• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The next time I hear this I may explode.

Here is the problem.Making the world a better place is selfish,and incredibly so.
    How do you define better?Most all people define it as something they see that needs changed to fit their belief system or world view.
    Better community,better city,better state,better country,better government,better WORLD ooooooohhhh gasp awwwwww.

This saying means to me you want to force your belief system onto me an individual with his own belief system and values.What you see as "better" others may view as worse.

One of the great things about humans are our different cultures,belief systems,and even religions.There will never be a "better" world.Any change you make will offend,criminalize,or be viewed as worse by someone.

While it may give you a great sense of power when others share your view,when you force your "better" onto other people it does not make it moral.You have no right to force your belief system or values on anyone.
    Not all belief systems will be compatible and your world view is not shared by many.

Does this mean we as a species can not improve our society or the world we live in.No it certainly does not mean any such thing.We as a species can certainly improve many aspects of human existence.An improvement must not be better though.Improvements do not force belief systems on others or infringe on the rights of individuals to believe as they see fit.A great improvement to start with would be tolerance of other humans cultures and belief systems,along with the acceptance you can not force them to change.

Feel free to better yourself,do not try to better the rest of us or the human condition.Everyone let us stop trying to make the world a better place.It is selfish and only serves to divide us as a species.

Just a few babbling thoughts I had this morning when trying to answer a person about a "better society".
    To them this meant me accepting openly gay culture as better.This was my answer.

It could just as easily apply to multiculturalism and many other "betters"that would force me to change by beliefs.

On a side note.I realized just how hard it is to be tolerant when you have a fixed belief system.It is why I added it to my list of improvements.

babbble babbble babble....lol

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    247_1235765840490_320_2406.jpg

All of them, better worlds.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Actually, making the world a better place shouldn't be that hard.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

If people showed others the same level of respect they expect to get, let people live their lives as they see as fit instead of telling them what to do, etc. this world WOULD be a better place.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    World would be a better place without all these jackwagons trying to make it a better place. Kinky boots if that's your thing, but you should find Serenity your own way ;)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Feel free to better yourself,do not try to better the rest of us or the human condition.Everyone let us stop trying to make the world a better place.It is selfish and only serves to divide us as a species.

Are you trying to make the world a better place by telling us all to stop trying to make the world a better place?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Actually, making the world a better place shouldn't be that hard.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

If people showed others the same level of respect they expect to get, let people live their lives as they see as fit instead of telling them what to do, etc. this world WOULD be a better place.

You mean like it was before man realized he could do just about anything he wanted?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Man has ALWAYS been able to do whatever he wanted. It's just a matter of whether you treat others as you want to be treated or not.

I understand that but you can treat someone how you want to be treated and they don't have to treat you how you want to be treated and then you go to war and then you hate eachother for all time. I think it's happened before.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I understand that but you can treat someone how you want to be treated and they don't have to treat you how you want to be treated and then you go to war and then you hate eachother for all time. I think it's happened before.

Not disagreeing at all with your statement, merely making the point that it wouldn't be that hard to make things better. Unless showing respect is THAT difficult (which if you look at enough forums and comment sections, especially those of a political bent, apparently IS that hard to do).

For example, people who don't like guns don't have to like them or own them. I don't think anybody here would care if they change their opinions, it's more about respecting OUR positions and beliefs and not trying to take our rights away because they don't agree with them.

Top Bottom