• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So Indiana's murder rate is about 5/100k per year. That's alot less than either UK or Aus, according to the graph on the first page.

Less is better in this right?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you pull up the newspaper from Sydney, you'll still see lots of firearms-related crimes, including a LEO being shot not long ago.

You may also bring up the fact that there have been mass killings there involving other methods - an intentionally set fire at a hostel that killed 15 or so, IIRC..

Yeah, when I was in Sydney there was a 15 year old that shot up a police station (nobody hurt) with a fully automatic weapon of some type. The coverage was really weird and the firearm was called like 6 different things but from poor video, you could tell it was full auto.

Around 22 million people and over 3 million guns (legal). Violent crime with bladed weapons have gone up a bunch since they put the gun restrictions in place. If you go to certain train stations in Sydney there is a good bet you're at least going to be harassed by someone wielding a knife. While I was there, there were at least 5 machete attacks at train stations and several knife gang fights reported on the news.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I believe Scotland and Indiana have similar total populations, yet I think I read that Scotland has fewer (legally owned) handguns and semiauto rifles than most counties in Indiana have class-III firearms.

Scotland's murder rate is way higher, of course...

David Kopel's "Samauri, Mountie, and Cowboy" book is a good resource (not sure I spelled the sword-word right)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe Scotland and Indiana have similar total populations, yet I think I read that Scotland has fewer (legally owned) handguns and semiauto rifles than most counties in Indiana have class-III firearms.

Scotland's murder rate is way higher, of course...
    That is interesting, too, because sociologically speaking, I think part of the argument is that a more homogenous society has a lower violent crime rate. This allows them to "control" for things and artificially inflate certain statistics.

Yet, I think Scotland's society is probably alot more homogenous than Indiana's! :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    T.Lex makes a good point, and I'd like to expand it a bit.

What so many folks, especially the anti-freedom folks, fail to realize is that there is SO much more to a violence statistic than simply access to weapons (of any kind). There are social influences, economic influences, environment influences, drugs and alcohol, genetic and mental predispositions, cultural pressures, and even the weather. Saying that we can address a very, very tiny tangential issue (guns) and suddenly curb all violence is horse****, and even the anti-freedom folks know it.

In all cases, gun control legislation has exactly the opposite effect that the PUBLIC expects (reduced violence) and exactly the effect that the government wants (more control and a more scared and pliable public).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just point out the decline in our crime rate after the assault weapons ban ended.

Careful... the decline STARTED when the AWB was put in place, and then CONTINUED after it was lifted. Personally, I don't believe there is a correlation.

I would argue that the crime rate drop is more closely linked to the increase in States recognizing our right to carry firearms.

Watch this animation, and compare to the violence timeline. Notice anything?

righttocarry.gif

ldah6rdp6ukvngoyqi1fcg.gif

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Everyone always wants to ignore the elephant in the room. The following are cold hard facts from the FBI's uniform crime report. This is always ignored and overlooked. There are 311 million people in the United States. 10,880 murders were committed in the US in 2010. This gives the US a murder rate of 3.49 murders per 100,000 people. This would put us pretty far down the list with Argentina, Cambodia, and India.

However, if you look into the statistics you will find a very interesting anomaly. 53% of all murders are committed by Blacks. This is statistically significant in determining why the murder rate is so high. If Blacks represent 13.1% of the population and committed 5770 murders their murder rate would be 14.13 per 100,000. If compared to other countries this would compare them with the likes of Zimbabwe and Botswana.

If all non-black and non-black murders where looked at separately you would have 5,100 murders for 270 million people or 1.88 per 100,000. While not on the level with most Western European countries it is a vast improvement for a country with 300 million guns.

Please keep in mind guns do not relate to just murder. Violent crime plays a role. When we compare these statistics the US has about 1/2 to 1/5 of the crime of our Western European counterparts. I would say that guns make this low number possible.

Anyone interested in a comparison in "Murders per gun by country"?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you want to REALLY reach for odd-ball correlations:

High temperatures cause violent crime and implications for climate change, also some suggestions about how to better summarize these claims « Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science
    Ranson_crime.jpg

So, warmer State or Countries may naturally have higher crime rates.

But, to the previous poster's comments.... I am more inclined to look at poverty, economic class, and income disparity as a correlation to violent crimes:
    Inequality Rising in Rural and Urban America | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural
    violentcrime_0.jpg

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    I think most of the lack of guns in gun-less places is because they didn't keep their guns after wars. Most of America's "gun culture" started when people kept the guns they were given in the Civil War.

Top Bottom