you meant someone now aware of her surroundings...

:D

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Motive is not an element of a crime. At most a crime requires two elements, the evil mind and the evil action. Sometimes only the evil action is required. Motive is evidence of the evil mind and only that.

BTW, "hate crimes" refers to "motive"...ie "I shot him because he was Queer,or Black,or a Jew, or made ignorant remarks" See that's your "hate crime".

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Then why don't we have "Jealousy Crimes" and "Greed Crimes" with tougher sentences?

Crime is crime, and it should be punished.

From the article it does appear that they targeted her specifically for her sexual orientation. But what about the rapist that targets a woman specifically because she has large breasts?

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Still... it all boils down to the crime that was committed was horrible and to label it a hate crime is over the edge. Just call it what it is ... RAPE.
    I am one of the group that believes that "hate crimes" are a feel good legislation that will one day soon bite us. I wonder if the term "hate crime" goes both ways.
    Maybe acts against gay or lesbian people are hate crimes but what about crimes commited by gays or lesbians against heterosexuals? Will the acts like trowing rocks at people having a peacable assembly for heterosexuals then be labeled as assault? or a hate crime?
    Recently in my town there was a noose left at the local college campus and the local black community was hysterical over it! It prompted some talk about enacting some more "hate crime" legislation in the state of Indiana. OK so whatever now it is a "crime" for me to use racial slurs toward the black community. (which I never do) But along this same argument is it also a "crime" for the minorities to use racial slurs to others? Like calling me a honkey, or whitey?

Just thinkin out loud here.

Top Bottom