Lets talk about hats for the sun phobic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I like the outdoor research boonie style. I don't remember the exact name. Light weight, ventilated and water resistant. The band inside even absorbs some of the sweat off of my shaved head. You can dip it in water and it has a cooling effect as you wear it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've tried to wear enough of the adjustable ball caps that were labeled as "One size fits all", to know that's often not true. I recently found a large sized one that fits, but it's got an elastic band that grips and that's annoying. I wear a wide brim straw hat when I work in the garden, on hot, sunny days, and I like that one, but when I'm hiking, I need a hat that I can stow easily without crushing it. I've been thinking about one of the wide brim canvas hats, but a ball cap is better to wear under the rain hood to keep rain off your face.
    As far as hat tech. /use goes I actually prefer to wear wide brim hats under my rain coat hood. It creates more space for air flow, less heat buildup and less likely to get my glasses fogged up.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Interested in this subject. I shave my head and I’m a ginger that sweats a lot. Normal ball cap after a few hours of being at the kids sports and it’s completely soaked. The sweat will drip off the front of the brim when I look down. Need something that’s sturdy.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Interested in this subject. I shave my head and I’m a ginger that sweats a lot. Normal ball cap after a few hours of being at the kids sports and it’s completely soaked. The sweat will drip off the front of the brim when I look down. Need something that’s sturdy.
    Yeah, that's some kind of trifecta!
    I'm not a ginger but being outside all day today (overcast, cloudy, cool) with sunscreen and I'm still getting rash like redspots and pins and needles burning instead of typical red tone.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    mens-crusher-hat-80502.aspx
    mens-crusher-hat-80502.aspx
    80502_DKH.jpg-495x495

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store...uUuKjZ8nvFQFwp-QRHSVTSCIeyrwnJ1QaAkmMEALw_wcB

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wear a hat most of the time, usually a baseball cap of some sort. For being outdoors in the sun I use a columbia bora bora, but the brim is kinda floppy. I really kinda like this one though. Might have to look into that.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    As far as hat tech. /use goes I actually prefer to wear wide brim hats under my rain coat hood. It creates more space for air flow, less heat buildup and less likely to get my glasses fogged up.

I've never actually tried to wear a wide brim hat under a rain hood, it just seemed like it wouldn't work. But, now I'm inclined to try it out.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wore one of these all over South/Southeast Asia until the leather cracked. I told the folks the hole in the front from the cracked leather was from a gun shot. They believed the bullet bounced off my head until I finally fessed up. It did a good job protecting my face from further skin cancers, and the fold-up function was great for packing it away on the airplanes. I now have a second one. (Well, actually, I have a third one. I left my first on a bus in Hyderabad so I replaced it with then that developed the hole in the front.) Excellent hat.

attachment.php

https://www.minnetonkamoccasin.com/accessories/styles/hats/airflow-fold-up-outback/

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Bapak, does it come with a leather whip?

Kidding aside, what iis the maintenance for a nice leather hat like that? It seems like something that, if taken care of, would serve very well for a long time. Also, I can't picture how you get it to fold?

Oops, the folding is in the link.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wore one of these all over South/Southeast Asia until the leather cracked. I told the folks the hole in the front from the cracked leather was from a gun shot. They believed the bullet bounced off my head until I finally fessed up. It did a good job protecting my face from further skin cancers, and the fold-up function was great for packing it away on the airplanes. I now have a second one. (Well, actually, I have a third one. I left my first on a bus in Hyderabad so I replaced it with then that developed the hole in the front.) Excellent hat.

attachment.php

https://www.minnetonkamoccasin.com/accessories/styles/hats/airflow-fold-up-outback/

I tried one of those and found it much too hot.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was being irresponsible yesterday and not taking proper precautions. This is just a few hours. Normal hats just make my head so unbelievably hot.

Be careful with that. I've had some skin cancer cut out and it is no fun, especially if they need to start figuring out where to get replacement skin from.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    And death by metastatic melanoma is a not a picnic. My dad died from it and my brother had it but caught early enough to simply have it cut out. His was very close to be deep enough to spread.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've always been a straw hat guy in the summer when it's hot and I'm on a tractor or mowing. However, mine disappeared last summer and has not been replaced yet. If anyone has one they like (cheap preferably) let me know. I need to get another.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Bapak, does it come with a leather whip?

Kidding aside, what iis the maintenance for a nice leather hat like that? It seems like something that, if taken care of, would serve very well for a long time. Also, I can't picture how you get it to fold?

Oops, the folding is in the link.

More than once I heard people in the aisle of the plane tell their companions that "Indiana Jones is on the plane!" I was often he center of attention when I left the plane, too. The immigration folks always looked over my document very carefully. One time a security guard was so sure I was the real Indiana Jones and was hiding a weapon that I had to drop my pants to show him the scar from my hip replacement. The only way I would prove the metal detector was responding to my artificial hip was to moon the idiot.

I agree that a nice hat like this should last for a long time. My second one (I left the first one on a bus when it was only a year old) lasted for about ten years (2005-2015). I did not do any care of the leather. I should have done more, and I will do more on the new one. Just have to figure out what it needs.

Top Bottom