• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Agree with most to be proactive. Subjects all are covered for at least 30 days or whatever? Not specific info given here by me, but will say Y2K did teach a thing or three. Home defense and travel Security and/or overwatch is Good to Go. Have mats and plans to be busy with spring projects on hand.
    What could be better? Organize, and the 2 is one rule. Most preps wont go bad, wish i had a small chest freezer. Oh well, will survive. If gas and electric stays on, life goes well! Temps are rising outdoors, good.
    Good luck to all!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our MSG is meeting tomorrow to plan in more detail.
    We have extended offers of help to our two neighbor families with small children.
    We have signed up with the helping ministry at our church.
    I try to keep family members (especially SWMBO) from blabbing too much about our supplies.
    We have cash, and our emergency fund (in a bond mutual) is actually going up well.
    We can make as much bleach as we will ever use, and as long as we have old T-shirts and socks, we will never run out of TP.
    One of our far-away children has learned well, and has contingency plans to get home.
    The nearby kid is on his way to Eagle Scout, so his skills are quite useful.
    Getting the garden ready for planting.
    Chicken coop about ready, but might have issues getting chickens now.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Agree with most to be proactive. Subjects all are covered for at least 30 days or whatever? Not specific info given here by me, but will say Y2K did teach a thing or three. Home defense and travel Security and/or overwatch is Good to Go. Have mats and plans to be busy with spring projects on hand.
    What could be better? Organize, and the 2 is one rule. Most preps wont go bad, wish i had a small chest freezer. Oh well, will survive. If gas and electric stays on, life goes well! Temps are rising outdoors, good.
    Good luck to all!

Get on that immediately, IMO. To my shock, I'm the only person in my immediate circle that has a deep freezer. Mine came from craigslist, was 2 years old, is a about 18 ft^3 (so not small) and indistinguishable from new when I got it. It was $140. You can buy a one about half the size of mine for that price, brand new, at Sam's (well... before the apocalypse came).

My freezer, my generator, and my guns are the 3 cornerstones of the shaky platform of my preps. All are must have items, IMO. With those 3 things and the gas I typically have on hand, I'm good for at least 2 weeks at a time.

You have made me think that a second generator wouldn't be a bad idea though. If mine goes down and I can't get it running again, my platform crumbles.

So, I'll add that to the equipment category for my own preps:

-Get a second generator. Or maybe a pure sine wave big nasty inverter. That would be nice anyhow.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When the electrician was here yesterday to upgrade my service, I totally forgot that I had planned on him installing a transfer switch for a generator. He's got to come back to finish up a couple of things later, so I just texted him to see if he could do it then, how much it would cost, and if it was something I could pick up in advance at say, Lowes. Also asked if there were any specifics I needed to look for/be aware of. I know nothing about generators other than you start them and plug stuff into them. I know there's a thread on here about proper sizing that I will probably be reviewing if/when I get around to buying one. My main concern would be keeping the heat (gas furnace but still has electric fan and pilot), plus refrigerators, freezers and well pump. Also enough power to be able to keep tv and internet up and running.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    When the electrician was here yesterday to upgrade my service, I totally forgot that I had planned on him installing a transfer switch for a generator. He's got to come back to finish up a couple of things later, so I just texted him to see if he could do it then, how much it would cost, and if it was something I could pick up in advance at say, Lowes. Also asked if there were any specifics I needed to look for/be aware of. I know nothing about generators other than you start them and plug stuff into them. I know there's a thread on here about proper sizing that I will probably be reviewing if/when I get around to buying one. My main concern would be keeping the heat (gas furnace but still has electric fan and pilot), plus refrigerators, freezers and well pump. Also enough power to be able to keep tv and internet up and running.

I looked into doing that before, and decided for no more often than I really need my genny that I would rather save the cost and just plug stuff in with extension cords. So... You might want to ask him a different question of what it would cost to just make your furnace and well pump "pluggable". I was looking at between $500-$1000 to setup a transfer switch system the way I wanted it (with me doing the work) or probably under $100 to make the critical stuff just plug-in. Never got around to it before I sold the house and my current plan if SHTF here is just good ole wire nuts and bubble gum if I had to. I rent, so, not much more I can do ATM.

Also worth mentioning that my generator is nowhere near large enough to run all of that stuff at once, so I'd have to be switching breakers on and off anyhow. That factored into my decision too. Just as easy to plug/unplug.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I looked into doing that before, and decided for no more often than I really need my genny that I would rather save the cost and just plug stuff in with extension cords. So... You might want to ask him a different question of what it would cost to just make your furnace and well pump "pluggable". I was looking at between $500-$1000 to setup a transfer switch system the way I wanted it (with me doing the work) or probably under $100 to make the critical stuff just plug-in. Never got around to it before I sold the house and my current plan if SHTF here is just good ole wire nuts and bubble gum if I had to. I rent, so, not much more I can do ATM.

Also worth mentioning that my generator is nowhere near large enough to run all of that stuff at once, so I'd have to be switching breakers on and off anyhow. That factored into my decision too. Just as easy to plug/unplug.

I don't know what all is involved with the transfer switch but I do know he has some more work to do at the incoming base and I guess I assumed that's where it would be - right where the power comes into the house. Since all that stuff is under the roof of my deck, that would allow me to have the genny outside, yet still out of the weather. I'll see what he says. If it's crazy expensive then I'll probably just go another route, but it was only 1500 to upgrade my service, plus he installed a whole house surge protector that I just happened to have sitting around "for free". The upgrade cost was about half what it normally would've been but since they're doing all this as part of our sanitary sewer hookup, they're doing it at a heavily discounted rate. Hoping he might give me a break on the transfer switch as well.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I don't know what all is involved with the transfer switch but I do know he has some more work to do at the incoming base and I guess I assumed that's where it would be - right where the power comes into the house. Since all that stuff is under the roof of my deck, that would allow me to have the genny outside, yet still out of the weather. I'll see what he says. If it's crazy expensive then I'll probably just go another route, but it was only 1500 to upgrade my service, plus he installed a whole house surge protector that I just happened to have sitting around "for free". The upgrade cost was about half what it normally would've been but since they're doing all this as part of our sanitary sewer hookup, they're doing it at a heavily discounted rate. Hoping he might give me a break on the transfer switch as well.

Cool. Let us know! When I priced out mine that was just for parts with me doing all of the labor. But... I like things to be the way I like them to be...

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I have realized that I have all sorts of weaknesses. We were a week or two ahead of everyone else, but didn't use that time too well. We have all sorts of water, but it's well-aged now and suitable probably mostly for flushing toilets. Plenty of stuff in the pantry, but no rhyme or reason to it, so who knows how well it would go in the long term. I left my generator sitting for two years in an unoperational state... today, I think I got it figured out, but had to charge the battery, so we'll see tomorrow if it isn't too nasty out. The 4x4 vehicle is running rough (hopefully just needs a cleaning of the throttle body), but it's an integral piece to the Plan B and it'd be a drive pretty miserable. Protective equipment-wise, need to get some surgical masks once they're available--I stood in a sea of infection called the Kroger checkout early this morning (y'know, when everyone else was supposed to be lazy and not there).

We are too reliant on grocery stores, so we'll be working on a garden and trying to plan ahead to keep some of it over the winter. Lots of homesteading sort of things that probably need to be learned that would come in handy.

Family... some are "meh, I'm young, and it won't bother me" and aren't too trustworthy to not go to and fro all willy-nilly. Others get the seriousness but just need to change their behaviors.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My preps...well, were low...as we were rotating some stock and had a freezer issue. We had adequate TP. While ahead of 95% of the population, I see areas that need work, I see areas that need a complete upending, and I see areas that I did pretty much right.

Don't procrastinate on preps, as tomorrow may not be available to get that need. Buy in bulk, put some away. Replenish as you use.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Wall of text warning- I learned a lot. I knew that I needed to prep, but have either been unable or put off things I should not have. Not only did I manage to put together supplies in record time (and without being gouged!), I learned a lot and my wife is now on board with at least basic 1 or 2 months worth of stuff once we can do proper bulk buying again. I know I'm blessed by how it worked out- next time I'll be ready.

About your preps?
    New to this. I've wanted to for quite some time but I had an inkling of the trainwreck to come and made it by mere hours.

We already buy in bulk so grabbing a single large pack each of toilet paper and paper towels was a necessary but easy task. We beat the worst of the panic by hours, but sanitizing wipes and Germ-X were already gone. We actually need to clean, between 4 kids, and me being in college and working in Fire/EMS.
    Really we were due for a CostCo visit and now I see that those visits need to occur BEFORE the actual end of supplies approaches.

Food- I went with a plan in mind. 30 days easy, and under $300. We did run out of Oreos so that's rough (ha!). Really the biggest thing is our experience buying in bulk. We just doubled our normal trip and made it easy to not go out anywhere. The folks I saw with 8 cases of water and 6 bags of Doritos probably didn't have a real plan... Anyway, our freezer was already stocked so mostly pasta and sauce and frozen pizzas were the goal, easily done. Those were for the "quick meals" and so far our dinners have not lacked in meat or veggies.
    Salt, flour, yeast, sugar make for many options. My wife is a master chef and baker (not in an employment sense, but she'd do well on a kitchen competition show) and I believe I'll have homemade bread when I get home today! Our grease jar means gravy is easy even without meat.

Lesson learned on food? Be prepared enough that going to the grocery is completely unnecessary. Except Oreos. Those need to be fresh.

Water- We maintain a stockpile of bottles as my wife won't drink well water and filters that depend on having power, water,etc. are low priority till we move this summer.
    I did snag 3 LifeStraws on Amazon which I've wanted for a while anyway.

About your hardware?
    Again, by mere hours. After several range sessions from building my stable of ARs and keeping my pistol skills up, I was running low on ammo. Made an order right before everything online sold out, and have received it. Also have all my ARs fully functional as some unforeseeable issues required several parts like anti-walk pins and a 2 month Geissele turnaround- but it's all here now.
    While important, more important was sticking to the budget while I built up my safe and ammo. I got lucky, but at least now I have a solid base to maintain, hopefully won't need to rebuild again.

Vehicles just got maintenanced couple weeks ago and are running well enough except for one needs an oil change.
    Should have done that already.

Medical equipment is usually solid given I'm a paramedic, though I wish we had taken better stock of OTCs beforehand. Even though we use meds for us or the kids sparingly, seems like there never is enough of it to go around. We do have vitamin C (normal supplement levels that we often do for flu season as well) that even I am taking.

About other preparedness?

Financials- my bank's computer system is down as of between Thursday night and Friday morning. It was a pure fluke that I sold an AR (fair pricing given the accessories, not gouging even though it was Armslist lol) and therefore had cash.

Currently my bank says they can't even see my account iinfo. I can't view anything on the app or website, though we have used the debit card online. Need to swing by an ATM and see if it works. Three months pay, with no known date for a fix.

Credit cards, cash, and another bank account are my backups, but those could have been easily useless. I need a proper fire/water safe for my guns, ammo, papers, and about a month's worth of cash (most reasonable for me currently). That's the big plan for this next one to two quarters.

Basically- by the grace of God, we are doing well, because He is the only way everything worked out so perfectly. I found all that I aimed to buy and we won't have needs for a reasonably long time. I hope and plan to be more prepared next time, and I'm still working on what I can during this lockdown.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    The biggest problem I have had recently is a moisture related issue. I was going through my bags recently to be sure all electronics were charged and all is well only to find a mold issues. I guess that little bit of water that slides off your trunk when you open it in the rain had made its way to my bag and destroyed a mag fire starter, the cardboard box to a deck of cards, an amount of paper cash (washed it and it was fine), a radiological filter straw pouch, and a molle gun cleaning kit I put some cloth rags in. Also, I noticed my emergency ration was expired and my hot sauce changed color. I dismantled everything not damaged and washed it all the hopefully prevent spores from doing this again in the future. I need to be more careful to avoid moisture if storing a bag in the car. I'm thinking ill put a trash bag over it, which also will make it less conspicuous. Ill try to add a few photos. DSC_1129.jpg DSC_1131.jpg DSC_1130.jpg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Not sure how long that stuff was in there, but that's not a normal amount of damage for stuff just left in a normal car trunk for less than decades. I suspect your trunk may actually be leaking (bad gasket, tail light houses leaking, needs adjusted, etc).

Since this is a car where space and weight matters less, seems like you could get a good, legit, .50 box or two and keep stuff in it was some desiccant if it turns out your car is fine.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Ok.. I'll be even more transparent. The oldest child asked to go through their BOB. When I started going through them, I realized it hadn't been a couple of years since we last updated them... it had been YEARS. Utterly comical seeing the size clothes that were in them. A total fail on my part, oh mighty family leader :(

A child will lead them, I guess... :)

Time to see what other preps I thought were right 5+ years ago are still good to go. Good grief.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I had semi-recently changed from event-based prepping to people-based prepping. It worked for this one, I guess we will see if it holds in the future.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just double checked, and in addition to the non-perishable preps I did about 3 weeks ago when this panic buying wasn't a thing yet, I do have two Wise Foods buckets. One with 60 servings, and one with 84 servings, so that made me feel a little better. They're all "meals" (breakfast and dinners, but mostly dinners). I've been able to keep the fresh things (eggs, milk, cheese, butter, meat) stocked up by making short trips at varying times throughout the days. For not having really been a prepper like many on here, I think I've done okay.

My weak spot would be first aid/medical supplies although I did pick up cold and flu stuff to at least aid in treating the symptoms if I were to get sick. I get my prescriptions (thyroid and cholesterol meds) in 90 day supplies and I'm still in good shape there. More than prepared when it comes to guns and ammo, including reloading supplies, so that's not a worry. I do have two first aid "kits" with basic supplies but really need to evaluate those and supplement as needed.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Not sure how long that stuff was in there, but that's not a normal amount of damage for stuff just left in a normal car trunk for less than decades. I suspect your trunk may actually be leaking (bad gasket, tail light houses leaking, needs adjusted, etc).

Since this is a car where space and weight matters less, seems like you could get a good, legit, .50 box or two and keep stuff in it was some desiccant if it turns out your car is fine.
    Id say it was probably a year since I last went through it. I though the bag itself was water resistant (maxpedition falcon II). Closed I think the trunk is fine, but I can remember opening it with snow on top and maybe some getting in and not thinking anything of it. You did give me a good idea though, I think ill get one of those wet basement buckets and through it in there to help out a bit.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I had semi-recently changed from event-based prepping to people-based prepping. It worked for this one, I guess we will see if it holds in the future.

Well, in event-based prepping, you can identify things and skills that would be useful to minimize specific problems. What is people-based prepping?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, in event-based prepping, you can identify things and skills that would be useful to minimize specific problems. What is people-based prepping?

For me, prepping for every contingency isn't feasible. I simply don't have the money, time, or space for the massive amount of hard goods that "being ready for everything" entails. So, if I already have a the baseline set of preparations that I have determined will see me through 12-16 weeks with no resupply, I can focus on gathering information early and reacting to specific events with the intent of getting through them comfortably instead of just surviving.

For instance: NCoV-19. I don't spend my days pursuing a microbiology degree. Once Wuhan locked down, I determined that the event had reached the point of concern. I then began studying what I could find about the virus and other past pandemics. (shoutout to MedCram for providing concise and easily-understood material) After a week of research and more lockdowns, I figured it was going to start tripping switches in the US. Whether it was going to be a pandemic or just economic problems wasn't yet known, and to me it didn't matter: something was going to happen and herds of panicky people are easier to predict than the actual subsequent events.

People rush the same things for the same reasons every time there is the threat of disaster. People have a mental checklist of stuff they think they need for immediate term, short term, and medium term comfort. You don't see runs on TP for a moderate snowstorm, for example. We saw this play out over the last ten or so days: first the immediate needs, then the short term, then the intermediate, and then the run on guns and ammo. The perceived needs changed as information was gradually dispensed concerning the event. Being able to reasonably forcast the likely end result sooner than the herd allowed me to take and easily-stored prepping resource (money) and convert it into harder-to-store and somewhat event-specific materials before I had to arm wrestle a Covid Queen over an item that I thought helpful to my specific situation.

I keep a month of TP on hand, usually not three. It was easier to get in early on this one than to allocate resources necessary to have it around all the time.

Anyway, it's basically "Observe events; prepare for people/reactions". And maybe it just happened to work out and I'm completely off in the giggle weeds. :dunno:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I just double checked, and in addition to the non-perishable preps I did about 3 weeks ago when this panic buying wasn't a thing yet, I do have two Wise Foods buckets. One with 60 servings, and one with 84 servings, so that made me feel a little better. They're all "meals" (breakfast and dinners, but mostly dinners). I've been able to keep the fresh things (eggs, milk, cheese, butter, meat) stocked up by making short trips at varying times throughout the days. For not having really been a prepper like many on here, I think I've done okay.

My weak spot would be first aid/medical supplies although I did pick up cold and flu stuff to at least aid in treating the symptoms if I were to get sick. I get my prescriptions (thyroid and cholesterol meds) in 90 day supplies and I'm still in good shape there. More than prepared when it comes to guns and ammo, including reloading supplies, so that's not a worry. I do have two first aid "kits" with basic supplies but really need to evaluate those and supplement as needed.

Where did you buy your Wise buckets? We have MREs and are looking to expand that area of preps so I've been looking for good deals on main course buckets.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Where did you buy your Wise buckets? We have MREs and are looking to expand that area of preps so I've been looking for good deals on main course buckets.
    I bought mine on amazon but I've seen them for sale in the camping sections of rural king. I would caution that if your buying commercial long term food store to pay attention to the meat content. A lot of these companies are just selling oat meal, noodles, and instant mashed potatoes with "meat flavor". Personally I'm partial to mountain house.

Top Bottom