Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    When was the last time you:

Changed/tested your smoke detectors
    Carbon Mono detectors.
    Ran a night fire drill and had your kids follow the plan.
    Had a family meeting to go over what/where to go and go in an emergency.
    Checked to make sure you had proper disability/Life coverage to protect your family.
    Rebalanced your portfolio to protect your retirement.

Many emergencies are more likely to happen than what we commonly read about here.

Add to the list.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Very true - not that it's a bad idea to prepare for anything, but the possability of a massive zombie invasion isn't nearly as high as a house fire..

Longshot7mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Sailor,

I couldn't agree with you more. My wife and I have one child of 20 months and another on the way and that was our focus during the last few months. We setup life insurance and college funds for both kids and have checked everything we need in the house for fire, power loss, or tornado. It is always a good idea to make plans and prepare for more common things other than invasions or martial law (although I am preparing for that also). Besides you will find that most of the stuff needed is good for all types of scenerios anyway. Batteries, water, extra food, extinguishers, and get the hell out of the house pans are always needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you for the reminder, Sailor.

I have just issued the edict that 9V batteries SHALL be purchased tomorrow, all smoke detectors in the house and basement SHALL be retrieved and delivered to me, I SHALL change the batteries (I always write the date on the detector with a Sharpie too), and then the alarms SHALL be returned to the proper point of installation.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thank you for the reminder, Sailor.

I have just issued the edict that 9V batteries SHALL be purchased tomorrow, all smoke detectors in the house and basement SHALL be retrieved and delivered to me, I SHALL change the batteries (I always write the date on the detector with a Sharpie too), and then the alarms SHALL be returned to the proper point of installation.

if you can, write the date on the battery. if you write on the detector, then as time goes by, you end up with quite a list...

great post, sailor. we all need to think of these items.

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Go one step farther guys and physically inspect your outlets and fixtures.

Especially these non-Underwriter's Laboratory Approved (read chinese) surge protectors and breaker strips. I found 2 in the last few months that the breaker was fused and the outlets themselves were melted with noticeable blackening and odor. 5 outlet strip with three used, one a small lamp with a 40 watt bulb, one outlet was used to power a Sega Genisis. The other a smell Awai stereo. No way those two outlets should have failed like that under those small loads.

GF bought me three small electric heaters for my garage. 2 of the three burned out the thermostats within a month and the third caught fire at the tip-over switch. All non-UL junk.

I recieved a Philips/Magnavox Flat screen TV as a gift. It's a good thing it was a gift. One month after the warrenty went out, so did it. first estimate for repair was $1700. Second was $1250. A little internet digging revealed the solution. A non UL device, 25 volt capaciter in a 35 volt circuit on the power board. Was able to get the proper component localy for 5 dollars. If you have one of these white elephants pm me for the details on the repair.

If it doesn't have the UL logo, pass. It isn't a bargain.

disclaimer: i am in no way affileated with Underwriter's Labratory, just tired of crap.

Warwagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Check everything on your birthday... I've held by that rule for Years.

Batteries are replaced every year and Co2 detectors every 2nd year.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Just a quick note. Some of the older CO detectors actually have a life span, meaning that they need replaced. They used a gas sensor that degraded over time.

Just another thing to check for!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The batteries are now in my possession. I await "delivery" of the smoke detectors.

We need to buy new CO detectors.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Thank you for the reminder, repped. Why for something so simple?

3 years ago, my grandfathers Mercury Gran Marquis caught fire after running some errands. (fire dept. said something with wiring, short or something) His garage was attached to his house, and about 1/2 hour after getting home, he smelled smoke, and went searching the smell out. His car was COMPLETELY in flames along with the outer wall of his garage.

NONE of his smoke detectors went off, and he had 8 in the house (3 bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, laundry, hallway and garage.

What my family thinks is wierd (I before E except after c?), My grandmother passed on from cancer less than 2 weeks before. Before she went, she said, and I quote word for word, "Honey, don't worry about all my nic-nacs, I'll get rid of them soon." holy crap...

Keep up on these things, please people.

ETA: DISPOSIBLE SAYS HES UNDEAD!!! GET HIM!!!! :D;)

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    i change batteries in co2 detectors and smoke alarms 2 times a year when we change the time
    that way i now i have fresh batteries

Top Bottom