• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've got an XD9SC but I've been increasingly annoyed with its top heavy profile

What guns are a similar profile but less top heavy?

I've been thinking more and more of trading it in for a .45, possibly PT145 or Kahr MK/PM45 but it really doesn't matter.

I don't care for the glocks, the grip angle isn't a natural pointer for me so without sufficient practice I don't feel I could fire off accurate shots in a high stress situation of draw and fire.

The only real requirements I have are 9mm or greater, similar profile to the XD or slimmer (it's a bit chunky) and it can't weigh any more than my XD either. Round capacity isnt important, my EDC has been decreasing in round count since I started carrying. Went from 16rds .40 to 17 rds 9mm to 11rds 9mm to 7rds .380 to 5rds .38sp as my EDC now. So high round count has become less and less a consideration and comfort and concealability have reached the top of the list

Any suggestions? It also has to be within a similar price range of what I can get for/trade my xd9sc.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    this has long been my only real complaint about XD's and why i prefer glocks over them.... might i suggest handling a glock?

not meant to be an xd bash, just my real and honest opinion

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    IGW: I have had Glocks, like I said I don't think a Glock would be my best choice for SD because I don't naturally point with it. I also don't have the means to train enough to relearn my 'natural aim'. The local range is $10/visit and the free range is an hour away and only open during hours that I can't go there.

If I had a backyard shooting range where I could practice enough to relearn my grip, I probably would go Glock compact. I had a compact and a fullsize, I've also shot a subcompact. With all of them I thought they were great to shoot. I'd say I shoot better in target practice with the Glocks but I have to consciously adjust my aim or I'm pointing 15 degrees skyward. The grip angle/size issue is enough that I sold them and went with the XD.

edit: When the new Glocks come out, if the grip adjustability fixes my problems with them, I'll be going back.

I've always dismissed the M&P because I thought they were just a renamed Sigma? Sigmas had the same grip angle issue and there's just something about them that I've never really considered them. I've liked all my other Smiths, just never really gave much thought to the M&P pistols.

What about the Ruger SR9?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've always dismissed the M&P because I thought they were just a renamed Sigma? Sigmas had the same grip angle issue and there's just something about them that I've never really considered them. I've liked all my other Smiths, just never really gave much thought to the M&P pistols.

No, no, no, no.

The M&P is not as renamed Sigma. Completely new pistol. Don't discount it. Helluva gun with great ergonomics (at least for me). Give it a try before you write it off.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No, no, no, no.

The worst part about the M&P is probably the fact that they're made by the same folks that produced the Sigma. Yuck. :D

Everyone makes mistakes, the Sigma is S&W's mistake. Don't hold it against the M&P.

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    You might consider a Sig P220 or P6.

I have a XD9sc which is a great gun but it is balanced a little top heavy. This is not the case with the Sig. For me the Sig feels best in my hand and is comfortable to carry IWB, especially on the backside. Of course I also shoot better with the Sig due to the barrel length.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You might consider a Sig P220 or P6.

I have a XD9sc which is a great gun but it is balanced a little top heavy. This is not the case with the Sig. For me the Sig feels best in my hand and is comfortable to carry IWB, especially on the backside. Of course I also shoot better with the Sig due to the barrel length.

P229 for a .40 compact. or maybe try the P226 its the fullsize, but not a big pistol by any means.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Sigs are a bit out of my price range. I've looked at a couple, mainly the 239.

I need a lightweight gun too. Steel doesn't cut it for me. I might have to re look at the sigs but I've pretty much counted them out because of the price. I had to sell off two of my guns to justify spending 600 on my LCR. I feel like there's comparable or even better options for less money than the sig.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I've had my M&P 9mm compact for almost two years. No Failures of any kind with any ammo. It's accurate and conceals very well. I cannot think of a negative thing to say about it.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    This is the same reason why I traded my XD in for my PO Carry 9, I liked the XD but it just felt top heavy.
    Kahr makes a good gun, Para Ordnance has a C6 which is a .45. But both will cost a little more money.

:ingo:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm going old school here. :D
    5694_263410575436_769445436_8592472_138623_n.jpg

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Thought about a Walther PPS?

Some hate them, but I love mine! They come in 9mm and .40. I don't like Glock's either. Although my Glock time is limited, I think the trigger is similar. It's small, so I carry everywhere I can! Good luck in your seach.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Some hate them, but I love mine! They come in 9mm and .40. I don't like Glock's either. Although my Glock time is limited, I think the trigger is similar. It's small, so I carry everywhere I can! Good luck in your seach.

I played with the PPS at the local gun shop. Seemed like a decent gun, just didn't like the fit and finish, felt like it was a bit rough/unrefined. Like it needed to be broken in. The grip is too blocky, I would like it to be brought in a bit on the backstrap and brought out a mm or two on the sides. I thought fit and finish was similar to the PT709 that I sold off but with a less pleasant grip. I wouldn't say no on one though if the right deal came up. I think the Walther I really need is another P99c. Regret selling it from the day it left.

Has Sig released the new P250 subcompact yet? I don't see anything to that effect with a quick search.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I played with the PPS at the local gun shop. Seemed like a decent gun, just didn't like the fit and finish, felt like it was a bit rough/unrefined. Like it needed to be broken in. The grip is too blocky, I would like it to be brought in a bit on the backstrap and brought out a mm or two on the sides. I thought fit and finish was similar to the PT709 that I sold off but with a less pleasant grip. I wouldn't say no on one though if the right deal came up. I think the Walther I really need is another P99c. Regret selling it from the day it left.

Has Sig released the new P250 subcompact yet? I don't see anything to that effect with a quick search.

you mean this one?

Products & Services

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Sorry had to post this...

:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9e7RQkhJY]YouTube - An important message to gun owners[/ame]

Top Bottom